Women's World Cup

Having watched it a couple of times, I really can't fault that poor English gal...if she doesn't get a foot on that ball it's right to the Japanese striker at point blank range. There was another defender coming over but you have to make the attempt to clear. She made the "right" play but her tip was merely an inch too low.

I agree. I feel for her. It will probably haunt her the rest of her life.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having watched it a couple of times, I really can't fault that poor English gal...if she doesn't get a foot on that ball it's right to the Japanese striker at point blank range. There was another defender coming over but you have to make the attempt to clear. She made the "right" play but her tip was merely an inch too low.

I thought the same thing. A couple inches higher, and it's brilliant defense.

I've only seen a clip on my phone. When the ball bounced back out, and the announcers weren't even sure it was a goal, was it the girl from England who kicked it back in just to be sure there was an own goal?!? I couldn't tell which one kicked it.

No, Ogimi #17 for Japan bulged the twine, just to make sure.

maybe I should have worded that better.

Why was Abby subbed in when they should have had better / faster talent on the bench to go in??

Both my wife and I think she was slow and lumbering.

I think because Abby is still an emotional leader of the team and still has some ability to use her height/size and make a difference on set plays like corner kicks. But she will not ball handle up the field, quickly passes every time and seldom goes after the ball unless it's within 20 feet.

Japan's coach was right, the goal was the result of Japan forcing the play. Can't blame the England girl for being forced to try to make a play.

I still can't tell!

No, Ogimi #17 for Japan bulged the twine, just to make sure.

OK. Thanks!

I think because Abby is still an emotional leader of the team and still has some ability to use her height/size and make a difference on set plays like corner kicks. But she will not ball handle up the field, quickly passes every time and seldom goes after the ball unless it's within 20 feet.

How old is over the hill in this sport?

watching it live and you had to feel for her. she was defending her net and got the crap end of a bad bounce.

I don't know but for Abby it's 35.

I can fully agree there. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a rabid fan of the beautiful game, but I do have an appreciation for it. I played youth soccer from 5-16 just for fun, as it was something active to do, but didn't have a huge passion for it.

I always watch World Cup and Olympic soccer, but rarely in between. That being said, the Abby Wambach trotting out for the 2015 World Cup is a sad, far cry from the player in the Athens games in 2012 or the 2011 World Cup. But you can tell she's still a "glue" member of the team.

They added 1 minute of stoppage time. I know they burned at least 5 minutes after goals.

I'm sorry. Every other sport I follow counts time in the tenth of seconds. Referees review video to make sure the exact time is kept. The arbitrary way soccer is timed drives me up a wall.

Oh, and go USA!

Does she get pissed off at the national team players, who seem to not care about the league.

They get all this publicity now, and then they don't capitalize on it. Last time, Hope Solo said she was injured. But, she could do Dancing with the Stars. Abby didn't play when the MagicJack played right in Rochester. But, at least she showed up for autographs.

I think the '99 team care about a pro league, but none of the current stars seem to.

no comment