Women's World Cup

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry. Every other sport I follow counts time in the tenth of seconds. Referees review video to make sure the exact time is kept

You say that as though refs stopping the game to consider tenths of a second is a good thing.

Good game -- always something to be said for a corenation via blowout.

You say that as though refs stopping the game to consider tenths of a second is a good thing.

Just saying that Americans live and play by the clock. The notion of a world championship being played as long as sometime with a whistle decides is strange.

3-4 minutes stoppage time is generally accurate.

3-4 minutes stoppage time is generally accurate.

No it isn't. It's not even close. There was 5 minutes lost after goals were scored alone. Probably another 3-4 minutes burned off on set pieces. That was just the first half. Stoppage time? 1 minute.

How about playing 35 minute halves with the clock stopping after goals, during injuries and fouls and corner kicks?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

no comment

I hear ya!

No it isn't. It's not even close. There was 5 minutes lost after goals were scored alone. Probably another 3-4 minutes burned off on set pieces. That was just the first half. Stoppage time? 1 minute.

How about playing 35 minute halves with the clock stopping after goals, during injuries and fouls and corner kicks?

You're right. I actually went back using the DVR during the semis, because from the time Alex Morgan got fouled in the box, and then Carli Lloyd took the PK, and then they celebrated, it was well over 2 minutes. I know I combined the two goals and it was over four minutes, and then they put 3 minutes on as stoppage time. So, they were wrong on the time just on the goals, like you said. I hadn't even included any time for injuries, etc.

So, I can't imagine the discrepancy tonight. I didn't see the game.

Stop trying to rape the game and turn it into an interminable time-obsessed affair. Stopping the clock means throwing in commercials and TV time outs. One of the very best things about soccer is that 45 minute halves are pretty much 45 minute halves and completed in pretty much 45 minutes. It is beyond enjoyable to be able to witness an athletic spectacle like this world cup and not have it constantly interrupted

Great game yesterday. Credit to Ellis for finally getting things settled and right these last 2 games. Congrats USA ladies!

Stop trying to rape the game and turn it into an interminable time-obsessed affair. Stopping the clock means throwing in commercials and TV time outs. One of the very best things about soccer is that 45 minute halves are pretty much 45 minute halves and completed in pretty much 45 minutes. It is beyond enjoyable to be able to witness an athletic spectacle like this world cup and not have it constantly interrupted

Great game yesterday. Credit to Ellis for finally getting things settled and right these last 2 games. Congrats USA ladies!

Being a little overly dramatic, aren't we?

I'm just pointing out the discrepancies. In a game that is life and death to so much of the world, and is usually determined by a single goal, you would think precision in timing would matter more.

I'm just pointing out the discrepancies. In a game that is life and death to so much of the world, and is usually determined by a single goal, you would think precision in timing would matter more.

Most of the world isn't American, and can live with imprecision and ambiguity.

That first half was stunning. The US definitely saved their best for last.

Agreed

At least the self goal was not damaging to the US.

Glad they girls didn't ball hog to kill too much time like Japan did. That is what makes soccer so boring.

all too often teams are happy with a nil nil game.

half court GOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL un frieking believable!!!

um? baseball?

Umm, like no? Are you seriously comparing baseball, a game played without a clock, to soccer which is?

But after thinking about it, there is one comparison you can make: when an umpire calls a game due to rain. But when that happens, if the game is important, it's resumed the following day.

Am I? As much as a they-should-micro-manage-every-last-second guy like yourself? You do realize soccer players get no real rest except the delays in kicking the ball and after scoring a goal? I guess the ref could have stopped the clock after the 4th US goal and Japan had their group meeting to try and rally each other too. I coached against a guy that once his inexperienced team was losing would come on the field after they got scored on and do 1-3 minutes of coaching before their ensuing kickoff. Great coach, would never do it if they weren't losing.

When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's the refs never declared how much injury time was being added on. You just went until the whistle while the announcers tried to guess what the extra time would be. I miss it, because it definitely added to the drama of the game.

And the game is not about a goal. It is about possessing the ball, then utilizing individual and team creativity/skill to create and take advantage of opportunities to score.