ESPN, really? Bills 8-8, Fins favorite in East if Brady Susp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because a lot of Bills fans are miserable bastards who aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

It's either this or the fact that the Patriots have won 26 out of their last 30 match-ups against the Bills.

I'm not sure which it is though.

I don't care what the predictions say, but I am curious why there's so much hype around Miami. Maybe I'll look foolish by season's end but I think 8-8 would be good for them. I just don't see the massive improvement over last year.

They downgraded in a lot of areas in order to sign Suh.

Only in Buffalo do people see the change to Rex Ryan as a massive upgrade. The rest of the NFL followers see the Bills replacing Marrone with a coach Marrone beat twice last year, a coach who has never developed a QB, a coach who has never developed a very good NFL offense, and a coach who hasn't been playoff relevent since EJ Manuel was in high school.

Once the rose colored "we have just replaced kay stephenson with Vince Lombardi" glasses are removed, the rest of the analysis tracks the QB situation.

In the last several years only 2 or 3 QBs total with regular season passer ratings in the bottom 10 have made the playoffs. The Bills appear to be in that position. The national media isn't personally biased towards the Bills. No national media prognosticator improves their stature by being wrong. They have every incentive to get it right, they are far more objective than the fans of teams are.

If you are struggling to see how the media looks at it, it is most likely because you can't get past your fan bias.

Only in Buffalo do people see the change to Rex Ryan as a massive upgrade. The rest of the NFL followers see the Bills replacing Marrone with a coach Marrone beat twice last year, a coach who has never developed a QB, a coach who has never developed a very good NFL offense, and a coach who hasn't been playoff relevent since EJ Manuel was in high school.

Once the rose colored "we have just replaced kay stephenson with Vince Lombardi" glasses are removed, the rest of the analysis tracks the QB situation.

In the last several years only 2 or 3 QBs total with regular season passer ratings in the bottom 10 have made the playoffs. The Bills appear to be in that position. The national media isn't personally biased towards the Bills. No national media prognosticator improves their stature by being wrong. They have every incentive to get it right, they are far more objective than the fans of teams are.

If you are struggling to see how the media looks at it, it is most likely because you can't get past your fan bias.

:lol::lol:

You're 100% spot-on, but good luck trying to explain this in the offseason.

Brady > Tannehill > EJ > Smith/Petty

That about sums it up.

crack>meth>heroine>cocaine

Like the only players on the field will be QB's?

So done with the QB bulls&^%. Ryan's D goes to AFC championship games with a QB whose stats were worse than EJ, and his Ravens win a Super Bowl with QB's whose stats are worse than Cassel and EJ.

Let the QB thing go for God's frickin sake.

crack>meth>heroine>cocaine

Like the only players on the field will be QB's?

So done with the QB bulls&^%. Ryan's D goes to AFC championship games with a QB whose stats were worse than EJ, and his Ravens win a Super Bowl with QB's whose stats are worse than Cassel and EJ.

Let the QB thing go for God's frickin sake.

pretty sure heroin > crack and meth > crack...

but anyway... wtf are you talking about?

Only the full blown shortbus fans see it this way.....

Because Marrone has ever made the playoffs, developed an NFL QB, or had a very good NFL offense, despite being an offensive coach, unlike Ryan? Is this really the point you/they wanted to make?

As for QBR and playoffs, Rex had one of them, with Sanchez in 2009. And they went to the AFCCG.

Oh and EJ was not in high school in 2010.

I won't say he's a "massive" upgrade, but he's an upgrade. Add in all the talent they brought in and thinking they'll lose a game compared to last year is silly at best.

I really don't put much stock in preseason predictions, but this one has me scratching my head. In the insider piece on the Dolphins becoming the AFC East favorite, if Brady is suspended for any considerable time, they lauded the Dolphins as their pick - mainly due to their FA signings.

This is what they said about the Bills:

"The Bills last year had a bad offense and a great, underrated defense. Now that Rex Ryan is in charge, they are likely to have a bad offense and a great, properly rated defense."

So, an offense that went 9-7 (and was a Bryce Brown goal line fumble away from 10-6) and added Clay, Felton, Incognito, McCoy and Harvin will be worse?

Make some sense of that for me, will ya boys?

I believe that it effectively represents the entire 30 seconds of research ESPN did on the Bills.

I don't care what the predictions say, but I am curious why there's so much hype around Miami. Maybe I'll look foolish by season's end but I think 8-8 would be good for them. I just don't see the massive improvement over last year.

Nor me. I think we are all supposed to be terrified by Jarvis Landry, DeVante Parker, Kenny Stills, Greg Jennings and Jordan Cameron. However, for me not only is Sammy Watkins better than all of them... I think Robert Woods is too.

Taking the most non-Bills-biased perspective I believe I'm capable of, I'd have to say the optimism regarding the Fish comes down to this:

-- expectations that Tannehill will continue to take steps forward in his 4th season (he has improved each year)

-- addition of Suh to an already good DL

-- acquisitions of Parker, Stills, and Cameron to offset losses of Wallace and Clay

-- 2nd year improvement of Landry

I think, overall, one would call that an improved roster.

On the flip side, one can argue that Philbin is nothing more than an average HC, their OL still has a lot of question marks, the running game is suspect, and their "back 7" on defense is nothing to write home about (outside of Grimes).

I predict another 8-8 campaign.