Carucci: Glenn likely "odd man out" in contract extensions

Is anyone starting to have flashbacks of the previous LT situation we went through with Peters? I know I am.

No. Peters received a raise and then demanded another raise before he was finally traded.

So far Glenn has played OK.

Having Pegula and Whaley instead of anyone in the last twenty years makes an enormous difference. There is no longer any limitations on contracts other than the salary cap.

& they hopefully continue to understand what value to assign to each player/position.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Because he can. He's a big, young tackle that's always playing, rarely if ever hurt. Someone will pay him too 5 money IMO.

Well, the best I could find for him, in terms of ranking, was 12th. Why would he get more money than the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th ranked tackles? Because he played on the 30th ranked line last year?

Well, the best I could find for him, in terms of ranking, was 12th. Why would he get more money than the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th ranked tackles? Because he played on the 30th ranked line last year?

Because he's up for the next payday he likely jumps past his actual exact spot - regardless of where you rank him

All this article is saying is the team must prioritize. Nothing controversial there. I'd rank him fourth out of that group too.

No, there's nothing that should be controversial about saying a team must prioritize. But here's the rub - the Bills have already put some players ahead of some of the ones on that list. Shady and Clay are two big money acquisitions this past offseason. Will the difference between their production versus that of either a) the next player on the depth chart or b) an inexpensive replacement be bigger than the difference between Glenn or Gilmore and theirs? Or Dareus and his? That is a question I can't answer definitively right now, but I'll be watching games with that thought in mind. What worries me most are that the relative values of the positions in question. I'd much rather spend bigger on a CB, a DT and/or a LT than a RB and/or a TE.

Also this is where I think about The contracts of Eric Wood and Chris Williams. If Wood was paid more in line with his recent production and CW was never signed I'd feel a bit better about the overall situation. But here we are.

Edited by BarleyNY

Because he's up for the next payday he likely jumps past his actual exact spot - regardless of where you rank him

This concept seems to be lost on many every year. Top 5 money doesn't mean top 5 player. It means whoever is up for a new contract gets to raise the bar, even if it is disproportionate to their overall ranking.

This concept seems to be lost on many every year. Top 5 money doesn't mean top 5 player. It means whoever is up for a new contract gets to raise the bar, even if it is disproportionate to their overall ranking.

The concept is not lost on me. I just don't see Glenn getting that huge a contract. Would somebody offer him a $60+mil contract? I guess it could happen, but we sure won't. That's what it would take to crack the top five. And, there's more than a few LTs whose contracts go up in 2016, and a bunch going up this year.

No, there's nothing that should be controversial about saying a team must prioritize. But here's the rub - the Bills have already put some players ahead of some of the ones on that list. Shady and Clay are two big money acquisitions this past offseason. Will the difference between their production versus that of either a) the next player on the depth chart or b) an inexpensive replacement be bigger than the difference between Glenn or Gilmore and theirs? Or Dareus and his? That is a question I can't answer definitively right now, but I'll be watching games with that thought in mind. What worries me most are that the relative values of the positions in question. I'd much rather spend bigger on a CB, a DT and/or a LT than a RB and/or a TE.

Also this is where I think about The contracts of Eric Wood and Chris Williams. If Wood was paid more in line with his recent production and CW was never signed I'd feel a bit better about the overall situation. But here we are.

this

The concept is not lost on me. I just don't see Glenn getting that huge a contract. Would somebody offer him a $60+mil contract? I guess it could happen, but we sure won't. That's what it would take to crack the top five. And, there's more than a few LTs whose contracts go up in 2016, and a bunch going up this year.

this is why they should sign him THIS year before he shows that he is if not elite, nearly so. This year he will be healthy with a new and very real coaching staff.

sound crazy but he is a priority for me. Partially because after last year he might be a relative bargain.

lets keep in mind who he has shut down. and they left him on an island mostly last year.

pay the man.

this is why they should sign him THIS year before he shows that he is if not elite, nearly so. This year he will be healthy with a new and very real coaching staff.

sound crazy but he is a priority for me. Partially because after last year he might be a relative bargain.

lets keep in mind who he has shut down. and they left him on an island mostly last year.

pay the man.

Absolutely agree with this.

I hope they trade up if that is the case.

yep! if someone does not set the world on fire draft and trade. whatever it takes.

except tanking this year

Absolutely agree with this.

it just seems obvious to someone like me.

we shall see how Bills feel about him.

odd to consider that the Bills LT in Glenn , whom has proven his worth and been stabile could be considered for replacement or worse yet moved inside.

never complained , just went to work each day. Defended his space against some of the very best, and sure he has been beaten too. but not much over his short career

to me he is the perfect fit for us. just get him someone worth a darn next to him!

and the whole rest of the line while at it/

These things happen every year. Guys get contracts that are outrageous for their position and performance. Teams will overpay, especially for above average talent if it's at a key position like LT. Hell, most other teams probably thought we were nuts for giving Clay the contract that he got. Guys like Glenn hold all the marbles, and teams know it.

These things happen every year. Guys get contracts that are outrageous for their position and performance. Teams will overpay, especially for above average talent if it's at a key position like LT. Hell, most other teams probably thought we were nuts for giving Clay the contract that he got. Guys like Glenn hold all the marbles, and teams know it.

So I think the point on Unrestricted Free Agents needed some more umph so I did some work. Below is the list of UFA LT next year in order of cap hit this year from this site

First Last Age Team PFF rank, B/R rank

Trent Williams 26 WAS 10, 11

Anthony Castonzo 26 IND T7, 10

Nate Solder 27 NE >10, 21

Russell Okung 27 SEA 9, 18

Andrew Whitworth 33 CIN 1, 3

Donald Penn 32 OAK >10, 13

Kelvin Beachum 25 PIT 3, 8

Cordy Glenn 25 BUF >10, 15

I then added their PFF ranking (note rankings only went up to 10 but I think you get the picture).

2 top 5 LTs will be on the market next year along with 3 more in the top 10. This also includes a wide variety of ages. I don't think Glenn will command top 5 money because there are 5 UFA's that were ranked higher then him last year. Unless he has a huge break out year (which I would be down for); he will not get top 5 money for a LT.

EDIT: I double checked and these are only the Pass blocking rankings. I will try to update with overall PFF rankings (I know we take them with a grain of salt but what else does a guy have).

I have added B/R rankings because I couldn't find PFF rankings

Edited by YattaOkasan

Get Bradham and Dareus signed soon. Glenn on the other hand they might not want to commit to, see how he plays this season. Personally I would sign them all up as soon as possible but I always worry about the Bills losing talent. But if there is one of the 3 I could see them waiting on it is Glenn.

this

pay the man.

What if we sign him to a long term deal now and he has just as poor or worse year than last year? Plus, why would Glenn sign a contract now for less than what he could get next year. Many fans always look at contracts from one side, saying to sign someone early at a bargain price, the players agent is there to make sure something like this doesn't happen. If Glenn/agent feel he is a top tier tackle, no way he signs a bargain deal.

It took this team three seasons to replace Peters, and still hasn't properly replaced a supposed average OG in Andy Levitre.

The most important position on the field is the QB, and protecting him should be the very highest priority. Yet this team still doesn't understand this concept, as they keep trying to get by with scrubs, and band-aids. "If you don't have a great QB you had better have a darn good line", and this team has neither.

All this article is saying is the team must prioritize. Nothing controversial there. I'd rank him fourth out of that group too.

Me too at this moment in time.

#1 Dareus

#2 Gilmore

#3 Bradham

#4 Glenn

It is true though that we have an extra year to get Gilmore done. If they can get a deal done with Marcel before the season that would help massively because they would then have the whole season to asses where they are at and make sensible long term decisions. Get Dareus signed, then work out how if it is possible to manipulate the cap to keep Bradham and Glenn and have enough left over towards Gilmore the following year.

To have any shot of keeping all 4 I think that means:

- Fred is definitely done after this year

- Mario and Clay are willing to restructure

- Harvin is genuinely a 1 year deal

- Cassel is not on the roster next year and is replaced by a draft pick not a vet

If Harvin plays lights out and they want to keep him too then someone has to go.

Edited by GunnerBill

Glenn had an off year due to supposedly a kidney infection last year. He played outstanding the two years prior. We have to find a way to pay him decent money. The leverage is now. Pay him early as he'll admit to a bad year. He'll cost less if we do it now.

he may not want to sign now for that reason.

What if we sign him to a long term deal now and he has just as poor or worse year than last year? Plus, why would Glenn sign a contract now for less than what he could get next year. Many fans always look at contracts from one side, saying to sign someone early at a bargain price, the players agent is there to make sure something like this doesn't happen. If Glenn/agent feel he is a top tier tackle, no way he signs a bargain deal.

this is true in regard to there are two sides. i think understand that well enough : )

But i would want to get it done. there is always a risk involved. this year the Bills have some leverage. if he plays poorly then we dont want him anyway. i just dont see that as the trend.

dont forget Kujo had mentioned how much Cordy helps him so I respect that side of the man

and honestly.

Whaley can find a linebacker to replace Bradham easier then a LT IMO.

Brown being a fine example. ( i am a Nigel fan for sure ! )

Me too at this moment in time.

#1 Dareus

#2 Gilmore

#3 Bradham

#4 Glenn

It is true though that we have an extra year to get Gilmore done. If they can get a deal done with Marcel before the season that would help massively because they would then have the whole season to asses where they are at and make sensible long term decisions. Get Dareus signed, then work out how if it is possible to manipulate the cap to keep Bradham and Glenn and have enough left over towards Gilmore the following year.

To have any shot of keeping all 4 I think that means:

- Fred is definitely done after this year

- Mario and Clay are willing to restructure

- Harvin is genuinely a 1 year deal

- Cassel is not on the roster next year and is replaced by a draft pick not a vet

If Harvin plays lights out and they want to keep him too then someone has to go.

More than one has to go.

Lets deal with that next year. Dump C williams and pay Glenn or Bradham.

he may not want to sign now for that reason.

He may well not Yolo. but ya gotta try when the stock is lower.

because i think he kills it this year under Kromer and G- Ro

this is true in regard to there are two sides. i think understand that well enough : )

But i would want to get it done. there is always a risk involved. this year the Bills have some leverage. if he plays poorly then we dont want him anyway. i just dont see that as the trend.

dont forget Kujo had mentioned how much Cordy helps him so I respect that side of the man

and honestly.

Whaley can find a linebacker to replace Bradham easier then a LT IMO.

Brown being a fine example. ( i am a Nigel fan for sure ! )

More than one has to go.

Lets deal with that next year. Dump C williams and pay Glenn or Bradham.

He may well not Yolo. but ya gotta try when the stock is lower.

because i think he kills it this year under Kromer and G- Ro

it certainly possible the Bills are already talking to his agent about his extension. Vic is speculating that they won't be able to pay him in the end because his value will be so high and the cap will prevent it. I tend to agree but I agree with you that he could be primed for a big year. And I also agree with the poster who said he will worry about whether he signs after this season. I hope he earns a huge contract somewhere because that means he performed really well in 2015 and I'm going to focus on the here and now! Back to the positive thread I go! Lol