Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

OK....THIS is why on this board we like to take stock in reports from our distinguished members.

Right now Joe B has this play down as "the play of the camp" which is helping to fuel the TT hype machine. It's good to hear the whole story.

It's scary to hear that Wood might be the weak link. He's been so good for so long.

Fairburn also said the same IIRC, and he was the only one who called Tyrod's scramble to TD pass a sack on day 1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's scary to hear that Wood might be the weak link. He's been so good for so long.

Wood was definitely one of my concerns going into camp. He had a terrible year last year, but so did everyone on the OL. Rex doesn't seem to be concerned so I guess we'll see. Who is the backup C -- Urbik?

It's interesting because nobody has gotten a free pass like Wood the last 2 years. Bandit and I talked about this last offseason and he defended his play in 2013. I always respect his opinion and thought maybe that I was missing something but he has since come around. The last 2 years Wood has been a bad player. He played next to bad guards but he was a part of the problem not a part of the solution. Hopefully the improved guard play can cover up some of Wood's shortcomings.

It isn't easy to block Kyle & Dareus either.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's interesting because nobody has gotten a free pass like Wood the last 2 years. Bandit and I talked about this last offseason and he defended his play in 2013. I always respect his opinion and thought maybe that I was missing something but he has since come around. The last 2 years Wood has been a bad player. He played next to bad guards but he was a part of the problem not s part of the solution. Hopefully the improved guard play can cover up some of Wood's shortcomings.

I'm with you on Wood. He has been getting a pass. The center position is crucial to the pass game(ask Tom Brady). If we want any success from the QB position he'd better "step up"!!!. And if he think Kyle&Dareus are tough, wait until he has to see Suh, Wilkerson, Richardson.

Wood was definitely one of my concerns going into camp. He had a terrible year last year, but so did everyone on the OL. Rex doesn't seem to be concerned so I guess we'll see. Who is the backup C -- Urbik?

Yes, Urbik.

It's interesting because nobody has gotten a free pass like Wood the last 2 years. Bandit and I talked about this last offseason and he defended his play in 2013. I always respect his opinion and thought maybe that I was missing something but he has since come around. The last 2 years Wood has been a bad player. He played next to bad guards but he was a part of the problem not a part of the solution. Hopefully the improved guard play can cover up some of Wood's shortcomings.

And it's not like they are game planning against Kyle & Dareus, so the blocking schemes aren't crazy.

I got shouted at for daring to question Wood's play last year but he really was poor. I've heard all the excuses about guard play but he lost his fair share of 1-on-1 matchups. I remember Letroy Guion walking him into Orton's lap quite vividly.

He's the 8th highest paid Center and he's not living up to that. Could have Joe Hawley for less than half of Wood's salary and the dropoff would be minimal.

@WGR550

Here's @SalSports video recap of the Bills Monday Night practice session: http://www.wgr550.com/Video-Bills-night-practice-8-3-recap-and-notes/21820917

i watched this and I'm confused since it is a very different report on EJ than the rest. Sal said there was no difference between EJ's practice last night and his other practices and that Cassel is still clearly in the lead. I'm not defending EJ because I wasn't there but that's not what everyone else said. Edited by YoloinOhio

i watched this and I'm confused since it is a very different report on EJ than the rest. Sal said there was no difference between EJ's practice last night and his other practices and that Cassel is still clearly in the lead. I'm not defending EJ because I wasn't there but that's not what everyone else said.

Sal is trying too hard to justify his notion that Cassel will get the job because of his ten years of NFL experience.

i watched this and I'm confused since it is a very different report on EJ than the rest. Sal said there was no difference between EJ's practice last night and his other practices and that Cassel is still clearly in the lead. I'm not defending EJ because I wasn't there but that's not what everyone else said.

Why is chicken little back??

CBF

I have to agree, from all accounts Cassel looked bad in 11-on-11's with his last one going 1 for 4 and severely overthrowing/underthrowing the ball.

I think he might just be trying to make sense of Rex, who I believe said that Tyrod and EJ are rotating with the 1s and time with Cassel to maximize learning from the vet, but also said Cassel is the favorite right now and that's why he's with the 1's every day

I was at TC tonight. Some thoughts...

EJ looked very good tonight. I'm not sure where he stands in the pecking order, but he is clearly the best "thrower" of the lot. He made several very good long throws tonight. That one that was dropped by Thigpen was a shame.

Tyrod was okay. He made some good throws and some terrible throws. Perhaps Cassell and Simms were so bad it made him look decent by contrast.

Cassell throws like a girl...I'm sorry. His deep throws are wobbly and float. No...just please no.

Simms was bad. I have nothing to say about him because he was so forgettable.

No quarterback...I repeat...no quarterback had much success against the first defense. They are just scary. In fact, during that Taylor to Watkins long TD that everyone is gushing about, Kyle Williams beat his guy immediately and would definitely have sacked him. Kyle literally stood there for 1.5 seconds before Tyrod threw the ball.

Sammy did some things out there that made my jaw drop. This is the first time I have seen him live, and I was amazed at his talent. Clearly the most talented player on the football field. He had his way with Gilmore too.

Ronald Darby was also very, very impressive. I don't think there was a single time where he was beat. I will say, however, that he might be a little too physical after 5 yards. He is going to have to clean up the bumping and hand fighting.

Where is Charles Clay? He looks good in those Bills colors out there, but I'd like to see him make some plays.

It was tough to judge the offensive line, although I will say that Wood seemed to be the weak link. A lot of pressure up the middle. Kujo got beat badly by Mario early in practice, but tightened his game up and looked good after that. I keyed in on Incognito a lot and he was just destroying people out there. He plays angry.

Percy Harvin was invisible, Woods was all over the place making catches, and Thigpen (other than the drop) seemed to have a good night.

Finally, Bryce Brown fumbled....yes. Otherwise, he ran the ball very effectively. I guess that just is who he is. Karlos Wiliams impressed me. He runs very decisively, hits the hole quick and hard, and seems very fast.

It was tough to get autographs tonight because there were so many people. Thank you to Ty Powell and Tony Steward for signing my son's football. We were behind like 3 rows of people, and both took a lot of time to sign for just about everyone.

Go Bills!!!

Thanks for the on the scene report!

I'm hoping for the same.

I also half-wonder if they'd explore replacing Wood if he struggles in the early part of the season. They've got options: Urbik can play center, Incognito has played center and could kick over there with Richardson or Urbik at guard. I'm not saying that I think it will happen, or that his struggles in TC are anything more than dealing with Dareus and Kyle. I am, however, thinking ahead to the fact that he has to face some seriously talented combinations of DLmen in the AFC East (Suh/Phillips in Miami, Wilkerson/Harrison/Richardson/Williams in NJ, Brown/Sheard in NE), plus Peko/Atkins vs Cincinnati.

While I don't think it's time to push the panic button (nor do I think anyone here is doing that)...it does bare watching.

EDIT: I also think that an argument could be made for signing Evan Mathis to give them more flexibility, but it sounds like his price tag is way beyond what we'd be willing to pay.

Edited by thebandit27

OK....THIS is why on this board we like to take stock in reports from our distinguished members.

Right now Joe B has this play down as "the play of the camp" which is helping to fuel the TT hype machine. It's good to hear the whole story.

Playing center is not like playing on an island and its very important who is playing next to them. Incognito might be the named starting LG but that doesn't mean he or the rookie at RG are playing at a starting level.

I'm not giving Wood a pass but lets not forget who was playing RG last year, and who is now playing RG. Pears at RG was an absolute disaster last year, and its difficult for the center to play up to his ability when you have such a bad player / players next to him. Then in 2013 it was Doug Legursky who we know was a bum, and is history just like Pears.

Gonna be interesting to see how the line performs in the pre season games.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blitz Blog: Day 4 Practice Report. Kromer. The Manuel Dilemma. Brown fumbles. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/03/tyler-dunnes-practice-report-day-four/

The #Bills finally invested in a tight end. Now, comes the hard part. Maximizing this Charles Clay investment: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/03/bills-clay-not-lacking-in-confidence/

#Bills Notebook: Any concerns over Sammy Watkins' hip were squashed in about 0.2 seconds... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/03/watkins-displays-his-explosiveness-in-night-session/

Clay on QB's: “Trust me, I think a lot people are putting too much into it. Come the season, we’ll be ready to go. No doubt in my mind.”

Also, running backs Marshall Faulk, Ricky Watters, Jamal Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Roger Craig break down @CutonDime25: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/07/25/cast-aside-by-eagles-bills-mccoy-has-plenty-to-prove/

@TBNSports

Who will be the #Bills’ QB? @viccarucci's Day Four report following tonight's #BillsCamp practice: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/03/who-will-be-the-bills-qb-our-day-four-report/

Edited by 26CornerBlitz