The press speculates on EJ's future

I didn't have an issue with the pick either. I was at first relieved it wasn't Nassib, and then I was happy that they were taking a flyer on Manuel who I saw play in a few FSU games and thought he looked like a play making QB with a lot of potential given his size and athletic ability.

Me three. I was also happy it wasn't Nassib, Barkley, or Geno Smith (attitude boy). I thought EJ was a project, and I had been disappointed they didn't make more of a push to keep Fitz, especially when they replaced him with "German word for Made of Glass" Kolb and TJax, not because I thought Fitz had strong potential to be good (by then that had worn off) but because I thought he was the better alternative as a bridging QB if EJ wasn't ready to play as a rookie.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected. You had to have been surprised by the pick. Yolo tell me honestly you considered the Bills drafting EJ prior to the draft and I'll believe it. But there is no way you thought he would be taken in the first round. That is still mind boggling.

I wanted EJ as the pick and said so numerous times. Not because I thought he was really good but because we had to take a QB in the first round and EJ had the highest ceiling to me if by chance he turned into the franchise guy. A LOT of fans here wanted EJ, although granted it was more of best of the list of crappy choices.

And you would expect an NFL GM to say what exactly?

You changed my reply from the word "known" to "speculated". I gave you video proof of Whaley saying that he was integral part of drafting Manuel. Even if he's lying as you suggest he is, he is the current GM and he took big time ownership using the word "integral" in drafting Manuel. I don't think he was lying, I think that he was just being respectful to the outgoing GM Nix.

So Whaley has indeed tied himself to Manuel that can't simply be walked back. He can't dump Manuel and say that he was Nix's pick all along and that he's looking forward to drafting his guy. Good, bad or ugly, EJ Manuel is forever tied to Whaley's resume because of what he said at the time. I don't think there's any chance that Whaley risks Manuel flourishing with another team in 2015.

Another thing, if Manuel actually does become a great franchise QB for the Bills and they win a Superbowl with him as their QB, then Whaley is suddenly looking like he's on a legendary GM path. The Manuel dream is probably not such an easy dream to give up on for him. I think that he wants to see Manuel's third full year with the Bills before he's ready to give up and Rex and Roman know and accepted that deal.

You changed my reply from the word "known" to "speculated". I gave you video proof of Whaley saying that he was integral part of drafting Manuel. Even if he's lying as you suggest he is, he is the current GM and he took big time ownership using the word "integral" in drafting Manuel. I don't think he was lying, I think that he was just being respectful to the outgoing GM Nix.

So Whaley has indeed tied himself to Manuel that can't simply be walked back. He can't dump Manuel and say that he was Nix's pick all along and that he's looking forward to drafting his guy. Good, bad or ugly, EJ Manuel is forever tied to Whaley's resume because of what he said at the time. I don't think there's any chance that Whaley risks Manuel flourishing with another team in 2015.

Another thing, if Manuel actually does become a great franchise QB for the Bills and they win a Superbowl with him as their QB, then Whaley is suddenly looking like he's on a legendary GM path. The Manuel dream is probably not such an easy dream to give up on for him. I think that he wants to see Manuel's third full year with the Bills before he's ready to give up and Rex and Roman know and accepted that deal.

If whaley is a smart guy, and I think he is, the last thing he would do is fight to keep EJ around when hes not performing, and contribute to more losing seasons. Smart people cut their losses fast. Edited by JTSP

If whaley is a smart guy, and I think he is, the last thing he would do is fight to keep EJ around when hes not performing, and contribute to more losing seasons. Smart people cut their losses fast.

You talking about practice? Practice? I hate to tell you (actually I really don't), but you find out almost nothing about an NFL QB's prospects in practice (or preseason games for that matter).

Whaley is going to keep Manuel around to see what he does if or when he does get his chance to start in real games. He's not dumb enough to think young QBs have no shot at getting better after only 14 starts into their careers. Even if there's only a 5% shot, Whaley is taking it.

You talking about practice? Practice? I hate to tell you (actually I really don't), but you find out almost nothing about an NFL QB's prospects in practice (or preseason games for that matter).

Whaley is going to keep Manuel around to see what he does if or when he does get his chance to start in real games. He's not dumb enough to think young QBs have no shot at getting better after only 14 starts into their careers. Even if there's only a 5% shot, Whaley is taking it.

So there was no correlation with EJ being brutal in practice and brutal in games last year?

Maybe they get all those terrible INT's and misses out of their system?

When the Packers decided they didn't want Favre back, do you think Aaron Rodgers was bad in practice?

Edited by FireChan

Bills coaches sure sound gushy positive about Taylor

Tyrod Taylor getting legit chance to win Bills QB job

Ryan said. "I think the ability is hard to ignore, some of the things that he has."

"We looked at him hard when I was with Rex with the Jets," said quarterback coach David Lee, referring to Ryan's failed attempt to acquire Taylor from the Ravens where he warmed the bench for four years behind Joe Flacco. "He's got that uncommon speed, man, at our position. So this guy is exciting to all of us because he has that dimension of, 'Hey, I can beat you with my legs and not just my arm.' "

"I think he has a beautiful throwing motion and I just have to think we've got to see how accurate he is," said Lee. "He's in this competition as much as anybody to get the starting job."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/05/29/bills-qb-competition-underway/28181859/

Edited by JTSP

“I think right now you just want to put your best foot forward as a competitor. As an athlete, you always want to go out and do your best. You don’t want to put anything bad on film, so whether” competition beginning with training camp is “true or not, I don’t know. But I think, as an athlete, you’ve got to go out there and do your best every time.”'

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/05/30/bills-manuel-hopes-a-bit-bigger-will-be-better/

Bills’ Manuel hopes a bit bigger will be better [1:12 AM]

I wanted EJ as the pick and said so numerous times. Not because I thought he was really good but because we had to take a QB in the first round and EJ had the highest ceiling to me if by chance he turned into the franchise guy. A LOT of fans here wanted EJ, although granted it was more of best of the list of crappy choices.

Yes...there were a bunch of us in that exact mindset

I haven't read all 19 pages, it hurts the eyes trying to do it off of an IPhone but now that Simms is claimed I expect Manuel to get traded. The Redskins or Eagles could make sense, it's not what I want but it's what I expect.

:thumbsup:

I haven't read all 19 pages, it hurts the eyes trying to do it off of an IPhone but now that Simms is claimed I expect Manuel to get traded. The Redskins or Eagles could make sense, it's not what I want but it's what I expect.

What exactly about Simms' performance in college or the NFL would lead Whaley to conclude that Manuel is now expendable?

imo the only player it made expendable (clearly) was Tuel Edited by YoloinOhio

imo the only player it made expendable (clearly) was Tuel

There's still 4 QBs, 1 has to go. I can't imagine the Bills picking up Simms just to release him, he's clearly a back up to a back up. That means 1 of the other 3 has to go. I think that it's a 2 horse race between Taylor and Manuel and Ryan has been praising Taylor and I don't see or hear a lot about Manuel coming from him. I hope I'm wrong, I like Manuel, he's been working his ass off but I think that the poor bastard got caught in a cross fire with all the changes we have been going through. Marone didn't do Manuel any favors, that's for sure.

Edited by Tipster19

There's still 4 QBs, 1 has to go. I can't imagine the Bills picking up Simms just to release him, he's clearly a back up to a back up. That means 1 of the other 3 has to go. I think that it's a 2 horse race between Taylor and Manuel and Ryan has been praising Taylor and I don't see or hear a lot about Manuel coming from him. I hope I'm wrong, I like Manuel, he's been working his ass off but I think that the poor bastard got caught in a cross fire with all the changes we have been going through. Marone didn't do Manuel any favors, that's for sure.

Why not? He's Tuel's replacement and nothing more unless he wows everyone in camp.

:flirt: Basically, this topic has never come up before nor has that question ever been addressed. (note: SARCASM) Consider using the search function before starting threads. Here's his gamelogs, go look for yourself. When you ask a question "did something that looked remotely like playing QB", keep in mind that's a low bar to set, and the Caroline game most certainly does meets it. Many a game hinges on a few key penalty and plays; if you know something about football, you understand that.

Typically a game where the QB completes >60% of his passes, nails >7 YPA, and doesn't turn the ball over more than 1x, most experts would concede he had "something to do" with the team's success.

There would be 6 such games out of EJ's 14 starts to date.

Lastly, the Seminoles were, as a fact, winners during EJ's 4 years there.

BuffaloMatt with 50 posts, huh? Does your Daddy know you're on here trolling the board like this?

This first part of the response is really an immature way to respond to someone who puts forward a non-cheerleading post about Manuel. I get this is a fan's board, but characterizing those with counter-arguments to what most fans say is off the mark.

At the same time, I keep reading how Manuel hasn't progressed because he had such poor coaching. That his development can now begin with better people in charge. And yet no one on the team seems to be talking Manuel up...at all. In fact, there's a lot of discussion about Tyrod Taylor, he of the 35 career NFL passes variety. That should make fans, even the rah-rah ones, stand up and take notice. Especially those who believe Manuel is just some better coaching away from success.

Manuel doesn't strike me as just needing better coaching. He needs mechanics and better decision making.

We'll see what happens when camp starts in July.

This first part of the response is really an immature way to respond to someone who puts forward a non-cheerleading post about Manuel. I get this is a fan's board, but characterizing those with counter-arguments to what most fans say is off the mark.

At the same time, I keep reading how Manuel hasn't progressed because he had such poor coaching. That his development can now begin with better people in charge. And yet no one on the team seems to be talking Manuel up...at all. In fact, there's a lot of discussion about Tyrod Taylor, he of the 35 career NFL passes variety. That should make fans, even the rah-rah ones, stand up and take notice. Especially those who believe Manuel is just some better coaching away from success.

Manuel doesn't strike me as just needing better coaching. He needs mechanics and better decision making.

We'll see what happens when camp starts in July.

What teammates are talking up ANY of the QBs at this point?

Link?