Pettine/Farmer struggling for power in Cleveland

He probably would have been named head coach here after Marrone punked out.

I actually do not think that is true.....

I dont know who the "1st choice" was that the Pegula's decided not to go with.....but I can not help but feel that they were looking to make a big splash at HC.......Rex isnt just a D genious.....he is a "big fish" coach

I dont think it would have been Pettine.....who is too young.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really excited about Pryor at WR

:lol:

I actually do not think that is true.....

I dont know who the "1st choice" was that the Pegula's decided not to go with.....but I can not help but feel that they were looking to make a big splash at HC.......Rex isnt just a D genious.....he is a "big fish" coach

I dont think it would have been Pettine.....who is too young.

I don't think they were going for a big splash just the best guy, so they probably would have went with Rex anyway I suppose.

No matter how bad a situation it is, when an NFL coaching job is offered, you grab it. No question.

That's a bit of a hard sell to Bills fans who have seen not one but two men turn down this job over the past decade.

Air Force pilots used to say about the F-4, that it proved that given enough thrust, even a brick will fly.

After seeing the Bills defense play so well for Pettine and then Schwartz and presumably Rex's gofer (what's his name, anyway?), I'm thinking the Bills defense proves that with the right players, it doesn't matter that much who the coach is. And if the players insist on screwing up, it also doesn't matter who the coach is. I am remembering clearly Kiko (under Pettine) taking the wrong gap on many run plays, leaving the middle of the field clear for gash runs by the opponent. Was that Pettine's fault, or Kiko's? I also remember Kiko running players down, and making great pass defenses. Was that Pettine's coaching, or Kiko's talent?

Anyway, Pettine is a talented, fairly young coach who wanted to be a HC enough to walk into the Cleveland sewage. The Browns are getting better with him as HC. If he's there 20 years and turns the franchise around, good for him and them.

Yes -- the Falcons, Bears, Broncos, 49ers, and even Jets were regarded as high profile opportunities. Certainly all much better than Cleveland. Pettine would absolutely have been at or near the top of the list of candidates.

All better than Cleveland...yet even Cleveland didn't go out of their way to get Pettine. So there really isn't any reason to believe he would have been more attractive to better HC opportunities. That just doesn't make sense.

Last year. Pettine doesn't have the "fired head coach" stink Schwartz has, and by running a stud Buffalo defense he'd have been in line for any of the cushy jobs that were available this past offseason. Pettine was viewed as a future HC when he came to Buffalo; I'm sure we can dig up some "what if we lose Pettine after 1-2 years" threads in this very forum.

I don't think you can overlook the Marrone dynamic in analyzing why he left.

they were not a 'stud ' defense under Pettine. One of the worst defenses against the run in the league.

Pettine made the right decision--he knew about the dysfunction in that FO/ownership. Had he stayed another year, it's possible he would be out of a job right now, like Schwartz, i the wake of the Bills recent housecleaning. It's true that the 4 guys ahead of him refused the job in Cleveland, but it was Pettine's best chance at a HC job.

4 guys " refused" the job?

gonna have to link me on that one Weo. i know it was an ugly time in Cleveland but i think it was 5 interviews one who said yes and then got dicked around a little.

Not 4 no's. Or was it

?

Pettine would not have gotten the Marrone job once Doug and his fellow entertainers got back into the clown car and left Buffalo. JimS had HC exp and did not get an offer that we know of. Pettine? I dont think so..

But he might have a chance in Cleveland to get his chops and develop something?

Florio is really pushing his weight more and more. Being a daily reader of PFT. I can tell its him pretty quickly by the tone he sets. without seeing its Mike.

witty kinda but manipulative.

thanks gosh we have Tyler Dunne. refreshing

I hate Cleveland Browns and hope they feel nothing but missery for the rest of the football life they have.

No matter how bad a situation it is, when an NFL coaching job is offered, you grab it. No question.

Unless you are smart then you only grab the right one.

I hate Cleveland Browns and hope they feel nothing but missery for the rest of the football life they have.

Unless you are smart then you only grab the right one.

The right one is the one they offer you. Think about it. Even if you flame out, you are set for life financially. Sign me up to coach the Browns.

That's a bit of a hard sell to Bills fans who have seen not one but two men turn down this job over the past decade.

If you are an assistant looking for that first job, you don't say no. Wasn't that who we wound up with?

I admit I never thought of this either. It makes sense.

Looking back, we know that Marrone didn't endear himself to everyone. In retrospect, he certainly doesn't appear like a competent HC.

Pettine could have easily decided that the Cleveland opportunity, despite its flaws and dangers, was still better than hanging out with Marrone indefinitely in Buffalo.

I think this is right on. By all accounts Marrone was no fun to work with and no one respected him. It was a calculated gamble. Too bad it is not working out but there is always a chance Pettine can win the power struggle. It would be nice to see what he could do if left alone. He's learning a lot of lessons on the offensive side of the ball. Can you imagine being given the head case that Manzell is to be your QB?

The right one is the one they offer you. Think about it. Even if you flame out, you are set for life financially. Sign me up to coach the Browns.

If you are an assistant looking for that first job, you don't say no. Wasn't that who we wound up with?

You aren't set for life... B.c if you take the job for that reason you will never be a HC again. Like I said plenty of smart coaches chose not to go into the garbage pile called Cleveland.

You aren't set for life... B.c if you take the job for that reason you will never be a HC again. Like I said plenty of smart coaches chose not to go into the garbage pile called Cleveland.

plenty of talk that Pettine will be gone before the end of the season unless they start off really well. That's not likely.

All better than Cleveland...yet even Cleveland didn't go out of their way to get Pettine. So there really isn't any reason to believe he would have been more attractive to better HC opportunities. That just doesn't make sense.

Sure it does, after another year of coaching the Bills' defense.

Last year. Pettine doesn't have the "fired head coach" stink Schwartz has, and by running a stud Buffalo defense he'd have been in line for any of the cushy jobs that were available this past offseason. Pettine was viewed as a future HC when he came to Buffalo; I'm sure we can dig up some "what if we lose Pettine after 1-2 years" threads in this very forum.

I don't think you can overlook the Marrone dynamic in analyzing why he left.

Schwartz will get another shot imho. Currently an "advisor" to the league in an unpaid position. Of course, he is still collecting his Bills salary....I think he had two years yet to go. He can afford to collect his 2 or 3 mil per year and be selective about what comes his way.

Edited by bigK14094

I admit I never thought of this either. It makes sense.

Looking back, we know that Marrone didn't endear himself to everyone. In retrospect, he certainly doesn't appear like a competent HC.

Pettine could have easily decided that the Cleveland opportunity, despite its flaws and dangers, was still better than hanging out with Marrone indefinitely in Buffalo.

Right, It just clicked for me as well.

A very wise CEO once told me "always take the job no one wants", there is nothing but room to look good.

First of all any hc job is still a NFL hc job. There are only 32 of these.

Secondly, because it's a lousey situation and its known to be so, if it fails miserably you've got the benefit of that widespread perception.

Thirdly ANY level of success will be viewed extra favorably by outsiders irrespective of whether it is truely warranted or not.

Plain and simple recognition of opportunity.