Offensive Line

Yes.

What does it say if they are considering moving him to LT?

Not sure. They think Henderson might be really good, they are really worried about Glenn or they might be grooming Henderson as a "swing tackle". In any event, I don't know how you can decide until the hitting starts.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should wait until after the last day of final cuts and pick up some garbage OL guy, maybe two, and plug them into start on week 1.

:blink::wacko::blink:

Marv? Is that you?

:worthy:

Yes.

What does it say if they are considering moving him to LT?

The coaching staff has an open mind about finding the best Fab Five - unlike last year's crew of high school hall monitors who simply punished players they didn't like.

I wasn't impressed with Henderson as everyone else seems to be. He was awful against the Raiders and a big reason why the offense was non existent in that game leading to a loss.

He was very poor against the Raiders I don't think anyone disputes that. He was up and down all year. He was either good or bad in each game there wasn't much "average" play from him. He had particular problems, as did the whole line, against teams running inside stunts where he was trying to hold outside leverage and getting beaten inside.

Sal mentioned that "2nd year FA" Darryl Johnson was working at RT yesterday along with Kouandjoie and Henderson. I have to admit I've never heard of him, but glad to hear we have another tackle on the team. I thought we only had 4.

Here he is at LT for the Lobos, #71:

- Looks like a good athlete.

- That initial set of his could use a lot of work.

- Pretty good workout numbers: 22 BP reps, 30-1/2" vertical, 9'2" broad

- Does a good job of mirroring in pass protection; kick slide looks pretty good

- Likes to cut block apparently

Probably needs to add some bulk, and he definitely has to work on using his hands better. Looks like a legitimate contender to make the roster as a 4th tackle. From what I can tell, he's a far better athlete than Tyson Chandler; better raw material IMO.

IIRC the Bears line was much improved during Kromer's tenure there as well

Their OL in 2013 was great, and much improved. They were the key to their offensive success that year. They also stayed very healthy throughout the year. Last season, they had slot of injuries and regressed.

Here he is at LT for the Lobos, #71:

- Looks like a good athlete.

- That initial set of his could use a lot of work.

- Pretty good workout numbers: 22 BP reps, 30-1/2" vertical, 9'2" broad

- Does a good job of mirroring in pass protection; kick slide looks pretty good

- Likes to cut block apparently

Probably needs to add some bulk, and he definitely has to work on using his hands better. Looks like a legitimate contender to make the roster as a 4th tackle. From what I can tell, he's a far better athlete than Tyson Chandler; better raw material IMO.

thanks... Hopefully he can provide some decent depth at OT. I truly think coaching and scheme and adding the two new guards is going to make a big difference. Edited by YoloinOhio

Their OL in 2013 was great, and much improved. They were the key to their offensive success that year. They also stayed very healthy throughout the year. Last season, they had slot of injuries and regressed.

Last year's injuries at the LG position (Slauson and his primary backup) and a brutal regression by Jordan Mills at RT really hurt their OL.

thanks... Hopefully he can provide some decent depth at OT. I truly think coaching and scheme and adding the two new guards is going to make a big difference.

Agreed. Although I'm of the opinion that if the team gets down to this kid (or whoever the #4 OT end up being) starting appreciable numbers of games, they're probably in trouble up front anyway. They really need a fierce competition between a much-improved Kouandjio and a no-longer-wet-behind-the-ears Henderson for the #2 OT job.

Not sure. They think Henderson might be really good, they are really worried about Glenn or they might be grooming Henderson as a "swing tackle". In any event, I don't know how you can decide until the hitting starts.

I think maybe all of the above. Initial reports are Kujo on the rt, Glenn on the left, and Henderson with the 2's which would fit the idea that they think Henderson could be a "swing tackle" and backup. But you're right, none of it matters until the pads go on - it's easy to beat air.

Would be cool if Glenn played next to Miller , play some Glenn Miller music at the Ralph

No , I'am not Howard :)

I like Glenn Miller. Good for swing dancing. I'm "In the Mood" for some swing dancing!

The coaching staff has an open mind about finding the best Fab Five - unlike last year's crew of high school hall monitors who simply punished players they didn't like.

Worse than the "punishing players who transgress" mindset was the "best 5 guys" mindset which said "these guys are the best athletes, therefore we must line them up on the field together" - never mind technique or ability to adjust might be better in a less-physically-gifted guy. You can't coach height and arm length, but you also can't measure heart, willpower, and on-field smarts, which is why Kyle Williams goes to the Probowl while taller stronger guys go home.

Edited by Hopeful

It the injury issue is what really scares me concerning the Bills. Right now they've got a very, very good LT in Glenn, but not an even average at RT. Incognito is a wildcard - if he returns to form then we've got another guy that's definitely well above average. We've got a rookie guard that I hope does well, but is totally unproven. Wood is average at center and I'm basing that on his career, not last season. The rest look pretty rough and that includes the back ups and anyone at might start in place of those mentioned. The group looks manageable as they stand, but if Glenn or anyone else that is playing reasonably well goes down then we are in real trouble. Offensive lines always have injuries and one bad player often leads to others getting injured. This is obviously a huge concern to me.

Edited by BarleyNY

I feel like Doug Moron was so incredibly awful and took great care to insert his awfulness into the OL, we have to just wait and see. Whalley has definitely made investments in the line through the draft. Maybe his picks sucked or maybe Moron is a horrific OL coach. As many have pointed out, a lot of these same players were playing quite well a few years ago. I happen to think some of that was Chan's scheme, but not all of it.

It is regrettable though. Someone made the point that the OL and QB (our biggest weaknesses) are the most important things to have and I agree.

Aaron Rogers and a strong OL would be able to take any random sampling of NFL caliber players at all of the other positions to the playoffs every year.

I feel like Doug Moron was so incredibly awful and took great care to insert his awfulness into the OL, we have to just wait and see. Whalley has definitely made investments in the line through the draft. Maybe his picks sucked or maybe Moron is a horrific OL coach. As many have pointed out, a lot of these same players were playing quite well a few years ago. I happen to think some of that was Chan's scheme, but not all of it.

It was mostly due to Joe D'Alessandris, OL coach that Marrone dumped when he came to Buffalo and Chargers quickly scooped up. He was often seen on sideline helping OL adjust what they do. The coach Marrone hired just yelled at players. And only morons are those who can not spell names properly or even worse choose to misspell it in attempt to back up a weak argument.