Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

Ugh.

If EJ gets traded this preseason for a low round pick, Whaley may need to be fired. I'm serious. The lack of urgency and ultimate failure regarding the QB position is unacceptable. Sam Bradford was available for trade this offseason. Josh McCown was in town and they let him leave without a contract. No QB was drafted despite several developmental prospects being available (Bryce Petty, etc.), several of whom were on the Bills' radar screen. There is no excuse for another lost season, especially given the talent that exists throughout the rest of this roster.

I know it's harsh and maybe premature but I've just about had it with Doug Whaley.

Get a grip, Coach. IMO, Whaley is the best GM since Polien. As far as the QB is concerned, in the off season he aquired three (3 ) QBs who are now fighting it out with EJ.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, My Bills fan sports freak sons were at practice both days this weekend focusing on QB and according to them both they ranged from:

Inaccurate overall, but made some nice throws deep (the highest rating) : Tyrod Taylor

to

Just plain terrible, overthrowing the majority and when not an overthrow put it into the turf: EJ Manuel

I know it's a bit amusing considering the source, but trent edwards and some other nfl'ers all mentioned tyrod when talking about the bills with me recently. First thing they all mentioned actually. Hope he beats Cassel. Preseason games will be very interesting that's for sure.

I just have this feeling Tyrod could pull away during the preseason games by being a "gamer." I recently watched the full VTech vs FSU ACC Champ game the year Tyrod went against EJ. Obviously it was a while ago, but Tyrod seems to have an ability to make things happen, both with his ridiculously quick moves running and dodging and also with his strong arm. I made note of it before, but he seems to be better than EJ at leading his receivers. I had hoped EJ had improved with this, bc whoever wins the QB competition, we want him to lead our WRs and RBs to maximize YAC.

I'm honestly just waiting for game action to even begin forming my opinion on this competition. I want to see if EJ looks consistent and authoritative, taking command. I want to see if Tyrod potentially has that X factor and is a 'winner' who just gets it done. I also want to see if Cassell consistently makes the right reads. The last thing we want is for our vet to be making poor decisions with where to go with the ball.

Let's be honest--if one of these three guys can limit mistakes and consistently feed the ball to our vast array of playmakers, we are talking playoffs, possibly winning the division. If someone surprises and really steps up, we could be talking fighting for the #1 seed. I mean, do you guys remember how hard it was to play against Rex's D's when the Jets were a playoff team? Our QBs had no time to throw and it just seemed there was nowhere to go with the ball. I always feared the Jets bc of that and their physicality. Rex has arguably his most talented D ever. We could be vicious on that side of the ball, seriously.

At least we have a guy like Roman directing the offense this year. That itself is a huge plus.

Cross posting in the trading post, can anybody get a pair of 8/8 Saturday night training camp tickets in my hands? I've been hearing the retail places you can go get them are sold out. We're making it a date night, hiring a sitter and everything, so I kind of want to know I have them in my hands.

I just have this feeling Tyrod could pull away during the preseason games by being a "gamer." I recently watched the full VTech vs FSU ACC Champ game the year Tyrod went against EJ. Obviously it was a while ago, but Tyrod seems to have an ability to make things happen, both with his ridiculously quick moves running and dodging and also with his strong arm. I made note of it before, but he seems to be better than EJ at leading his receivers. I had hoped EJ had improved with this, bc whoever wins the QB competition, we want him to lead our WRs and RBs to maximize YAC.

I'm honestly just waiting for game action to even begin forming my opinion on this competition. I want to see if EJ looks consistent and authoritative, taking command. I want to see if Tyrod potentially has that X factor and is a 'winner' who just gets it done. I also want to see if Cassell consistently makes the right reads. The last thing we want is for our vet to be making poor decisions with where to go with the ball.

Let's be honest--if one of these three guys can limit mistakes and consistently feed the ball to our vast array of playmakers, we are talking playoffs, possibly winning the division. If someone surprises and really steps up, we could be talking fighting for the #1 seed. I mean, do you guys remember how hard it was to play against Rex's D's when the Jets were a playoff team? Our QBs had no time to throw and it just seemed there was nowhere to go with the ball. I always feared the Jets bc of that and their physicality. Rex has arguably his most talented D ever. We could be vicious on that side of the ball, seriously.

At least we have a guy like Roman directing the offense this year. That itself is a huge plus.

Agree with all of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w52Gw-YUGT4

Of course this is a small part of practice but this didn't look as bad as I expected

our TE's look cumbersome, en masse.

Nothing that great about this film. Guys getting used to football again, rust, and all. You can see it. Hogan looked unfocused on a few shots. O'Leary looked slow for some reason. QB's didn't really show anything more then just playing toss.

our TE's look cumbersome, en masse.

Nothing that great about this film. Guys getting used to football again, rust, and all. You can see it. Hogan looked unfocused on a few shots. O'Leary looked slow for some reason. QB's didn't really show anything more then just playing toss.

I didn't say anything about it was great but it isn't the train wreck people are making it out to be

I didn't say anything about it was great but it isn't the train wreck people are making it out to be

kind of my point. on here it is either the most amazing thing ever... or just awful, doom, end the season now kind of reaction.

if you're not over the top Bills Kool Aid drinking you're a doomsday fan. it's funny.

kind of my point. on here it is either the most amazing thing ever... or just awful, doom, end the season now kind of reaction.

if you're not over the top Bills Kool Aid drinking you're a doomsday fan. it's funny.

Hell hath no fury like a Bills fan looking for a franchise QB.

EJ was never supposed to be some great blue chip talent that would come in and be the man at QB from day one. Around the league that QB draft class was almost universally viewed as mediocre and uninspiring.

Just go and read this list of names from EJ's QB class:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/year/2013/quarterbacks

Had the Bills not taken EJ in round one it's likely there would have been zero QBs taken in the first round that year. That tells you something, given how many get picked every year in round one.

He's basically been exactly what the scouting report said he would be. On the other hand, looking at that list there has to be ONE guy who can make it right? lol

EJ was never supposed to be some great blue chip talent that would come in and be the man at QB from day one. Around the league that QB draft class was almost universally viewed as mediocre and uninspiring.

Just go and read this list of names from EJ's QB class:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/year/2013/quarterbacks

Had the Bills not taken EJ in round one it's likely there would have been zero QBs taken in the first round that year. That tells you something, given how many get picked every year in round one.

He's basically been exactly what the scouting report said he would be. On the other hand, looking at that list there has to be ONE guy who can make it right? lol

Yeah, but unfortunately it's probably going to be Geno Smith.

Even when he sucks (like the game against us in NJ last year), he still looks like a quarterback - wings it downfield, doesn't look particularly rattled, even when he is screwing up. I think he is going to turn into the one decent QB from that year.

Just to counter, I'm not saying anything positive or negative against Astro but how do you know who is more objective. If anything I would assume someone that actively roots for the Bills would be more biased. The guys who cover the Bills for local news have always been pretty down on EJ and EJ has pretty much lived up to to their criticism thus far. If what I see on the field totally went against what those guys said I wouldn't buy the tweets and coverage but it's almost always right. I really don't understand why the hate for these guys except for the fact that you don't want to believe that what they're saying is correct.

Let's say joe B and Rodak held the opinion they seem to have that EJ isn't good but Fairburn loved what EJ was doing (purely hypothetical) would people here really only believe what Fairburn had to say? It seems that way.

Like others have said, Astro tends to go into much more detail. He talks about the practice as a whole, and usually helps talk about what happens in a session by session basis. Sometimes no one is in rthymn for a session (sending completion rates spiraling) and sometimes someone stands out from the others by a lot.

In contrast, Rodak tends to do clickbait headlines and is less internally consistent. By all reports, EJ had a decent day in the first TC practice and then Rodak goes and says that EJ's made only one good pass in three days. Joe B is a bit better since he also sums up his opinion fairly concisely at the end of each day.

Yeah, but unfortunately it's probably going to be Geno Smith.

Even when he sucks (like the game against us in NJ last year), he still looks like a quarterback - wings it downfield, doesn't look particularly rattled, even when he is screwing up. I think he is going to turn into the one decent QB from that year.

By all accounts, Smith has looked pretty decent in Jets camp. It's so disappointing to hear about EJ struggling. I really thought he was going to nail down the starting job early with a solid camp.

Every day our QBs look like crap I'm more and more convinced the Bills are burning up the lines to trade for somebody else who will be their starter.

By all accounts, Smith has looked pretty decent in Jets camp. It's so disappointing to hear about EJ struggling. I really thought he was going to nail down the starting job early with a solid camp.

Every day our QBs look like crap I'm more and more convinced the Bills are burning up the lines to trade for somebody else who will be their starter.

geno has always looked good in the preseason fwiw