Astro-Notes Day 3: Sunday 8/2/15

Astrobot

so im not sure what to believe...listening to wgr this am.....they are making it sound like its the end of the world and all the qbs have been absolutely brutal....cassel being the least crappy....color me confused.

so im not sure what to believe...listening to wgr this am.....they are making it sound like its the end of the world and all the qbs have been absolutely brutal....cassel being the least crappy....color me confused.

There is very little reason to be concerned about the chicken little reports coming from Bills Beat reporters after 3 days of training camp. I do not take these reports at this point very seriously. I question how they are making those judgments, whether they know what they are looking at, and are capable of actually identifying what separates good, bad, and mediocre is the context of what the coaches are asking them to do. The pay no heed at all it seems to the role of the defense in any of this for example, or what routes are being run (or not run), etc. The fact that the various reporters seem to have differing opinions, and that credible reports from Astro, for example, yield a different take, are evidence of the superficial attempt to evaluate they are making. As for the stooges on WGR, what makes anyone think they know what they are talking about is beyond me. Just entertainment.

I am going to wait to see the product on the field before I form any opinions on who is "winning" the QB competition, or until the Coaches actually say something meaningful about it. I realize people are anxious to have the answer, but we do not have it yet, and relying on the these camp reports to form judgments on the subject seems silly to me. Sure the speculation is fun, but the facts are far from in.

There is very little reason to be concerned about the chicken little reports coming from Bills Beat reporters after 3 days of training camp. I do not take these reports at this point very seriously. I question how they are making those judgments, whether they know what they are looking at, and are capable of actually identifying what separates good, bad, and mediocre is the context of what the coaches are asking them to do. The pay no heed at all it seems to the role of the defense in any of this for example, or what routes are being run (or not run), etc. The fact that the various reporters seem to have differing opinions, and that credible reports from Astro, for example, yield a different take, are evidence of the superficial attempt to evaluate they are making. As for the stooges on WGR, what makes anyone think they know what they are talking about is beyond me. Just entertainment.I am going to wait to see the product on the field before I form any opinions on who is "winning" the QB competition, or until the Coaches actually say something meaningful about it. I realize people are anxious to have the answer, but we do not have it yet, and relying on the these camp reports to form judgments on the subject seems silly to me. Sure the speculation is fun, but the facts are far from in.

yeah im not looking for a tom brady typer performance at practice....there is also something to be said about just being a "gamer".....rob johnson looked awesome in practice and pooped himself during the games....i think what roman will be asking of the qb this year will be sufficient for any one of these qbs to take on....the decision will be who gives them a higher ceiling....my take....tyrod taylor

I focused on EJ at Sunday's Camp.

Timed him with my phone when he was dropping back when he was doing 7x7.

He consistently threw the ball around the 4 second mark and his throws even when caught were off target.

Look - I have been an EJ supporter. I want him to succeed. But to my untrained eye - he does not look like he has improved at all over last year.

Just my 2 cents.

He consistently threw the ball around the 4 second mark and his throws even when caught were off target.

Look - I have been an EJ supporter. I want him to succeed. But to my untrained eye - he does not look like he has improved at all over last year.

Just my 2 cents.

More or less what I am hearing as well.

Just my 2 cents.

That type of thing is somewhat expected with a new offense and is certainly something that can get better with repetition, but the fact that there's such a clear history of it with EJ makes hoping for that a lot less likely. Honestly, I've never been a fan of the pick, but of course hoped he would prove me wrong, especially after coming in and at least sounding and looking the part of a leader. It's early, still time for a surprise.

Astro, if you're still reading, while I know it's impossible to go over every little detail, I'm also interested in your take regarding what the media is seeing in the QBs (doom and gloom) vs. your much calmer view. Media exaggeration? A fans skew? Somewhere in the middle?

Edited by Acantha

I certainly don't know what the truth is about EJ or any of the other qbs.

In addition to Astro's fine reports, I'd like to recommend folks here give a look to

reports written by Badlandsmeanie over at BBMB.

The writing by itself is humane and funny, while the observations contradict the groupthink among Buffalo media.

The latest offering is pinned. Give it a read.

In addition to Astro's fine reports, I'd like to recommend folks here give a look to

The writing by itself is humane and funny, while the observations contradict the groupthink among Buffalo media.

Will read. Thx Doc

Enjoyed that read. He seems to be a little more all over the place than astro but still good to hear that both meh and EJ aren't as bad as the reports are.

Enjoyed that read. He seems to be a little more all over the place than astro but still good to hear that both meh and EJ aren't as bad as the reports are.

Yeah, he's not as focused as Astro. More interested in ambiance and the like, but I still believe his impressions are sound and worth throwing into the mix of opinions.

Edited by Dr. Who

Was he at Buffalo Bills practice on Sunday!?! Amazing the different things, different eyeballs see...

thanks for the tip. just read it! And now I'm in a good mood. And craving an elephant ear...