QB Competition Not Yielding Promising Results Yet

They are working all FOUR (4) QBs out in O.P. and the early word on the street seems to be none of them are worth a damned.

Comments? Questions? Concerns?

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-Safe-to-say-there-s-no-LeBron-at-QB/21621739

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-leaves-door-open-for-QB-race-to-go-til-week-o/21622571

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are working all FOUR (4) QBs out in O.P. and the early word on the street seems to be none of them are worth a damned.

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-leaves-door-open-for-QB-race-to-go-til-week-o/21622571

Hush......I don't want to deal with that reality until October.

Is any of this a surprise? The Bills haven't had a QB for a while now. But as to the first post, the Bills don't need a LeBron at QB and the entire known universe knows the Bills don't have a LeBron at QB. They just need a competent QB. Personally I doubt they even have that right now, but far too early to know that for sure.

OK so let me get this straight......

- We dont have a "Lebron" at QB? OK fine

- Since we are using NBA references....and pointing them back to the NFL....how many NBA TEAMS have a Lebron type player? Answer.....a handful

- Now lets switch back to the NFL where this is the only place that its really relevent.......isnt this like saying The bills dont have a Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, etc etc

- Now....let me ask..DID WE NOT ALREADY KNOW THIS

- There are 32 teams in the NFL.....around 5-6 teams have legit franchise QBs.....

HOW HAS THIS CHANGED.....the answer is...IT HAS NOT

The thing in all of this is the media has watched 3 of 8 practices. I'm not saying the others are any different, but what if they were?

Let's look at that. Assuming there is a QB who was good in the other 5 practices and assuming it was the same QB. That means for every 8 games the QB will screw the pooch on 3 of them. That means during the season our Qb will be bad for 6 out of 16 games with those stats. We are not making the playoffs if our QB is bad 6 out of 16 games. Again, that's assuming we did in fact have someone step up and do well in those other practices and that it was the same someone.

probably surprises no one. Wonder what will be available in the 16-20 first round pick range?

It's fair to suggest that we all already knew we didn't have a "LeBron" at QB. No one suggested we did.

We also know this team is being built around the weakness at QB, pumping strength into every other position on both sides of the ball.

And further, we all know it is still VERY EARLY.

But damn't! It would be nice if one of these guys was showing early signs of promise, even if he is currently undergoing some growing pains.

If we are going to make the playoffs this year, we are going to need QB play that is a letter grade better than what we got last year from Orton.

It concerns me that the EARLY signs are this isn't happening. Let's hope it turns around in the weeks ahead.

probably surprises no one. Wonder what will be available in the 16-20 first round pick range?

If ever there was a draft to package and move up from the 20th pick into the top 10 and take a stab at a QB......this would be the draft.

This team is loaded with so much talent now they literally coud take that shot.

If you watch that interview with Rex where he makes that LeBron comment, he is being a bit coy, and evasive. I certainly wouldn't have interpreted his comments as, "they are not worth a damned," any more than I would interpret it as the rest of the NBA not being worth a damn. Clearly, we do not have a top-rated QB. That is the only way I would have interpreted his, or the media's comments.

If ever there was a draft to package and move up from the 20th pick into the top 10 and take a stab at a QB......this would be the draft.

This team is loaded with so much talent now they literally coud take that shot.

And then that QB would need 2 years to develop, which means our team would be old and broken up already.

We're doomed.

If you watch that interview with Rex where he makes that LeBron comment, he is being a bit coy, and evasive. I certainly wouldn't have interpreted his comments as, "they are not worth a damned," any more than I would interpret it as the rest of the NBA not being worth a damn. Clearly, we do not have a top-rated QB. That is the only way I would have interpreted his, or the media's comments.

Fair observation. I don't doubt for a second that Rex may have some motivational aspirations in his comments. You know. He's maybe trying to light a fire under these guys asses. I'm all for that.

Edited by Fadingpain

Maybe you should visit the OTA threads where this has been beaten to death over the last three weeks?

The linked articles which form the foundation of this thread were created within the last 24 hours and were seemingly not being discussed elsewhere on this forum. This discussion is also much more specific than a general OTA thread.

Have a nice day, GG.

Let's look at that. Assuming there is a QB who was good in the other 5 practices and assuming it was the same QB. That means for every 8 games the QB will screw the pooch on 3 of them. That means during the season our Qb will be bad for 6 out of 16 games with those stats. We are not making the playoffs if our QB is bad 6 out of 16 games. Again, that's assuming we did in fact have someone step up and do well in those other practices and that it was the same someone.

Not making the playoffs at 10-6?

Are there genuine collegiate QB talents that can be had in the next draft if we did take that top 10 shot?

Or are we just speaking philosophically here?

IMO, yes. We hear every year that "next year will be great!"

I've never been like that, but I actually believe it this year. In Cook, Hackenburg, Kiel and Goff, I see real potential. Of course, we still have to see how they develop this year, but if we were drafting right now: Cook and Hackenburg in top 10. Kiel or Goff at the end of round 1.

Not making the playoffs at 10-6?

That is only if they win the games the QB plays well. What if the D chokes that day, or RB is bad. We can lose for more than a QB having a bad day. If we on;y get 10 good or average games, we'll be 8-8 at best. On top of that the AFC is better than NFC so 10-6 probably won't make playoffs.

IMO, yes. We hear every year that "next year will be great!"

I've never been like that, but I actually believe it this year. In Cook, Hackenburg, Kiel and Goff, I see real potential. Of course, we still have to see how they develop this year, but if we were drafting right now: Cook and Hackenburg in top 10. Kiel or Goff at the end of round 1.

Well this is cause for optimism. We are always going to have problems until we can find a good to very good to great QB.

I'd say what Kyle "let me turtle shell to save my body for retirement" Orton gave us last year was below average.

That isn't enough.

Anyone know how Alex Smith did in his first OTAs under Roman? Seriously, who cares? This constant media coverage is tiresome.

We went 9-7 with EJ and Orton last year. I feel we have better coaches and a better team. Folks need to find other hobbies besides OTA scouting reports.

:lol:

Had to google that.

I just want Orton plus 15%.

So when Rex tells me they all look like crap, I get concerned.

Well given how Rex has judged QBs in the past, maybe it is a good thing. Rex could just be the worst evaluator of QBs in the NFL. :)

What? There was one team in the league last year that didn't make the playoffs at 10-6, and that was NFC. People are so negative sometimes. At 10-6 we likely would have made it.

It's not about being negative; it's about being realistic and wanting to GUARANTEE that we make the playoffs.

I wouldn't wish for a 10-6 record this year. 11-5 (or better obviously) would make me happy.

Well given how Rex has judged QBs in the past, maybe it is a good thing. Rex could just be the worst evaluator of QBs in the NFL. :)

Are you suggesting Rex's bubble of popularity in WNY is starting to pop?

That is only if they win the games the QB plays well. What if the D chokes that day, or RB is bad. We can lose for more than a QB having a bad day. If we on;y get 10 good or average games, we'll be 8-8 at best. On top of that the AFC is better than NFC so 10-6 probably won't make playoffs.

So we can only win games if the QB plays well. We have never won games when Orton sucked last year? Sure there will be games that are given away (KC), but it balances out by our defense winning games (GB) under poor QB play.

Or maybe David Lee...

I bet Rex just evaluates their moxy and listens to someone else for all of the technical stuff.

Or maybe David Lee...

I bet Rex just evaluates their moxy and listens to someone else for all of the technical stuff.

I mean Rex loved Sanchez and he was much worse than either Cassel or Manuel his first couple years.

I think the LeBron comment was dumb and served no point. Hopefully, it was just a motivation tool.

So we can only win games if the QB plays well. We have never won games when Orton sucked last year? Sure there will be games that are given away (KC), but it balances out by our defense winning games (GB) under poor QB play.

So we should bring Orton back?

I mean Rex loved Sanchez and he was much worse than either Cassel or Manuel his first couple years.

I think the LeBron comment was dumb and served no point. Hopefully, it was just a motivation tool.

Don't disagree and knowing Rex insofar as I have gotten to know him thus far, I think this is highly likely.

Sanchez was never as bad as EJ.

This isn't a surprise or worth getting too worked up over. Honestly, this is what we should be expecting to hear. Anything else would be lagniappe (it's a New Orleans word that means a little something extra). The QB play isn't going to great and we shouldn't be expecting it to be. This team is loaded though and pretty good QB play will translate to lots of wins. Hopefully we can get competent play this year, make the playoffs, upgrade next year and compete for a title.