The press speculates on EJ's future

IMO, Foles was maximized by Kelly. He will never come close to the qb he was in 2013.

And Sanchez is pretty bad. But last year was the best season of his career.

These are average at best talents that Kelly has made very productive and won 10 games with his first 2 seasons. Kelly might be a terrible GM but he is a great offensive coach.

I agree that Foles may never come close to that season, but he also didn't come close to it last year under Kelly. And Sanchez had a better percentage and yards per attempt last year, but I'd argue that his 2011 season was his best. And he didn't have the weapons with the Jets that he did with the Eagles.

Edited by Doc

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly believe the Whaley / Rex conversation went something like this:

Whaley: I really believe that EJ can make it and that Marone did not give him a fair shot.

Rex: Okay, I will give him a fair shot. If he makes it, we all look good, if not, he will be on the bench or gone. I have to play the guy that will win now.

Whaley: That's fair, sounds good to me.

Rex: Cool.

Rex loses nothing by EJ succeeding or failing. Rex and Whaley are not competing for each other's power.

Marone was always competing for Whaley's power. Marrone lost power over Whaley if EJ made it.

I truly believe the Whaley / Rex conversation went something like this:

Whaley: I really believe that EJ can make it and that Marone did not give him a fair shot.

Rex: Okay, I will give him a fair shot. If he makes it, we all look good, if not, he will be on the bench or gone. I have to play the guy that will win now.

Whaley: That's fair, sounds good to me.

Rex: Cool.

Rex loses nothing by EJ succeeding or failing. Rex and Whaley are not competing for each other's power.

Marone was always competing for Whaley's power. Marrone lost power over Whaley if EJ made it.

Good post and very likely.

Can anyone point out a game in which EJ played well or did something that looked remotely like playing QB? Who cares who really wanted EJ. Marrone's only good move as a coach was benching him. And before anyone tries to claim the Carolina comeback had anything to do with EJ go look at the film. Penalty aided and FJ smart drop of a bad pass by EJ kept drive alive. I pray there is a team who wants to give us a draft pick for this monumental bust of a player. Loser at FSU and a loser now. Zebras don't change their stripes and neither will EJ. He will always be mediocre.

Can anyone point out a game in which EJ played well or did something that looked remotely like playing QB? Who cares who really wanted EJ. Marrone's only good move as a coach was benching him. And before anyone tries to claim the Carolina comeback had anything to do with EJ go look at the film. Penalty aided and FJ smart drop of a bad pass by EJ kept drive alive. I pray there is a team who wants to give us a draft pick for this monumental bust of a player. Loser at FSU and a loser now. Zebras don't change their stripes and neither will EJ. He will always be mediocre.

Haha. 4-0 in bowl games = loser? There is nothing better than some fan calling a millionaire 25 year old a "loser." But I'm sure you've accomplished a lot more in your field than EJ. Look in the mirror before you call someone a loser.

FYI, he smoked our current head coach at the Ralph.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

You're out of touch with any semblance of reality.

Yeah because it's a highly unlikely a new regime would trade away a QB whom they have no ties too, especially after signing 3 from the outside, whom they've made clear EJ has no advantage over any of them. <_<

And a team that traded the DRoY runner up from the same class as EJ, is of course not interested in trading picks from that class. :huh:

And of course no other team would trade for EJ, in spite of the fact that other recent 1st round disappointment Gabbert, Brady Quinn, and Jason Campbell were all traded by the team that drafted them. :blink:

its still just you making it up <_<:huh::blink:

IMO, Foles was maximized by Kelly. He will never come close to the qb he was in 2013.

And Sanchez is pretty bad. But last year was the best season of his career.

These are average at best talents that Kelly has made very productive and won 10 games with his first 2 seasons. Kelly might be a terrible GM but he is a great offensive coach.

Tebow to start? B-)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Haha. 4-0 in bowl games = loser? There is nothing better than some fan calling a millionaire 25 year old a "loser." But I'm sure you've accomplished a lot more in your field than EJ. Look in the mirror before you call someone a loser.

FYI, he smoked our current head coach at the Ralph.

Loser in terms or winning and losing. Record speaks for itself. Also, bowl games, really. He leaves FSU and they win national championship. Basically same team minus EJ. Simple math.

You're out of touch with any semblance of reality.

Perhaps, time will tell and nothing would make me happier than eating crow and EJ playing well. Just don't see it happening. I will be first to admit i am wrong when I am.

Wait, really?

His best game as a pro came against the Jets as a rookie. He was very good in that game, going 20-28 for 250 yards (that's a YPA of nearly 9) and 2 TDs.

He also played efficient in wins against Carolina and Jacksonville as a rookie, as well as the first two games of 2014.

If you don't think EJ can be a franchise guy, fine; there's plenty of fodder to support that stance. Let's not jump the shark by going to extremes that are well beyond reason.

Loser in terms or winning and losing. Record speaks for itself. Also, bowl games, really. He leaves FSU and they win national championship. Basically same team minus EJ. Simple math.

Perhaps, time will tell and nothing would make me happier than eating crow and EJ playing well. Just don't see it happening. I will be first to admit i am wrong when I am.

Nothing is worse than the use of "basically" to support or make an argument. It means one of two things: the argument you are making is flimsy or you're unwilling to provide the evidence (likely because you know it won't support your platform). FSU had nine players draft in 2013 and 5 in the first 42 picks. I think most would argue it's not "basically" the same team. I'm not actually against the argument that after he left, FSU was better. But I think your argument is flimsy, and the reality is that Winston, who is a POS human being so far, was a better QB. Does that mean EJ sucks? Not really, it means relative to JW, he wasn't as good. Or put another way, if they were in the same draft with the same college records and accolades, Winston goes before Manuel.

Aside from that, I'd love nothing more than EJ to turn it around. But if he doesn't. so be it. I won't call him a loser. In the real world, many people rise to a position and fail. You go from a staffer, to a project manager, to a department head to a vice president and get fired. Why? At some point everyone peaks. Not everyone is destined to be a CEO, some people are excellent project managers. Same with QBs, not everyone is destined to be an NFL start, some are just excellent college QBs.

Nothing is worse than the use of "basically" to support or make an argument. It means one of two things: the argument you are making is flimsy or you're unwilling to provide the evidence (likely because you know it won't support your platform). FSU had nine players draft in 2013 and 5 in the first 42 picks. I think most would argue it's not "basically" the same team. I'm not actually against the argument that after he left, FSU was better. But I think your argument is flimsy, and the reality is that Winston, who is a POS human being so far, was a better QB. Does that mean EJ sucks? Not really, it means relative to JW, he wasn't as good. Or put another way, if they were in the same draft with the same college records and accolades, Winston goes before Manuel.

Aside from that, I'd love nothing more than EJ to turn it around. But if he doesn't. so be it. I won't call him a loser. In the real world, many people rise to a position and fail. You go from a staffer, to a project manager, to a department head to a vice president and get fired. Why? At some point everyone peaks. Not everyone is destined to be a CEO, some people are excellent project managers. Same with QBs, not everyone is destined to be an NFL start, some are just excellent college QBs.

Basically, you are right.

Wait, really?

His best game as a pro came against the Jets as a rookie. He was very good in that game, going 20-28 for 250 yards (that's a YPA of nearly 9) and 2 TDs.

He also played efficient in wins against Carolina and Jacksonville as a rookie, as well as the first two games of 2014.

If you don't think EJ can be a franchise guy, fine; there's plenty of fodder to support that stance. Let's not jump the shark by going to extremes that are well beyond reason.

I guess grasping onto EJ looking good against a bad Jets team can give you hope. It does nothing for me and I will be pulling for him if he starts as I want wins like al of us. I just don't think he will be the QB to do it.

Basically, you are right.

I guess grasping onto EJ looking good against a bad Jets team can give you hope. It does nothing for me and I will be pulling for him if he starts as I want wins like al of us. I just don't think he will be the QB to do it.

I don't know why you (a) think I'm grasping onto anything or (b) are now changing the narrative.

YOU asked for anyone to show you an example of the kid playing well. I obliged.

I also think that you're going way beyond reason by claiming he was as lousy as you seem to believe in virtually every other game.

The book on EJ isn't yet completely written, but the chapters we have so far read like this IMO:

Has played well at times, has played extremely poorly at times, and has been everywhere in between.

Not consistent enough, and still has issues with trusting what he sees as well as with lower-body mechanics.

He needs to improve in a hurry if he wants to make good on what's likely his last chance in Buffalo.

I don't know why you (a) think I'm grasping onto anything or (b) are now changing the narrative.

YOU asked for anyone to show you an example of the kid playing well. I obliged.

I also think that you're going way beyond reason by claiming he was as lousy as you seem to believe in virtually every other game.

The book on EJ isn't yet completely written, but the chapters we have so far read like this IMO:

Has played well at times, has played extremely poorly at times, and has been everywhere in between.

Not consistent enough, and still has issues with trusting what he sees as well as with lower-body mechanics.

He needs to improve in a hurry if he wants to make good on what's likely his last chance in Buffalo.

Well, I did ask. Thanks for your answer. And I will agree with your assessment. Well said. For the record I don't think there was anyone in all of Bills Nation that didn't question the draft pick and and hasn't questioned it ever since.

Well, I did ask. Thanks for your answer. And I will agree with your assessment. Well said. For the record I don't think there was anyone in all of Bills Nation that didn't question the draft pick and and hasn't questioned it ever since.

raises hand... I didn't have an issue with the pick. They needed a qb in a limited qb draft. Imo (and theirs) he was the best available. He was a project for sure, but I didn't have an issue with that either given who else was available that year.

Not giving him a QB coach and having him develop under a rookie OC and rookie HC and no vet qb on the roster to learn from - now that I had an issue with!

Edited by YoloinOhio

EJ . the mismanaged project.

Can he be saved by a set of real coaches?

stay tuned.

its on the line now.

lets wish him well.

or look forward to the draft in which we will have to trade up 31 spots

raises hand... I didn't have an issue with the pick. They needed a qb in a limited qb draft. Imo (and theirs) he was the best available. He was a project for sure, but I didn't have an issue with that either given who else was available that year.

Not giving him a QB coach and having him develop under a rookie OC and rookie HC and no vet qb on the roster - now that I had an issue with!

I didn't have an issue with the pick either. I was at first relieved it wasn't Nassib, and then I was happy that they were taking a flyer on Manuel who I saw play in a few FSU games and thought he looked like a play making QB with a lot of potential given his size and athletic ability.

Not giving him a QB coach and having him develop under a rookie OC and rookie HC and no vet qb on the roster to learn from - now that I had an issue with!

I stand corrected. You had to have been surprised by the pick. Yolo tell me honestly you considered the Bills drafting EJ prior to the draft and I'll believe it. But there is no way you thought he would be taken in the first round. That is still mind boggling.

:flirt: Basically, this topic has never come up before nor has that question ever been addressed. (note: SARCASM) Consider using the search function before starting threads. Here's his gamelogs, go look for yourself. When you ask a question "did something that looked remotely like playing QB", keep in mind that's a low bar to set, and the Caroline game most certainly does meets it. Many a game hinges on a few key penalty and plays; if you know something about football, you understand that.

Typically a game where the QB completes >60% of his passes, nails >7 YPA, and doesn't turn the ball over more than 1x, most experts would concede he had "something to do" with the team's success.

There would be 6 such games out of EJ's 14 starts to date.

Lastly, the Seminoles were, as a fact, winners during EJ's 4 years there.

BuffaloMatt with 50 posts, huh? Does your Daddy know you're on here trolling the board like this?

I stand corrected. You had to have been surprised by the pick. Yolo tell me honestly you considered the Bills drafting EJ prior to the draft and I'll believe it. But there is no way you thought he would be taken in the first round. That is still mind boggling.

no, I wasn't surprised.

I feel like I jumped in the hot tub time machine and I'm in a thread from 2013 all of a sudden.

Edited by YoloinOhio