EJ Manuel's film session games 1-4

Well, Marrone is gone now, which is a good thing, however you can blame bad passing ALL on the O line and OC.

EJ is now a 58% completion QB with 16 TDs and 12 INTs. That's pretty bad.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

He's just inaccurate and throws poorly, which was one the analysis of him coming out of college as I recall.

That's not pretty bad, it's decent.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Marrone is gone now, which is a good thing, however you can blame bad passing ALL on the O line and OC.

EJ is now a 58% completion QB with 16 TDs and 12 INTs. That's pretty bad.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

He's just inaccurate and throws poorly, which was one the analysis of him coming out of college as I recall.

Eli Manning 14 games into his career:

50% Comps

16 TDs

14 INTs

12 point lower QB rating than Manuel

0 vs 3 rushing TDs compared to Manuel

Did the Giants cut or trade Manning? Did they even consider those options for a nanosecond? Did they throw stuff out there to reporters to let it get out to the public that he's on the outs?

One thing the Giants do much better than the Bills and that's trusting and not wavering on their big decisions like QB. The Bills have looked very bush league with the leaks and whispers about Manuel being on the outs. If it's true, then the Bills deserve whatever punishment Manuel dishes out to them in his future career playing on another team. If it's not true then the Bills are acting a little classless playing mind games in hopes it fires up their QB. Doug Whaley in particular has looked very weak in all of this. If I were him I'd start firing the people who are leaking the info and if it's Rex or Roman tell them that they have been officially warned to either cut the crap or take a hike. There will be big names wanting this job, they don't have to beg for great coaches to come here anymore.

I think that for the longest time the Bills have been run like a small minded organization which always seems to defer to "safe mode" because they live in constant fear of being embarrassed. Wouldn't it be ironic if they let EJ go and he crushes it with Chip Kelly and the fearless Eagles while the ultra-cautious Bills are starting Matt Cassel and his bottom of the barrel starting QB stat lines and wondering "what if" they kept EJ Manuel on the team and trusted him enough to let him play his game.

Edited by 1billsfan

Seriously. How can 58%, 16 TD and 12 INT as part of a Marrone/Hackett offense, in a QB's first 14 career games, be "pretty bad?"

I'm starting to think we're not going to figure this out based solely on the past, and that it might require - gulp - waiting and seeing... just a wild hunch, I know.

Stop being silly.

Eli Manning 14 games into his career:

50% Comps

16 TDs

14 INTs

12 point lower QB rating than Manuel

0 vs 3 rushing TDs compared to Manuel

Did the Giants cut or trade Manning? Did they even consider those options for a nanosecond? Did they throw stuff out there to reporters to let it get out to the public that he's on the outs?

One thing the Giants do much better than the Bills and that's trusting and not wavering on their big decisions like QB. The Bills have looked very bush league with the leaks and whispers about Manuel being on the outs. If it's true, then the Bills deserve whatever punishment Manuel dishes out to them in his future career playing on another team. If it's not true then the Bills are acting a little classless playing mind games in hopes it fires up their QB. Doug Whaley in particular has looked very weak in all of this. If I were him I'd start firing the people who are leaking the info and if it's Rex or Roman tell them that they have been officially warned to either cut the crap or take a hike. There will be big names wanting this job, they don't have to beg for great coaches to come here anymore.

I think that for the longest time the Bills have been run like a small minded organization which always seems to defer to "safe mode" because they live in constant fear of being embarrassed. Wouldn't it be ironic if they let EJ go and crushes it with Chip Kelly and the fearless Eagles while the ultra-cautious Bills are starting Matt Cassel and his bottom of the barrel starting QB stat lines and wondering "what if" they kept EJ Manuel on the team and trusted him enough to let him play his game.

The Dolphins have done a much better job of showing patience with Tannehill who has certainly had his share of struggles.

Can anyone point out a game in which EJ played well or did something that looked remotely like playing QB? Who cares who really wanted EJ. Marrone's only good move as a coach was benching him. And before anyone tries to claim the Carolina comeback had anything to do with EJ go look at the film. Penalty aided and FJ smart drop of a bad pass by EJ kept drive alive. I pray there is a team who wants to give us a draft pick for this monumental bust of a player. Loser at FSU and a loser now. Zebras don't change their stripes and neither will EJ. He will always be mediocre.

Can anyone point out a game in which EJ played well or did something that looked remotely like playing QB? Who cares who really wanted EJ. Marrone's only good move as a coach was benching him. And before anyone tries to claim the Carolina comeback had anything to do with EJ go look at the film. Penalty aided and FJ smart drop of a bad pass by EJ kept drive alive. I pray there is a team who wants to give us a draft pick for this monumental bust of a player. Loser at FSU and a loser now. Zebras don't change their stripes and neither will EJ. He will always be mediocre.

You should post your nonsense in more threads. You're a hero.

Bingo.

This kid has been part of a painfully predictable offense for all of his young career. If every fan at home can predict what the Bills were going to do on every down, just think about how easy it was for professional defensive coaches to effectively defend against it.

Absolutely.. I found myself lambasting the tv on almost every drive for the last two years.. This cannot be understated.

But even disregarding the inept playcalling, the right side of the o line looked like a pair of swinging saloon doors in the wild west. I don't know how much you can expect from any offense with such terrible blocking

I'm starting to think we're not going to figure this out based solely on the past, and that it might require - gulp - waiting and seeing... just a wild hunch, I know.

Just stop with that rational thought!

All depends upon one's perspective, I guess.

- for 2014, his overall completion % of 58.6 would tuck him in at #29 in the league, just behind Nick Foles, Geno Smith and Blake Bortles and ahead of Cam Newton and Derek Carr.

(hmmm, notice anything?)

-if you look at the 1st 3 years many of the QB in the 2014 top 20, many of them did not play their first 1-3 years and even when they had better initial completion percentage, some of them regressed in later years. This includes QB who are widely recognized today as top of their craft, including Rodgers (DNP 3 years), Brees (DNP, 60.8, 57.6), Rivers (DNP, DNP, 61.7), Matt Ryan (61.1, 58.3, 62.5), and some who seem solid today like Alex Smith.

Which is why to many of us having the meat cleaver out for EJ after 14 games seems premature.

So EJ Manuel's head coach was so bad he only had one good move, and that move was to bench EJ Manuel? Seems logical.

BTW, in his rookie season EJ Manuel had the Atlanta Falcons on the ropes twice before Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler fumbled the game and the season's hopes away. Manuel looked like a real NFL franchise QB in the fourth quarter and OT of that game.

All depends upon one's perspective, I guess.

- for 2014, his overall completion % of 58.6 would tuck him in at #29 in the league, just behind Nick Foles, Geno Smith and Blake Bortles and ahead of Cam Newton and Derek Carr.

(hmmm, notice anything?)

-if you look at the 1st 3 years many of the QB in the 2014 top 20, many of them did not play their first 1-3 years and even when they had better initial completion percentage, some of them regressed in later years. This includes QB who are widely recognized today as top of their craft, including Rodgers (DNP 3 years), Brees (DNP, 60.8, 57.6), Rivers (DNP, DNP, 61.7), Matt Ryan (61.1, 58.3, 62.5), and some who seem solid today like Alex Smith.

Which is why to many of us having the meat cleaver out for EJ after 14 games seems premature.

You're singling out the completion %, while I'm also including his TD/Int ratio. Over all it's decent, IMO.

So EJ Manuel's head coach was so bad he only had one good move, and that move was to bench EJ Manuel? Seems logical.

BTW, in his rookie season EJ Manuel had the Atlanta Falcons on the ropes twice before Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler fumbled the game and the season's hopes away. Manuel looked like a real NFL franchise QB in the fourth quarter and OT of that game.

I'll give you that. Thanks

I'll give you that. Thanks

for the the reminder.

This is great analysis!! This shows just how bad the offensive line was, especially Pears!! The Texans game really accentuated their ineptitude. I'm so glad Marrone sat EJ because the poor guy would have been killed. I'm sure Rex, Whaley and Roman saw the same thing in film study and still have high hopes for EJ Manuel. Don't think it's so much biased, just that some can't handle the truth.

This is kinda where i sit.

That O line really was not consistent enough to trust and the play calling never loosened the Defenses up.

Marrone demanded execution that failed over and over. he never fixed it.

Carolina game.....

Browns game before he got hurt

Yeah, really. Give it 3 or 4 or 5 more years....

The Bills have looked very bush league with the leaks and whispers about Manuel being on the outs. If it's true, then the Bills deserve whatever punishment Manuel dishes out to them in his future career playing on another team. I

There was so much awesome in that one post, but I chose to focus on the most awesome part.

I found myself lambasting the tv on almost every drive for the last two years.. .

How is it no one else ever found you doing this? You must have gone through a lot of Kleenex...

You mean like anytime they ran shotgun with cj in the backfield it was a draw or a screen?

You mean like the time when CJ Spiller was useless?

CJ Spiller three years ago maybe would have helped but last year with his suckness and the OL sucking, well, Manuel had no favors given on that team.

About the footwork or the inaccuracy?

Hackett talked about EJ trusting what he sees and pulling the trigger more quickly as a cure for inaccuracy. I have reservations about Hackett as an OC, but I think he understood what he saw as a coach of players. I've seen articles quoting Brady on Luck, saying Luck was unusual for a young QB in that he would trust what he saw and make those throws quickly, and that if the QB hesitates then the ball comes out of his hand just a fraction of a second late and it's off. I've seen the same thing quoted by Rodgers that one thing that he felt he'd really improved

IMO you can see that in some of the plays on film. There's a throw in game 1 to Chandler where it's thrown behind him, and he gets a hand on it. IMHO the reason it's off is that EJ hesitated a fraction of a second and by the time the ball got to where Chandler was supposed to be, he'd already "been there and moved on".

I think timing is an underappreciated aspect of QB play

Lee, however, does not have my full confidence as a QB coach. I felt Fitzy regressed under his tutelage, and I felt he threw Geno under the bus after he left, ignoring that as the QB coach he himself should bear some responsibility for player development.

Its interesting that you bring up Lee and Fitz/Manuel

I was thinking about this the other day....Fitz DEF regressed under Lee

I do wonder if that was a situation of a old dog not being able to change his game without thinking too much....where as EJ might still be the (as Mayock put it) "Piece of clay that you can form into whatever you want at QB"

Im not saying your right or wrong....I just thought it was interesting