Howard Simon Ready to Leave WGR?

Relax, WGR is an infant in the world of sports radio.A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo.If he leaves another warm bodied Bills fan will take his place.

I think you may be a bit confused on this subject. In fact, small markets are where many (most?) TV and Radio on-air "talent" gets their start. It is very common for some of the most talented young broadcasters to start in a smaller market. As such, Buffalo has been a hotbed for talent through the years.

Now, you are right that, as a rule, established stars don't flock to a market such as Buffalo---the money just isn't there to pay them, and they get limited exposure. But that doesn't mean the older local on-air personalities don't have talent. I don't make the mistake of equating fame/stardom/etc with talent. I mean, how can one argue that a guy like Colin Cowheard has more talent than someone like Howard Simon (for example)? Perhaps he has a stronger radio voice than Howard, though I'd say both are adequate for the job. What separates them, IMO, is Cowheard's willingness to engage in controversy for it's own sake. He is willing to make preposterous comments on the air, to make unfounded/over-the-top accusations and bark opinions I'm not even sure he truly believes. All this for the sake of controversy.

It's become clear to me, in modern media (and this is more true in talk radio than anywhere) controversy has taken the place of honest/reasonable discussion. And "talent" now means the ability, and especially willingness, to do whatever it takes to stir the pot. Because drawing an audience with controversy is much easier than to attract one with a calm discussion. After all, most every blowhard has an opinion, and is more than willing to share it. Relatively few have an intelligent and informed take on things, and have the eloquence to state it convincingly.

I haven't heard Howard in man years now, but he was always top-notch with Empire sports. He was the kind of sports talk-radio host that fostered reasonable discussion. So I guess he doesn't have the "talent" to make it in radio in a big market.

OK, end of rant.

I think you may be a bit confused on this subject. In fact, small markets are where many (most?) TV and Radio on-air "talent" gets their start. It is very common for some of the most talented young broadcasters to start in a smaller market. As such, Buffalo has been a hotbed for talent through the years.

Now, you are right that, as a rule, established stars don't flock to a market such as Buffalo---the money just isn't there to pay them, and they get limited exposure. But that doesn't mean the older local on-air personalities don't have talent. I don't make the mistake of equating fame/stardom/etc with talent. I mean, how can one argue that a guy like Colin Cowheard has more talent than someone like Howard Simon (for example)? Perhaps he has a stronger radio voice than Howard, though I'd say both are adequate for the job. What separates them, IMO, is Cowheard's willingness to engage in controversy for it's own sake. He is willing to make preposterous comments on the air, to make unfounded/over-the-top accusations and bark opinions I'm not even sure he truly believes. All this for the sake of controversy.

It's become clear to me, in modern media (and this is more true in talk radio than anywhere) controversy has taken the place of honest/reasonable discussion. And "talent" now means the ability, and especially willingness, to do whatever it takes to stir the pot. Because drawing an audience with controversy is much easier than to attract one with a calm discussion. After all, most every blowhard has an opinion, and is more than willing to share it. Relatively few have an intelligent and informed take on things, and have the eloquence to state it convincingly.

I haven't heard Howard in man years now, but he was always top-notch with Empire sports. He was the kind of sports talk-radio host that fostered reasonable discussion. So I guess he doesn't have the "talent" to make it in radio in a big market.

OK, end of rant.

I never said talent doesn't get their start at small market stations, that's obvious.If you read my post I stated that they don't move beyond those markets.I enjoy our local guys as well such as Tom Bauerle,the guy is awesome .I personally can't listen to local sports talk shows cause they go on and on about really stupid topics that are unrelated to sports at all then when they do a post game show they insult the majority of callers.I love listening to hockey talk coming out of Toronto, top notch.

I never said talent doesn't get their start at small market stations, that's obvious.If you read my post I stated that they don't move beyond those markets.I enjoy our local guys as well such as Tom Bauerle,the guy is awesome .I personally can't listen to local sports talk shows cause they go on and on about really stupid topics that are unrelated to sports at all then when they do a post game show they insult the majority of callers.I love listening to hockey talk coming out of Toronto, top notch.

Well, that's exactly what happens to ambitious talent at small markets: move beyond to bigger markets. Most of the top names in national media started in small markets, then moved their way up. The ones that stay put do so for a variety of reasons. But not everyone is in a race to get to NYC or LA.

Well, that's exactly what happens to ambitious talent at small markets: move beyond to bigger markets. Most of the top names in national media started in small markets, then moved their way up. The ones that stay put do so for a variety of reasons. But not everyone is in a race to get to NYC or LA.

You are correct however my point is that if they don't have the talent they stay in those small markets no matter how ambitious they are.

I wonder if Jeremy White would take the reigns if Howard left? I grew up in the same neighborhood with him, and graduated in the same HS class. Truly a good dude. Funny...I don't recall him being a Bills/Sabres fan growing up.

Maybe he can come over and help you stain that deck Johnny LOL.

Can you expound on why you think Tom Bauerle is awesome?

You are correct however my point is that if they don't have the talent they stay in those small markets no matter how ambitious they are.

Well, if you believe talent is what matters in the radio game (I tend to disagree, though it is a factor), then wouldn't it be fair to say, you simply don't move up from any market if you aren't talented? In fact, seeing as how little talent it actually takes to do the job, it's hard to believe you would even be able to keep a job in any market, if you lacked talent.

Remember, what you initially said was "A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo". So, what exactly is your position now?

Well, if you believe talent is what matters in the radio game (I tend to disagree, though it is a factor), then wouldn't it be fair to say, you simply don't move up from any market if you aren't talented? In fact, seeing as how little talent it actually takes to do the job, it's hard to believe you would even be able to keep a job in any market, if you lacked talent.

Remember, what you initially said was "A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo". So, what exactly is your position now?

Whatever position makes the least sense and/or makes him the biggest troll.

imo

My position is the same.If someone is good enough to work in Los Angeles or NY, they wont be working in Buffalo. Hey Dean, you sound like a radio fan, do you do any AM band DXing and if so what kind of radio do you own?

Whatever position makes the least sense and/or makes him the biggest troll.

imo

:lol:

I'm not yet familiar with his work, as I haven't been around much lately. I will continue to treat him as a respectable poster for the time being. But I appreciate the input.

My position is the same.If someone is good enough to work in Los Angeles or NY, they wont be working in Buffalo. Hey Dean, you sound like a radio fan, do you do any AM band DXing and if so what kind of radio do you own?

I am not all that into radio. I worked in media for 20 years or so. But mostly TV: local, network and consulting. While consulting I did a bit of radio stuff. I also helped start a (failed) startup company, testing music for the recording industry. I worked in local TV in Buffalo, Boston, San Francisco (twice, once local and once a startup cable network) and LA (network). And while consulting, I worked for many of the major broadcast and cable networks, hundreds of local TV stations, a bit of radio and other companies with media interests such as the NFL and MLB.

I worked with, or ran into, people in every market i worked, who started (or passed through) Buffalo. Most of them had fond memories of Buffalo, and great stories. (The best stories came from those were old enough to have worked with Irv Weinstein.)

When a local news director in SF (for example) is looking to hire new news/sports/weather "talent" (on air, or otherwise), they look at tapes from smaller markets. I can assure you, Buffalo is a market that is well respected---or at least was when I was in the business up through 2006. Buffalo is/was also considered a good market, for those looking to rise from even smaller markets.

Finally, there are many reasons one may not move to a bigger market. Perceived talent, and lack of opportunities are surely among the reasons. But for those with families (especially), who do not want to jump from market-to-market, Buffalo is a pretty good gig. WNY has a very low cost of living. It has GREAT people, good schools and is a great place to raise a family. As a member of the media, you are fairly respected and well known, but not hounded everywhere you go. Some may not want to bounce all over the country to make 20% more at each stop, only to have the money buy less and have less job security.

While I am admittedly less knowledgeable about radio, I believe "talent" is even less of an issue in radio than it is in TV. But of course, all of the other variables still apply.

:lol:

I'm not yet familiar with his work, as I haven't been around much lately. I will continue to treat him as a respectable poster for the time being. But I appreciate the input.

I am not all that into radio. I worked in media for 20 years or so. But mostly TV: local, network and consulting. While consulting I did a bit of radio stuff. I also helped start a (failed) startup company, testing music for the recording industry. I worked in local TV in Buffalo, Boston, San Francisco (twice, once local and once a startup cable network) and LA (network). And while consulting, I worked for many of the major broadcast and cable networks, hundreds of local TV stations, a bit of radio and other companies with media interests such as the NFL and MLB.

I worked with, or ran into, people in every market i worked, who started (or passed through) Buffalo. Most of them had fond memories of Buffalo, and great stories. (The best stories came from those were old enough to have worked with Irv Weinstein.)

When a local news director in SF (for example) is looking to hire new news/sports/weather "talent" (on air, or otherwise), they look at tapes from smaller markets. I can assure you, Buffalo is a market that is well respected---or at least was when I was in the business up through 2006. Buffalo is/was also considered a good market, for those looking to rise from even smaller markets.

Finally, there are many reasons one may not move to a bigger market. Perceived talent, and lack of opportunities are surely among the reasons. But for those with families (especially), who do not want to jump from market-to-market, Buffalo is a pretty good gig. WNY has a very low cost of living. It has GREAT people, good schools and is a great place to raise a family. As a member of the media, you are fairly respected and well known, but not hounded everywhere you go. Some may not want to bounce all over the country to make 20% more at each stop, only to have the money buy less and have less job security.

While I am admittedly less knowledgeable about radio, I believe "talent" is even less of an issue in radio than it is in TV. But of course, all of the other variables still apply.

Thank you for your reply Dean.Sounds like a great career,you should be proud.I 've been a huge fan of radio for many years .Unfortunately with technology many hobbies have gone by the wayside and radio DXing was one of the casualties of this.Now all one has to do is turn the computer on and google a radio station and there it is.Many many nights I would tune that old radio my grandfather gave me shopping for stations all over the US and Canada.

Also,thank you for your adult response to Greggy T. Although I have him on ignore he continues to follow all my posts with juvenille remarks,I'm only aware of this when someone quotes him.The moderators have given him free reign to continue his jihad for whatever reason.

Edited by Very wide right

BBB, I'd love to discuss Bauerle however much of the discussion would violate TOS in off the wall. PPP would be a better forum.

I don't think so. I'm not talking about his politics. I actually am on the same side as him..........It doesn't stop me from hating him.

Yeah. Bauerle is a small time idiot blowhard. He comes across as a big baby.

Just to show im not just a bitter 'leftie', I actually have a ton of respect for rush limbaugh. To carry a show and captivate an audience like that pretty much solo... every day.. that's mad skills. He is an all time great. It's one sided... but often times rush does introduce some very valid viewpoints.

I feel the same about jim rome... however I really don't think the 'smack talk ' portion of his show is entertaining at all

Edited by May Day 10

One - he's a loser

Two - he's a total narcassist

Three - he's insane:

Tom-Bauerle.jpg

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/wben-host-bauerles-behavior-raises-concerns-of-neighbors-police-20140111

Pretty sure Tom was a student of mine for a semester. He never looked like that, though. :lol: I might have on a morning or two, back then.

One - he's a loser

Two - he's a total narcassist

Three - he's insane:

Tom-Bauerle.jpg

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/wben-host-bauerles-behavior-raises-concerns-of-neighbors-police-20140111

Actually Tom is a great guy.Yeah I know the Buffalo snooze did a hit job on him to get even with his political views but i'm proud to call him a friend.I see you have attached a link to the "incident" involving Tom.Did you know during this time in his life he was dealing with a medical issue that included bleeding on his brain and as a result lack of rest and sleep?I see you have also included a picture of Tom that you found somewhere for "effect".I wonder if we paged through your family photo album or facebook account we could find a picture of you and then link a story about you when you were suffering a loss or medical trauma.Keep "casting those stones" brother,whatever makes you feel good.

Edited by Very wide right

Actually Tom is a great guy.Yeah I know the Buffalo snooze did a hit job on him to get even with his political views but i'm proud to call him a friend.I see you have attached a link to the "incident" involving Tom.Did you know during this time in his life he was dealing with a medical issue that included bleeding on his brain and as a result lack of rest and sleep?I see you have also included a picture of Tom that you found somewhere for "effect".I wonder if we paged through your family photo album or facebook account we could find a picture of you and then link a story about you when you were suffering a loss or medical trauma.Keep "casting those stones" brother,whatever makes you feel good.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 2 months later...

Did Caruci have a show on the old empire sports channel?

When I was up there ages ago I use to watch the Paul McGiure show.

I don't think so but was guest sometimes

Relax, WGR is an infant in the world of sports radio.A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo.If he leaves another warm bodied Bills fan will take his place.

I should apply to bring enlightenment to the masses B-)

• 2 months later...
Just wondering if Howard Simon leaving WGR has finally come down? He hasn't been on this week and, when I've been listening, they aren't saying he's on vacation - they are either not mentioning it or are simply saying he's "off."

Also, at the beginning of the week, Jeremy had a co-host I'd never heard of (can't recall his name) and I found it odd that he offered no background on the guy or why he was on.

Possible audition to take Howard's seat?

Is the Simon era over or am I reading too much into his absence?

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Just wondering if the Howard Simon leaving WGR has finally come down? He hasn't been on this week and, when I've been listening, they aren't saying he's on vacation - they are either not mentioning it or are simply saying he's "off."

Also, at the beginning of the week, Jeremy had a co-host I'd never heard of (can't recall his name) and I found it odd that he offered no background on the guy or why he was on.

Possible audition to take Howard's seat?

Is the Simon era over or am I reading too much into his absence?

I've been wondering the same thing. He was on one day earlier this week (Tuesday?), but no real mention since. The guy who was on Monday was also on one day last week. They kept saying his name like I should have known who he was. I found him pretty boring to tell the truth.