Tim Graham article on Aaron Maybin

I don't know - I know its supposed to be kind of a feel good story - man overcomes loss of son and mean NFL types on way to peace and artistic expression - but he still comes off as kind of a doosh to me.

His plan with Arrington was to look good at the combine - the slave market Maybin slags so badly - and get rich off it, which he did. The combine made him realize he was just a piece of meat and nothing was the same after that. Wah - give me a break.

I don't get all the Tim Graham negativity regarding this article. Some see this as Bills-bashing, Maybin-kissing. But I agree with Steve that Maybin doesn't look particularly great in Tim's portrayal.

TG gives us the POV of one of the great draft busts of Bills history. The article is a good peak under the tent into Maybin's surreal kaleidoscope world.

Maybin comes across as an interesting young man - certainly not the stereotypical jock. But I don't like the Bills any less or Maybin any more because of Tim's article.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what was it that made Timmah go from decent reporter to hating the Bills like they killed his family?

He doesn't hate the Bills.

But you find out fast when you express opinions on the Bills that if you don't agree with everything the Bills do the dogs like you will start barking.

You can be offended by it or you can take advantage of the attention wailing dogs bring.

He chooses to subtly jerk your chains and then pretend he didn't do it intentionally. It makes good copy.

Your outrage makes people look and they either join in your rage or laugh at how gullible and reactionary you are.

Football is entertainment and that's show business. :thumbsup:

So what was it that made Timmah go from decent reporter to hating the Bills like they killed his family?

Decent?

ESPN hiring Graham = the Bills drafting Maybin.

Neither was decent; each got canned.

It's funny sometimes. I didn't watch much (any) CFB growing up. I saw Curtis Martin in I believe the Blue Grey game and asked "who is THAT guy? I want HIM!" He turned out OK. Not a ton of hype, just a solid player.

I'm sure I saw Whitner play, but never really noticed.

Haha - that's the problem!

He doesn't hate the Bills.

But you find out fast when you express opinions on the Bills that if you don't agree with everything the Bills do the dogs like you will start barking.

You can be offended by it or you can take advantage of the attention wailing dogs bring.

He chooses to subtly jerk your chains and then pretend he didn't do it intentionally. It makes good copy.

Your outrage makes people look and they either join in your rage or laugh at how gullible and reactionary you are.

Football is entertainment and that's show business. :thumbsup:

You seem awfully upset. Everything ok?

Actually the plan was to make him look like what he is....and it's clear he saw a poser douche....while seeming to sympathize with him a bit too much for effect(and perhaps to create more opportunities to interview vilains of Bills past).

Presented in the matter-of-fact naivete of the infamous asking of EJ Manuel whether the Bills should draft another QB.

What?

It was just a question. :lol:

Definitely a notch above anything Sully does to get the hound dogs wailing.

I guess I'll ask this question: was this a story anyone needed to hear/read? I sure didn't, and I'm all about second chances and forgiveness and whatnot. All Graham's story did was remind me of what a douche Maybin is. He didn't present it in "matter-of-fact naivete" -- he presented it as if Maybin's comments were a scathing commentary about the NFL we should all be contemplating.

If Graham really did intend to "expose" Maybin as the pot-smoking crappy artist he is and I missed the joke, then kudos.

Hmmm....yeah, no wonder.

Ralph had his one big drunken spending spree in the 90s but he spent the rest of his career nickel-and-diming this franchise into the joke status it has deserved since then. Soooooo many stories like this...is it even a question anymore? Do we have to bring up his coaching/front office hires? Coincidentally, Maybin came along at the absolute low-point in all of this.

There are dozens of guys here who love to sneer sarcastically at you..."heh, Ralph is cheap <_< ," but while we know he (RIP and thanks) had strong philanthropic instincts, his refusal to pay the going rate for talent hurt the franchise badly.

I'm not suggesting Maybin deserved more than he got, but how many stories like this do we have to read before it sinks in?

for me, none. with all due respect, Ralph's passing was the best thing that's happened to his football business in almost 20 years. now the thing can breathe again... RIP Ralph you kept the team in town.

I guess I'll ask this question: was this a story anyone needed to hear/read? I sure didn't, and I'm all about second chances and forgiveness and whatnot. All Graham's story did was remind me of what a douche Maybin is. He didn't present it in "matter-of-fact naivete" -- he presented it as if Maybin's comments were a scathing commentary about the NFL we should all be contemplating.

If Graham really did intend to "expose" Maybin as the pot-smoking crappy artist he is and I missed the joke, then kudos.

Nobody needed to hear/read that story.

And yet it made an impact. Mission accomplished.

One of the most well crafted Bills stories I have read in years.

The article made me want to vomit. A perfect example of left wing non-sense. We're supposed to feel good that he fathers children out of wedlock. The pablum of the slaves non-sense, and the poor Freddy Gray BS. What a load of crap. He so cool smoking marijuana and painting wow...

We were paraded around in our underwear at MEPS when we were trying to join the military. Compensation: Precisely none. Those of us who passed all the prerequisites were fortunate enough to swear to give our lives for the country at the whim of those appointed over us. For that I never made even $50k a year.

Slavery? STFU. Go smoke your pot while you fingerpaint, you douchebag.

Too bad it didn't make the impact Timmy Boy was trying to "craft."

Anything Tyler Dunne has written in his two weeks on the job tops it.

Slavery? STFU. Go smoke your pot while you fingerpaint, you douchebag.

Seriously.

Another pot head. How special. What was it three lines into the article before Maybinot could refrain from glorifying the doobage. And yet still pot heads everywhere think it is harmless. AM is a better artist than I am or probably most of the people on this board, but not good enough to get a job drawing pictures for a 4th rate comic book. Maybe if he didn't light up for "inspiration" his art wouldn't look like disjointed cartoons.

The best part of the article is when he talks about how awesome he was on the Jets. Yet somehow they quickly cut him loose too. I think the pot was doing the talking again.

Anything Tyler Dunne has written in his two weeks on the job tops it.

TG's article on Maybin didn't make me feel sympathetic toward him. I'm not sure if that was the intention, it may have been to just add color to his story. I did find it interesting on a few levels, just because it provided details I'd never heard. But it made me feel the opposite of empathy toward Maybin. And worse about the pick (if that was even possible).

Speaking of Dunne, I was impressed with the story he did on the former NFL RBs talking about McCoy. It was a unique story angle. And while the article was largely positive in their comments I don't think they were cherry picked because Dunne is not a bills Kool aid drinker. His Twitter account actually takes some subtle shots at the Bills . So you know he isn't just looking for followers.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Finally getting to read it, as it wouldnt open on my phone.... some initial feedback

Fans grew to loathe him for his colorful personality and wee production.

i genuinely do not recall a colorful personality. did i miss it? i know i wasnt as tuned in to the day to day at that point but i feel like we barely knew aaron maybin the person, good or bad. simply that he was struggling at football, and a good deal of it seemed to be that he had to choose between big (slow, and not even that big) and quick (but tiny) and unfortunately he wasnt very good at either end.

Maybin was a crafty pass-rusher

this is a time id like graham to still post here -- what was crafty about his game? i dont recall anything "crafty" about his game. when with the jets, no exaggeration, about half of those big plays he was totally washed out of the play, 10 yards down field on the ground and the tackle abandoned him before he was able to catch up to a qb that forgot him and was holding the ball too long.

all the quotes about feeling like a slave, not wanting to be a journeyman or guy that had to scrape by to earn his spot in the league, to the "i showed them" despite being cut the following year.... yea, i dont doubt there was a lot of dysfunction in the transition the team went through, but it seems AM expected things to revolve around him instead of the expectation that there is a huge opportunity if you come in and trust the process and do whats asked of you. its not slavery to accept that you are a cog in something bigger. but if thats what he thought, it makes sense that hes happy hanging out in his loft getting high and painting by himself instead of really inserting himself into anything organizational. he got really lucky that he went that high, as it afforded him more freedom than he will probably ever appreciate.

Edited by NoSaint

Wow this thing took a funny turn...oh the contempt!

I don't agree that pro sports are "slavery."

I don't think much of that artwork.

I don't know why he doesn't seem to realize how lucky he is to have made a killing and be out with his health intact.

But, I would love to line up all the people who feel justified judging Aaron Maybin and having Tim Graham write the story of their life...I bet we'd learn all kinds of funny stuff. It's always the most self-righteous that have the skeletons in their closet.

Some of you guys need to lighten up. I'm sure you're not so perfect either.

The story didn't "need" to be written any more than anything else about the Bills needs to be. But he was a high profile player with an interesting/different story. And now it has been told.

Have a nice day!

ps...i hate weed also.

Edited by jester43

I thought it was a good article. Effective in it painted Maybin the person... created conversation on whether or not people are behind him at all. We often hear stories on players who literally gave everything to this game, and/or completely squander their earnings. I don't think I mind seeing someone leech off the game, even though it was largely at the Bills' expense.

As far as the paintings. I think they are good. What has happened in this thread is exactly what Maybin intended for his 40 million dollar slaves painting. People see it and it provokes different reactions, from anger, disgust, empathy, etc... I think it is effective, thus a good piece of art. Although Im not sure I 100% agree with it... it is interesting to hear Maybin's perception of the process of becoming an NFL player.

As far as his side of the story. Initial reaction reading it was 'man that sucks'... but then I think if he were to accept some blame on not making it, it would lend his 'side' a lot more credibility. Always seems to be someone else's fault and/or he didnt care enough.