Women's World Cup

Well, we were happy that Japan escaped with a 2-1 win over a bigger, faster Cameroon squad yesterday. I say "escaped" because it easily could have been 4-2 the other way. Oh well, the victory puts them through to the next round, so all is good. Except I'm bummed Kozue Ando is done for this WC with a broken leg. She's my favorite player on Nadeshiko Japan. :-(

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the group D standings I can't see a scenario where the USA doesn't make the knockout round. Nigeria might have to beat them by 5 goals Tuesday and even then they might still make it.

Sweden, on the other hand, is in big trouble. If they don't beat Australia they will likely be one of the two 3rd place teams who don't advance -- a pretty huge upset for the 5th ranked squad.

Edited by eball

Hopefully they start to figure out their offensive identity. Way too much talent to struggle as much as they have.

To be fair, their first two matches were against #10 and #5 in the world, respectively. Nigeria is #33.

Simple. Just play the sexiest lineup. The rest will take care of itself

:lol: I'm intrigued.

To be fair, their first two matches were against #10 and #5 in the world, respectively. Nigeria is #33.

That's a fair point, but it just seems like they haven't gelled yet. You could be right. A nice 5-0 beatdown of Nigeria tonight would alleviate some of my concerns. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

:lol: I'm intrigued.

That's a fair point, but it just seems like they haven't gelled yet. You could be right. A nice 5-0 beatdown of Nigeria tonight would alleviate some of my concerns.

What does a 1-0 win do? Unfortunately I missed the game. Was it a troubling 1-0? Edited by PromoTheRobot

What does a 1-0 win do? Unfortunately I missed the game. Was it a troubling 1-0?

They were pretty solid. One questionable goal disallowed. They actually liked comfortable together, but it was against an lesser team. Either way...USA! USA! USA!

What does a 1-0 win do? Unfortunately I missed the game. Was it a troubling 1-0?

Not troubling. USA in control of lesser opponent the entire game. Passing and possession was better but last 30 minutes, they played up a player and looked bad. They also subbed Morgan, Heath, and Rapinoe out during that stretch and they'd all played well.

Not a statement game they probably hoped for but definitely better. The defense continues to own opposition. If they win the WC, it will be because of the back line.

They won their group and will play a 3rd place finisher TBD on the 22nd. If they win (as they should) they'll face winner of China/Cameroon.

Potential matchup against Germany in the semifinals on their side of the bracket.

They won their group and will play a 3rd place finisher TBD on the 22nd. If they win (as they should) they'll face winner of China/Cameroon.

Potential matchup against Germany in the semifinals on their side of the bracket.

It all gets real in the semis no matter what side of the bracket they are on. They should stomp China if they play them. I've seen them play China and China has no answer to the US attack. The US pins them down inside the 18 and just launches shot after shot until one goes in.

Is the US now smart for keeping Abby on the team?

I didn't see the Nigeria game, but in the previous two Abby mostly stood around waiting for someone to set the ball up for her and then her timing was slow because of all the ball watching. I saw the highlight of her goal and it was off a corner kick poorly defended with Lloyd (#10?) right there if Abby hadn't cut her off.

If Abby starts playing better hustling team ball I'll freely admit the US was smart but I'm not there yet. We'll see what next game brings.

Rapinoe is not a center mid any more than Hope Solo is a left back. That's crazytalk.

Agree with the rest. The problem with Wambach being on the team is exactly the problem with the Women's team. They are navigting the line of letting the inmates (players) run the asylum. They need a coach to come in and lay waste to the concept of "star players."Klinsman has done this on the men's side, most notably benching Donavan. So far, Jill Ellis has not impressed. She has the best group of individual players in the world but I haven't seen her use them well in the last year.

I'd be interested to hear why you think this is such crazy talk. Granted, I don't follow the USWNT and Rapinoe but what I've seen from her at the outside midfield is she maintains good field and tactical position, isn't afraid to beat somebody, possesses the ball well, is a decent passer and defends well, including a hustling effort. She also seems to have good tactical intelligence. She's a real presence in there. The biggest unknown from me is if she plays well with her left foot because she certainly favors her right when she's on the left side of the line, but that may be due to how she chooses to play in that position.

If it's been tried and she failed miserably, that's fine but given the lack of inside midfield presence for this team I'd be interested in trying her there.

Check out the video clip of Nigeria's best goal attempt in the first half. Isn't that Rapinoe at good defensive depth but at her outside position and thus not able to make a play on the passer?

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/6/17/8796413/usa-nigeria-2015-womens-world-cup-jill-ellis-team-selection-tactics

I didn't see the Nigeria game, but in the previous two Abby mostly stood around waiting for someone to set the ball up for her and then her timing was slow because of all the ball watching. I saw the highlight of her goal and it was off a corner kick poorly defended with Lloyd (#10?) right there if Abby hadn't cut her off.

If Abby starts playing better hustling team ball I'll freely admit the US was smart but I'm not there yet. We'll see what next game brings.

Is she just too old now or has she always been lazy?

Is she just too old now or has she always been lazy?

Well, I can't imagine she's always been lazy with her past success of goal scoring and contributing to the team. :-) As I said, I really haven't followed these players much and am relying on what I see during these tournament games. What I see is a player unwilling to seek out or create opportunities, rather wait for one to be presented to her. She stands out like a sore thumb to me. I hope she turns it on soon.