Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

CB sort of has to be spin city, considering who writes his check, but Joe B is supposed to be a professional journalist and as such, shouldn't omit information to the point where a reader says "wait a minnut, one of you two is lyin' "

That's absolutely right and a great point. Didn't Cog basically say that in his interview, that Roman (G-Ro) has a very complex offense and they're all still learning it?

I don't blame CB (or John Murphy) at all for the positive spin they put on things, as they work for the team. I do, however, read/listen to them with the required grain of salt for that reason.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking for myself, I don't care if they said EJ looked like Joe Montana in OTAs/ minicamp. It really means nothing at this point. I just care about games. To make any concrete judgments one way or another before a game is played is silly. But this is the world ESPN created. We overreact to the practices before the practices.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to see a complete performance, you'll be disappointed. But if you're into spotting trends, especially recognizing different reporting styles and biases by the beat reporters, the press coverage of offseason work is a gold mine.

There is also a degree to good and to bad. Two days ago, they were quick to point out that Tyrod Taylor was 12-14, and said he looked good. They said he threw a couple touchdowns out of seven passes in the red zone and that he looked good, or looked the best of the three. Then yesterday they could find enough superlatives for how atrocious the QB play was. Well if they were that bad yesterday, then two days ago Taylor should have been "extraordinarily good" and "absolutely fantastic" being 12-14 or two Tds out of seven red zone passes and not just "good" or the best of the lot.

Without knowing what they're trying to do, and who is making these mistakes, and without pads, and in the first stages of installing an entire new offense, it's impossible to say if they will be bad, average, or good come September. Incognito who has played with several teams said he's never seen a playbook this big. It's going to take them a while to get it down.

There is also a degree to good and to bad. Two days ago, they were quick to point out that Tyrod Taylor was 12-14, and said he looked good. They said he threw a couple touchdowns out of seven passes in the red zone and that he looked good, or looked the best of the three. Then yesterday they could find enough superlatives for how atrocious the QB play was. Well if they were that bad yesterday, then two days ago Taylor should have been "extraordinarily good" and "absolutely fantastic" being 12-14 or two Tds out of seven red zone passes and not just "good" or the best of the lot.

Without knowing what they're trying to do, and who is making these mistakes, and without pads, and in the first stages of installing an entire new offense, it's impossible to say if they will be bad, average, or good come September. Incognito who has played with several teams said he's never seen a playbook this big. It's going to take them a while to get it down.

That is a key point. These QBs don't even really know the offense yet.

the main theme from the reports yesterday is that the QBs looked fine in 7 on 7 but struggled with the Bills 1st team pass rush in 11 on 11. I guess this should be expected. They also had some drops and were working with WRs like Deonte Thompson. The OL is in the process of learning the new blocking scheme, includes 2 guys who have never played an NFL game, plus trying to block the best DL in the league without the benefit of pads. None of the reports really surprise me. You just want to see progress once they get to camp.

If you were the coach would you think it would be more productive for the offense that's learning a new system to practice against our 1st team D or 2nd/3rd team?

Edit: Or maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of properly learning the new system...

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Speaking for myself, I don't care if they said EJ looked like Joe Montana in OTAs/ minicamp. It really means nothing at this point. I just care about games. To make any concrete judgments one way or another before a game is played is silly. But this is the world ESPN created. We overreact to the practices before the practices.

CB, I used to think like that, but I always go back to similar reports about how awful Aaron Maybin looked in shorts at OTAs. Everyone wrote those comments off, but they proved to be a strong predictor of future performance.

If you were the coach would you think it would be more productive for the offense that's learning a new system to practice against our 1st team D or 2nd/3rd team?

Both. And they did some 2nd team DL as Stefan Charles was in there a bunch, and they have 2nd-3rd-4th team secondary.

CB, I used to think like that, but I always go back to similar reports about how awful Aaron Maybin looked in shorts at OTAs. Everyone wrote those comments off, but they proved to be a strong predictor of future performance.

As were EJ's performances last year.

I think we all like the internet as far as being able to get info faster and talk to people all around the country and world. Things like twobillsdrive and Bills message boards are awesome. But is anyone else starting to really hate blogs/social media?

Apart from being absolutely inundated with information these days, the internet allows for EVERYONE to have a platform to speak their mind. This seems good in theory, but to me, it's just a reminder of how dumb most people are. What I hate the most is how little credentials you now need to be a sports 'journalist.' Pre-internet, but especially pre-social media, you actually had to earn your stripes and produce good content in order to get your voice heard. Now, all you need is a cell phone and/or computer and an internet connection.

I think the fact that everyone has a platform now means we are getting less high quality content, and this is very evident in the world of sports reporting. There's also the 'shock' factor that these people go for. Because there is so much more content coming out constantly, one needs to make stories out of nothing. I think the tweeting and blogging regarding the OTAs is a great example of this.

I get your point and generally agree, but will point out that John Kryk, the author of the blog being discussed in the last few posts, is a legitimate journalist, and does know what he is talking about. He did a great job during the Bills sale process, in particular with exposing the warts in the Bon Jovi led Toronto efforts.

And there were just as many that said how fantastic Seantrel Henderson looked, and then he got killed in the regular season. Again, without pads on, without knowing the schemes, without developing chemistry, and without game planning, it's just impossible to know.

As were EJ's performances last year.

And yet he came out and played quite decent his first two games. Then started to regress.

Did he regress, or DCs got two games' of film?

How does usually hitting guys that were somewhat open to often missing guys who were somewhat open come down to game film? The offensive coaching last year was terrible. I'm not sure where it started but the first couple games they were doing things you somewhat expected them to do. Then they started doing the opposite, liking having Ej throw 35 passes. Soon thereafter, Orton came in and they reverted a couple games to doing what he does best, letting him be a leader/gunslinger. That worked a couple games and then they started doing the opposite, and neutered him. Pretty soon it became the Lee Smith offense.

God I'm glad Marrone is gone.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

EJ Manuel looking very sharp w his throws, albeit vs 2nd team D, in #Bills final minicamp of offseason. Matt Cassel? Not so much.

So basically Manuel looks good today against 2nd team defense, maybe the Bills starting defense is a terror, it'll be good to practice against them.

Charles Robinson mentioned on the JMS last night that practicing all the time against our #1 DL can backfire somewhat if the QB isn't a solid starter, because it is hard to ever establish a good rhythm/confidence.

Big play TD EJ to Goodwin streaking down right sideline. Ron Brooks beaten.

Mark Ludwiczak ‏@MarkLud12 45s45 seconds ago

Marquise Goodwin making up for his drop yesterday. Sprints down right sideline and reaches to reel in the ball for a long TD in team work.

For all of the EJ being inaccurate talk (which was noticeable with intermediate passes), I've always thought he is pretty darn good at putting the ball on the money with the long ball. I always think of that deep ball to Sammy against the Dolphins week 2 last season that hit Sammy right in the hands but he was covered pretty well and wasn't able to hang on to it...

For all of the EJ being inaccurate talk (which was noticeable with intermediate passes), I've always thought he is pretty darn good at putting the ball on the money with the long ball. I always think of that deep ball to Sammy against the Dolphins week 2 last season that hit Sammy right in the hands but he was covered pretty well and wasn't able to hang on to it...

It was a great play by Grimes, who is a pretty great player

EJ Manuel looking very sharp w his throws, albeit vs 2nd team D, in #Bills final minicamp of offseason. Matt Cassel? Not so much.

So basically Manuel looks good today against 2nd team defense, maybe the Bills starting defense is a terror, it'll be good to practice against them.

Should we be glad about EJ, or worried about the lack of depth on the 2nd team defense? :D

Regarding Kryk's comments

- It does not bother me that QBs make bad decisions with the ball right now....this is the time for that.......what would bother me is contuous overthrows, underthrows, or late throws

- Im trying to find out the bad in the Tyrod Taylor comments.......bagging on him because of his height? He isnt going to have a growth spurt between now and the start fo the season we all KNEW that he was a short QB.....the question is......can he play? Is he the most accurate........does he have pocket awareness........can he throw the deep ball? stuff like that.

Charles Robinson mentioned on the JMS last night that practicing all the time against our #1 DL can backfire somewhat if the QB isn't a solid starter, because it is hard to ever establish a good rhythm/confidence.

That was my point earlier. It's hard to get a sense when we're just reading tweets but I would imagine that the 1st team D could be a little too disruptive for young QBs learning the new system. probably pros and cons to both scenarios.

- It does not bother me that QBs make bad decisions with the ball right now....this is the time for that.......what would bother me is contuous overthrows, underthrows, or late throws

- Im trying to find out the bad in the Tyrod Taylor comments.......bagging on him because of his height? He isnt going to have a growth spurt between now and the start fo the season we all KNEW that he was a short QB.....the question is......can he play? Is he the most accurate........does he have pocket awareness........can he throw the deep ball? stuff like that.

Exactly. the height thing is irrelevant considering what Russell Wilson has done. It now comes down to the things you mention and if he can convert 3rd downs, make the big play, not turn the ball over.

Yep, This.

Drew Brees and Russ Wilson are looking at you, Kryk: "That's what you got on him? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?"

Exactly. the height thing is irrelevant considering what Russell Wilson has done. It now comes down to the things you mention and if he can convert 3rd downs, make the big play, not turn the ball over.

The height thing is not at all irrelevant considering what Wilson has done for several different reasons. Wilson is a freak of nature that will not be equalled for a generation or two. He's insanely good at seeing and finding lanes, he throws over his head in great form which adds an inch or two (Taylor has a very strong arm for a little guy but still needs to wind up a little on the deep ball), etc. 99 out of 100 small guys would still have the same problems playing QB in the NFL that they did before or after Wilson and Wilson is the 1 out of 100.

@SalSports

EJ was good in 2 minute offense. Looked confident. Made a couple big throws down field with some other short stuff.

@MatthewFairburn

EJ Manuel is feeling it today. Just went 5-6 with a touchdown during a 65-yard drive running the no huddle.

@SalSports

Mario Butler 2nd pick in two days. This time against Tyrod Taylor on deep ball down sideline. Good coverage on Goodwin who's being tended to

@MatthewFairburn

Just heard an audible "Duuuval" from the Bills' sideline as Mario Butler intercepted Tyrod Taylor. Second int of minicamp for Jax native.