Bills training camp practice 8/11

That the 3rd team offense is going against the 1st team defense. That is not and never has been an accurate statement. That is the reason EJ is failing in practice.

Where is EJ failing in practice? He had a poor outing yesterday but otherwise most reports having him play pretty well in the past 5 or so practices/scrimmage.

Nobody has separated themselves in practice so this thing isn't going to be decided based on a few practices. If someone lights it up this weekend and next they'll take the reigns. My guess is that whomever looks better between Tyrod and EJ gets the start in the 2nd game. If they perform well this week and next the job is theirs. If everybody sh*ts the bed they'll go with Cassel.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That the 3rd team offense is going against the 1st team defense. That is not and never has been an accurate statement. That is the reason EJ is failing in practice.

It was yesterday.

Matthew Fairburn @MatthewFairburn

Matt Cassel threw back to back touchdowns while he was working against the third team defense. Both nice throws to Clay and Harvin.

And I was also there to see that they were switched. At least in 7 on 7. Unless Dareus was moved to 3rd team or Terren Jones is a starting tackle.

Edited by The Wiz

Can Bill Belichick throw a spiral? Football is not rocket science, ya know. The kid has a college degree and has devoted his career to the Buffalo Bills. If he sees EJ air mail one or Tony Steward whiff on a tackle, I think he is qualified to report it. This is just such a tired argument. I was friends with Adam Gase growing up. He never even played football. Now he is an NFL offensive coordinator.

Those guys in your example devoted their lives to football. They didn't just show up at practice/games, watch it and report what they saw.

I've watched football for almost all of my 40+ years on the planet but that doesn't make me qualified to understand what's going on in practice - and I'm talking specifics - unless I've truly studied the game and/or know what the staff is working on and who is responsible for what on any given play.

I've seen thousands of plays on Saturdays and Sundays where I'm not sure who's mistake it was because I don't know each player's assignments. I never hear that sentiment reported by any of the media tweeting from camp. That's where the frustration comes from. It's full blown coverage without any understanding.

Many apologies if you feel that isnt the case...but from the tweets it sure did appear that way on a few other practices...including this one at times...

but you line up 10 different people and they can read the same set of tweets differently.

Here's how I see it:

Cassel was brought in because the team absolutely needed a somewhat proven veteran option. Taylor was brought in because of his unique athletic qualities and the fact he's never been given a shot to start. EJ is here because there's no reason to release him -- he's a developing player with a lot of tools, in whom they invested a 1st round pick.

All three are learning a new offense. It makes sense for Cassel to pick it up and be "ahead" at this stage of camp. Both EJ and Taylor have had good moments at camp, and neither has been horrible. The only QB I think anyone has thought looked downright bad was Cassel, and that was early on. They've all gotten better as time goes by. Nobody has looked consistently good against the Bills' top 5 defense -- surprise.

Cassel getting a lot of 1st team reps and starting in this preseason game means nothing with respect to the final decision as to who will start against the Colts. I repeat -- nothing. It could be as simple as Rex giving the veteran "first dibs." Comments from Sal Capaccio that suggest the competition is all but over are absurd. Neither Sal nor anyone other than the coaches (and players) knows what they've seen on tape and how they feel the three QBs have progressed (or regressed).

Rex said they won't likely make a decision until at least two preseason games. That's eight quarters of seeing what each of these guys does against opposition wearing different uniforms. The over-analysis of training camp completion percentages is laughable. We've seen the tweets -- Joe B. is too interested in following around Leodis' golf cart or the Pegulas' dog to give any truly insightful commentary. Sal M. from the D&C had the audacity to criticize EJ because he said he "had fun" during the scrimmage Saturday night. These guys are a joke.

I'll give these QBs my own "eye test" over the next two weeks of actual games, and I bet it will become pretty obvious who the QB should be. Until then, I'm done putting any stock at all into what the reporters have noted at camp.

P.S. I still think the job is EJ's to lose, although I'm very glad Cassel has had a good couple of days throwing the ball.

How else would you read that? He said that he wasn't an option for Week 1 because of his play.

If he said what you wrote verbatim, then no he didn't:

Sal: "We are getting to the point where EJ isn't an option for week 1"

Lurker: So how close are we to that point, Sal? One week? Two? If E.J. is productive Friday night, does that change your timetable? Or are you just stirring the pot to stand out from the media white noise around the QB derby?

As I understand it, they're still installing the offense. How can E.J. be counted out before the playbook has been taught and practiced over 1-2 preseason games?

Edited by Lurker

If he said what you wrote verbatim, then no he didn't:

Sal: "We are getting to the point where EJ isn't an option for week 1"

Lurker: So how close are we to that point, Sal? One week? Two? If E.J. is productive Friday night, does that change your timetable? Or are you just stirring the pot to stand out from the media white noise around the QB derby?

As I understand it, they're still installing the offense. How can E.J. be counted out before the playbook has been taught and practiced over 1-2 preseason games?

That's fair.

Here's how I see it:

Cassel was brought in because the team absolutely needed a somewhat proven veteran option. Taylor was brought in because of his unique athletic qualities and the fact he's never been given a shot to start. EJ is here because there's no reason to release him -- he's a developing player with a lot of tools, in whom they invested a 1st round pick.

All three are learning a new offense. It makes sense for Cassel to pick it up and be "ahead" at this stage of camp. Both EJ and Taylor have had good moments at camp, and neither has been horrible. The only QB I think anyone has thought looked downright bad was Cassel, and that was early on. They've all gotten better as time goes by. Nobody has looked consistently good against the Bills' top 5 defense -- surprise.

Cassel getting a lot of 1st team reps and starting in this preseason game means nothing with respect to the final decision as to who will start against the Colts. I repeat -- nothing. It could be as simple as Rex giving the veteran "first dibs." Comments from Sal Capaccio that suggest the competition is all but over are absurd. Neither Sal nor anyone other than the coaches (and players) knows what they've seen on tape and how they feel the three QBs have progressed (or regressed).

Rex said they won't likely make a decision until at least two preseason games. That's eight quarters of seeing what each of these guys does against opposition wearing different uniforms. The over-analysis of training camp completion percentages is laughable. We've seen the tweets -- Joe B. is too interested in following around Leodis' golf cart or the Pegulas' dog to give any truly insightful commentary. Sal M. from the D&C had the audacity to criticize EJ because he said he "had fun" during the scrimmage Saturday night. These guys are a joke.

I'll give these QBs my own "eye test" over the next two weeks of actual games, and I bet it will become pretty obvious who the QB should be. Until then, I'm done putting any stock at all into what the reporters have noted at camp.

P.S. I still think the job is EJ's to lose, although I'm very glad Cassel has had a good couple of days throwing the ball.

I hope you are right. Over at BBMB, a vicious lot for the most part, the large tribe of EJ haters -- yes, they hate, they are not simply Buffalo Bills' fans --

have already concluded from EJ working mainly with the third team that he is virtually on his way out and that the battle is between Cassel and Tyrod.

I'll wait for GG and VABills to tell me how I am deluded and the local media is telling it straight.

I hope you are right. Over at BBMB, a vicious lot for the most part, the large tribe of EJ haters -- yes, they hate, they are not simply Buffalo Bills' fans --

have already concluded from EJ working mainly with the third team that he is virtually on his way out and that the battle is between Cassel and Tyrod.

I'll wait for GG and VABills to tell me how I am deluded and the local media is telling it straight.

The problem with this three-way carousel QB competition is that it will never end. You're giving everyone a glimpse into three QBs that you're assuming are on equal footing. Week 1, whoever starts, will have an extremely short leash. We'll be in the 2nd half game thread reading 'Tyrod couldve gotten around the edge there for that first down,' 'we really just need someone like Cassel to manage these drives' 'EJ needs to be in there, he doesn't even have a full season under his belt to prove himself!" It will never end.

You're deluded and the media is telling it straight.

Edited by VABills

Here's how I see it:

Here's how I see it:

Here's how I see it:

Amen. These sideline reporters can report what they see and add their two cents but they haven't the slightest clue what decision the coaches will make.

@viccarucci: Matt Cassel has another strong day, EJ Manuel fading. My #Bills Day 10 Camp QB Report: http://t.co/gEn00DKYt3

EJ Manuel: Seems to be falling out of serious contention for starting job. At one point, was with Matt Simms on far field doing stand-in work while Cassel and Taylor threw in 1-on-1s on main field.

So since he was on a different field makes him falling out of contention. Or was it the fact he was hanging out with Simms?

You're deluded and the media is telling it straight.

Thanks.

EJ Manuel: Seems to be falling out of serious contention for starting job. At one point, was with Matt Simms on far field doing stand-in work while Cassel and Taylor threw in 1-on-1s on main field.

So since he was on a different field makes him falling out of contention. Or was it the fact he was hanging out with Simms?

I used to like Carucci years ago.

Now it seems to me he is just part of the group think thuggishness.

EJ Manuel: Seems to be falling out of serious contention for starting job. At one point, was with Matt Simms on far field doing stand-in work while Cassel and Taylor threw in 1-on-1s on main field.[/size]

So since he was on a different field makes him falling out of contention. Or was it the fact he was hanging out with Simms?[/size]

This is a bogus interpretation I think. Other reports have indicated Manuel got his fair share of reps with the ones today, although a few less than Taylor. Yesterday the situation was reversed. The only real conclusion based on the last few days is that Cassel will start on Friday, which of course Rex has already told us. Beyond that, there is no conclusion to be reached in my opinion.

Here's how I see it:

Amen! This continual analysis of completion percentages in camp is pretty meaningless. You have two new quarterbacks and a host of new receivers dealing with a new offense and unfamiliar players and it's all supposed to jell early on? The same with those who've been on the team previously; the offense is new as are many of the players. Add to that the fact that we have new coaches telling players things many of them may never have heard before or are varients of what they've previously been told. New restaurants don't generally function well or consistently at the outset. So give it a chance to come together. Also, anyone who feels that based on early camp performance and no exhibition games we should have a designated starting quarterback either is hyper or unrealistic, or both.