Trade Idea. Fred Jackson

I like the idea, but with Bryce Brown. Brown has some upside and I don't think he got a fair shake here but I don't think there's space for him here between a legit superstar in LeSean, team captain and locker room leader Freddy, short yard special teamer Boobie, and the cheap one cut runner of the future Karlos.

That is my feelings and why I suggested Brown for Doug Free in Dallas. I think that Brown would have a legit chance to be Dallas' starting RB. Free is an experienced tackle that can add to the competition here and at worst, be a veteran backup. It seems to make sense for both sides.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is my feelings and why I suggested Brown for Doug Free in Dallas. I think that Brown would have a legit chance to be Dallas' starting RB. Free is an experienced tackle that can add to the competition here and at worst, be a veteran backup. It seems to make sense for both sides.

Hell, I'd take a third round pick just so we get some of the money off the books and turn a profit.

The idea would be a good one if Fred Jackson were in his mid to late 20's. The problem here is that he's not. Why would any team give a player of value for a 34 year old running back? The offensive line of Dallas was so good last year because they had depth. So the suggestion that they would just part ways with that depth is a bit preposterous. To boot, Dallas already has youth on their roster at the position. McFadden (when healthy) has shown he's more than capable. Lance Dunbar has only been in the league for 4 years. Randle is 23 and averaged almost 7 YPC last year. In summary, I won't go all the way to calling the "idea" idiotic, but I'll simply say it's very much Madden-esque. Might work in the video game, but has no application in reality.

The idea would be a good one if Fred Jackson were in his mid to late 20's. The problem here is that he's not. Why would any team give a player of value for a 34 year old running back? The offensive line of Dallas was so good last year because they had depth. So the suggestion that they would just part ways with that depth is a bit preposterous. To boot, Dallas already has youth on their roster at the position. McFadden (when healthy) has shown he's more than capable. Lance Dunbar has only been in the league for 4 years. Randle is 23 and averaged almost 7 YPC last year. In summary, I won't go all the way to calling the "idea" idiotic, but I'll simply say it's very much Madden-esque. Might work in the video game, but has no application in reality.

The idea actually came from a conversation with a friend of mine who is a diehard Cowboys fan. From Dallas' standpoint they owe Doug Free a pretty good amount of money, he was bad last year (by Dallas's standards) and is currently in the spot that they want La'el Collins to assume. Does a team really want a guy that over the next 2 years will be averaging $6M a year on the bench?

In terms of Brown, he has done as much in this league as anyone except for McFadden who is made of glass. Brown was at 1 time the number one recruit in the country. The talent is there (even though he fumbles). If given the opportunity he could very easily be their number 1 back. I am not saying that the trade is likely but I don't think that the suggestion is preposterous either.

I love Jackson as a player and even more as a leader and person but let's be honest he took a step back last year. What about trading him to Dallas for one of their offensive lineman. They have the best line in the NFL and I am sure we could come up with at the minimum a strong guard back-up which we badly need. They need a running back pretty bad right now and he would have a great opportunity to be a solid contributor if not the starter to a team most probably playoff bound. Not a bad way to end a career especially running behind the best line in the NFL. We have plenty of talent to back up Shady McCoy. It would be a win win for all.

You should stop having ideas. You're not very good at it.

You would never get the true value of Fred ex back in a trade.

This is really the best way of putting it. Fred's value as a Bill is enormous-- far beyond just running the ball-- he has been a consistent safety valve for every Bills QB he's played with, he's a consistent blocker (and DIDN'T lose a step in that regard, last season, IMO), and he's a team leader on and off the field. His heart, and his intangibles are spectacular. And, he is perennially under-rated, and perennially exceeds expectations. This year will be no different.

The annual trade Fred Jackson post.

I hate them every season!

And, Dallas is in a win now mode. Thus, Fred's age isn't a big deal. They just would like to get one good year out of him.

And, Dallas is in a win now mode. Thus, Fred's age isn't a big deal. They just would like to get one good year out of him.

Sorry - got Fred & BB mixed up.

We are also in a win now mode. We'd like to get one more good year out of him.

Edit: I will admit my bias, here. There is no Buffalo Bills player I would rather see in a playoff game than Fred Jackson. And, IMO, there is no Bills player who deserves it more.

Edited by Rocky Landing