Quality of Bills Coaching Staff

eball

I don't know if this deserves its own thread or not, but I was thinking about the Bills' coaches -- particularly over the past 10-15 years -- and it's very clear to me that the current coaching staff is head and shoulders above anything we've seen since the "glory days" of the 90s.

The last couple of years this was primarily seen on the defensive side of the ball, with coaches like Pettine, Henderson, Schwartz, Rex, Thurman joining the ranks.

Now, it appears the offense has finally joined the party. Roman is legitimate HC material. Kromer's reputation as an OL coach is outstanding.

Across the board, I'd be hard pressed to find fault with the staff Rex has assembled. No longer will we be forced to watch a young coach learn on the job, or see if a college guy promoted to the big leagues can handle the transition.

People talk about the talent the Bills have assembled on the roster; there's a boatload of experienced talent in the coaching room as well.

I've asked this question before...

The salary cap forces each team to pay similar amounts to players. However, were the Bills before Pegula always trying to get away with spending less on other facets of the franchise, such as coaches' salaries?

I believe that now that they are willing to spend more, the Bills fans will soon be seeing the difference in the win/loss record.

I've asked this question before...

The salary cap forces each team to pay similar amounts to players. However, were the Bills before Pegula always trying to get away with spending less on other facets of the franchise, such as coaches' salaries?

I believe that now that they are willing to spend more, the Bills fans will soon be seeing the difference in the win/loss record.

I think we will also see it in talent evaluation.

E Ball and Greybeard, I'm glad you posted this thread and your response. Wilson's downfall was always in trying to cut costs on coaching staff. The last time he pent money on a coach was not Levy who was relegated to the CFL, but on Chuck Knox. He was a real hire from the Chargers in 1980.

We have a top notch staff now, and I believe are turning the corner.

E Ball and Greybeard, I'm glad you posted this thread and your response. Wilson's downfall was always in trying to cut costs on coaching staff. The last time he pent money on a coach was not Levy who was relegated to the CFL, but on Chuck Knox. He was a real hire from the Chargers in 1980.

Chuck Knox was the coach of the Rams not the Chargers. You are however right about Wilson being notoriously cheap when it came to coaches and staff. The most telling incident was in Polian's book, Wilson did not want to hire a Director of Pro Personnel. He didn't think the position was necessary, even though every other team had one.

Knox came from th Rams, but you are correct about the money aspect.

Is Pegula paying significantly more for this coaching staff than the 2014 staff was paid?

Is Rex/Thurman that much better than Schwartz?

OP posted this after the MArrone hire: "One thing that strikes me, is that our three new coaches all sound really, really articulate and sharp. Not your father's Bills".

Isn't this said here every time there is a HC change?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Ralph was cheap?

How much more is a winning team worth? The investment in coaches and scouting will prove to be a wise move and lead to a net improvement to the bottom line.

I`ll grade them after the season. Seen this smoke and mirrors act many,many times. Some are slow to learn. Show me,talk is cheap.

Agreed but the kool aid is so sweet, I've been slowly drinking and it's hard to deny their former success and not try to apply it to this year

Is Pegula paying significantly more for this coaching staff than the 2014 staff was paid?

OP posted this after the MArrone hire: "One thing that strikes me, is that our three new coaches all sound really, really articulate and sharp. Not your father's Bills".

It is perfectly natural to be optimistic and hopeful when changes are made. That's not really the point of this thread.

Some of the other coaches are pretty good too. McDonald went to the probowl 5 times in his career as a safety. He knows a thing or two about the position. Donnie Henderson has also been around for a long time. He was a DB coach for the Jets in 2004-2005. He later worked for Detriot and was actually thought highly of since he was named defensive coordinator(didn't last long was fired....Detroit went 3-13). He then went back to a defensive backs coach position for Arizona. Later Henderson coached at Syracuse and came to Buffalo with Marone. Rex likes him too and he is still here. Our back field is not only talented, but the coaches are pretty good too.

There are some other coaches that have a good chance of advancing their careers. Two come from coaching families.

Tony Sporano is our TE's coach. His father(I'm sure some of you have heard of him) has coached for many years and happens to know a lot about coaching TE's. His son is following in his dad's footsteps and though he doesn't have a lot of experience, you can bet he will get some this year. In Greg Roman's offense the TE is going to be used in ways we are not used to seeing.

The other name Is Bobby April III. He's a LB coach who followed Rex here from the Jets. Last year DAVID HARRIS, DEMARIO DAVIS and CALVIN PACE, all set career numbers. That was Bobby's 1st year as a LBs coach after serving as a quality control assistant the year before.

Obviously, Ryan, Roman, Thurman and Kromer are going to get a lot of attention. But there is another coach that was retained after Marone left and a lot of us thought he was going to stink. He's so far proved us wrong and is in a good position to improve even further this year. His name is Danny Crossman. I expect the Bills will lead the league on special teams this coming season.

BTW, good post, OP!!!

Edited by Rockinon

I think they are paying more, starting with Rex getting a five year contract instead of the usual four year. I would venture to guess Roman is being paid way more than Hackett, probably closer the HC money. I also think there are more coaches on the offensive side.

I cant find the dollar amount posted but yes I do think we are paying more...especially more then we used to pay for the ASSISTANT coaches then we have in the past. I think Marrone got more then we have paid (lets keep in mind that the wheels of change did not start happening with Rex but the year prior......with a new young GM Whaley in control you could see that things were already in motion......when the Pegula's came on board it was change on sterioids)

IMO they are certainly not WORSE then Schwartz....I think we got really lucky with Schwartz that year. I have said all along that sometimes the bext OC and DC guys are former HC who made their bones being shart OC and DC's. Rex Ryan is widely acclaimed to be one of the better defensive minds on this NFL's generation.......I dont even worry about the D.......what we need to see is if Rex has learned from his first Jets HC stint and taken his hands off of the offense and let the rockstar OC that he hired do his job.

Because a lot of these guys are future HC material

I think that the quality of the coaches is always talked about being better.....but not the amount of money spent on the coaches being more.......I look at this coaching staff overall and you see quality right down into the positional coaches.....Rex Ryan is creating his own "coaching tree"

I`ll grade them after the season. Seen this smoke and mirrors act many,many times. Some are slow to learn. Show me,talk is cheap.

Having witnessed every season of the Bills franchise -with true fandom coming '64, you are completely mistaken. You Haven't seen this level of respected coaches amassed with the Bills at ANY time.

Great thread, eball and I don't think its been specifically addressed in a thread prior. Of course the proof will be on the field, but the overall pedigree of this staff is our finest.

If only we had a QB..

It is perfectly natural to be optimistic and hopeful when changes are made. That's not really the point of this thread.

Well, it is a "these aren't your father's Bills staffers" kind of thread.

I asked about if they were actually being paid more. I don't really know. I'd like to see the numbers to compare. I assume that's what your thread is about.

As for the caliber of the staff, most seem to be recently the Jets staff, plus Roman. Maybe they will produce great results, but I bet Jets fans (and some 49ers fans) aren't as impresed with our coaching staff.

Edited by Mr. WEO