What 5 QBs are top of your list to start a team today

The Russell Wilson thread and some of the debates going on there got me thinking about this. If you were to start a team today and you are able to choose any QB as they sit today (in other words, saying an older guy when he was in his prime is not an answer), who would be your pick and who would be your top 5?

1. Rodgers - For me, the best in football today and has the potential to be in the best ever conversation when he's done.

2. Wilson - The best first 3 years arguably of any QB in history and already SB Champ. Avg wins for Sea 3 years prior to him = 6.33 and the avg wins 3 years with him 12. Seattle has literally doubled their win rate with him as QB. Has post season stats and record to match.

3. Luck - Already on the path as one of the next great prolific passers. Very poor playoff performance in each of his 3 years in the league. Never had a single post season with more TDs than INTs (9TDs total to 12 Ints total).

4. Big Ben - Proven winner, proven talent at QB who comes up Big living up to his name. His age of 33 keeps him from being higher on this list.

5. Ryan - Another great regular season guy but hasn't been able to get his team over the hump in the playoffs.

Thats my list based on performance, age, upside, etc.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck

Rodgers

Wilson

Big Ben

Flacco (I don't think you can underestimate what he is able to do in the playoffs)

Big Ben is a tough one. But I guess if you figure that he has 4 and maybe more good years left you shouldn't downgrade him yet. I think he's really good though.

Ugh, I really really want to say Foles, but idk if he's top 5.

1. Rodgers (well that was easy)
  2. Luck (He has some turnover issues, but he's turned garbage into gold in Indy)
  3. Brees (He's just darn good and very consistent despite his supporting cast)
  4. Big Ben (Pretty decent all around QB)
  5. Flacco (This guy is either overrated or underrated depending on who you ask, but he's great in the playoffs, and that's a plus for me)

Luck

Rodgers

Wilson

Winston

Flacco

I'd roll the dice on Winston simply because he's young and all the other guys who are good/great QBs have too much millage on them. Flacco is a tough one as I don't think he's great but he's still young enough to build around unlike guys like Manning, Brady, and Brees.

The above list makes me realize how there's going to be a serious QB dearth in the NFL in 4-5 years if there aren't some great QB classes coming up.

Hard to argue with most of the lists. Personally, I think Newton and Wilson are very similar players. I would have Cam in my top 5. Flacco is a fringe guy.

Funny how much a year changes because Kaepernick would have been a slam dunk for this last year.

Rogers

Luck

Then distantly:

Wilson

Mathew stafford

Cam

I used to love Stafford but he really hasn't progressed. Too many bad turnovers. He is like Cutler with a better attitude. He's still really young and has a ton of tools though.

Honestly, there aren't a ton of young elite Qbs right now.

Rodgers .. too easy

Luck .. loaded with all the goodies

Big Ben... 2 rings and still some time for another?

Flacco .. Over achiever in the playoffs

Matt Ryan ...Has all the tools, never had a great team around him

I am in the camp that Wilson gets too much credit for QBing one of the best rosters in the NFL.

Edited by qwksilver

Luck

Rodgers

Wilson

Big Ben

Flacco (I don't think you can underestimate what he is able to do in the playoffs)

Big Ben is a tough one. But I guess if you figure that he has 4 and maybe more good years left you shouldn't downgrade him yet. I think he's really good though.

I actually struggled when starting this thread with Ryan and Flacco. Originally I had Ben at #5 because he's 33, but he's too good and been too good in the playoffs to put Ryan ahead of him. Then as I stared at Ryan, I struggled with keeping him there because he hasn't gotten his team anywhere in the playoffs while Flacco has been very good in the playoffs and outstanding the year he won the SB. Ultimately I stuck with Ryan because I felt like if all things were equal, he would probably have a slight edge. His defense has been atrocious in Atl, his run game too...so hard to pin it all on Ryan. Flacco has been on better teams, so I gave Ryan the nod, but to me they are pretty interchangeable at 5.

Hard to argue with most of the lists. Personally, I think Newton and Wilson are very similar players. I would have Cam in my top 5. Flacco is a fringe guy.

Funny how much a year changes because Kaepernick would have been a slam dunk for this last year.

I thought the same thing about Kap when I made this thread. I thought about Cam pretty long too, but ultimately I don't have the confidence in his mental game and ability to lead to elevate him over Ryan or even Flacco. I disagree about Wilson and Cam...Wilson has the things Cam lacks. Yes, their play style is similar by being able to damage from the pocket and on the run, but I just feel like Wilson has that it factor that Cam hasnt shown us yet.

I used to love Stafford but he really hasn't progressed. Too many bad turnovers. He is like Cutler with a better attitude. He's still really young and has a ton of tools though.

Honestly, there aren't a ton of young elite Qbs right now.

Thats a fantastic description of Stafford...spot on, nice job.

One could argue rapelesburger's better days may be behind him. Rodgers, Luck & Wilson. That's it. All the rest are basically mediocre -with No chance at the HOF.

Join with me in a moment of silence as we lament the death of the Quarterback..