La'El Collins signs with the Cowboys

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also all he got was 3 years for 1.6 million. I'm sure Bills would be ok paying your starting tackle 1.6 over 3 years.

He got exactly the same amount of money in Dallas (1.6 over 3 years) as he could have got in Buffalo.

Face it...the kid had the unique ability to pick his team.

He got exactly the same amount of money in Dallas (1.6 over 3 years) as he could have got in Buffalo.

Face it...the kid had the unique ability to pick his team.

thats my point, that is the contract he signed for so hes happy with that....If the Bills took him in the 7th, he would have signed the same deal...low risk

This is a terrible terrible move by the Bills Management.

Obviously they had great interest in Collins and we all know OL is a huge need that we only filled with Incognito. So you can't spend a 7th round pick to get him? or buy into the last 4 picks of the 7th round. Pegula isnt cheap and takes risks, i.e Incognito, so buying the 3rd last pick in the draft to get Collins wasn't thought of?

#1 Its poor publicity that your coach runs down to Baton Rouge 3 days after the draft to woo this guy and lose him. So fanbase knows you were interested in a guy that you could have full control of and for cheap 3 days earlier, but choose to get in a free for all with teams that have an advantage over you. i.e locations, coaches familiar with hiim etc.

I dont care if Collins said he wouldn't play for a year if drafted after 3rd round. you take the kid with a 7th and give up 50,000 dollars and call his bluff. Also all he got was 3 years for 1.6 million. I'm sure Bills would be ok paying your starting tackle 1.6 over 3 years.

we overpaid an average to slightly above avg TE/FB but couldn't risk 50K on a guy that could be our starting tackle at 1.6 for 3 years?

It all comes down to risk/reward. The cost curve on this kid was sooo low that you would be an idiot to not spend a 7th on him. considering how many 7th round picks get cut, the cost curve is low. The bills dont care from a fan relations perspective or else they wouldn't sign Incognito if were very tight on that policy etc. Harvin had team issues etc. I understand Collins issues are bigger but again for a 7th round pick cost, its nothing

Terrible job by the Bills. It's also a terrible job by every other suitor including Dolphins

I expect your 10th post to be better

Edited by John from Hemet

thats my point, that is the contract he signed for so hes happy with that....If the Bills took him in the 7th, he would have signed the same deal...low risk

Not when his agent said he'd refuse to sign if drafted past the 3rd round.

Ultimately, he'll make a lot more money being an UDFA and going to a team of his choosing than any 7th round pick would make, so it's an easy decision from his perspective.

Also, aside from the Saint's and Houston, I believe Dallas is the closest NFL team to Baton Rouge. That would make it easy for his family to attend games, which may have been the deciding factor...

Edited by Lurker

Not when his agent said he'd refuse to sign if drafted past the 3rd round.

Ultimately, he'll make a lot more money being an UDFA and going to a team of his choosing than any 7th round pick would make, so it's an easy decision from his perspective.

Also, aside from the Saint's, I believe Dallas is the closest NFL team to Baton Rouge. That would make it easy for his family to attend games, which may have been the deciding factor...

Let him sit out 1 year. call his bluff. McCoy didnt want to come here and then boom so happy...money talks. He would have been fine and we would have filled a need at an ultra cheap price and cost

I expect your 10th post to be better

LMAO, you are joking right?

we are post counting now?

you count your posts while the rest of the world counts their dollars.

Let him sit out 1 year. call his bluff. McCoy didnt want to come here and then boom so happy...money talks. He would have been fine and we would have filled a need at an ultra cheap price and cost

All conjecture. What money, BTW? Seventh-round money that's pocket change and can't be compared to Shady's deal?

Moreover, going with your logic, the Bills decision is no worse than 31 other teams...

Edited by Lurker

Son of a biscut

Once we didn't draft him he wasn't going to be a Bill and I applaud Rex for giving it a valiant effort. All around home run on this offseason everywhere but the Oline and you can't say they didn't try.

I don't have any kids (that I'm aware of :) ).

Is Leary better than our guards?

Better than either guy that started last year, yeah.

I can't see them letting him go though; he signed his RFA tender and thus they have him under contract at a cheap rate for this season. More likely he'll be transitioned away from the starting role and allowed to walk in FA next offseason.

All conjecture.

Moreover, going with your logic, the Bills decision is no worse than 31 other teams...

Its odds. name all the players that sat out a year of football over a contract dispute especially as a 7th round draft pick with no playing experience. Its not conjecture. Its statsically proven that players won't sit out a whole year of football based on contract issues.

I did say the rest of the suitors are just as dumb as well. Last line in my post. But publicly known that Rex went down to have a dinner to woo him. Dolphins in the news as well bringing down the former LSU guys.

But publicly known that Rex went down to have a dinner to woo him. Dolphins in the news as well bringing down the former LSU guys.

Yeah...I think that point has been mentioned a few times here.

BTW, Tom Cousineau says hello...

Edited by Lurker

Cowboys OL, now absurd.

If they put Collins at the other guard spot, that makes 4 of their 5 starters first-rounders (if you consider Collins a first rounder). And the 5th, Doug Free, is a damn fine lineman. Smith, Martin, Fredrick, Collins, Free - holy crap!

LMAO, you are joking right?

we are post counting now?

you count your posts while the rest of the world counts their dollars.

its hard not to look at your posts count.....its so....tiny

And of course......you are ignoring the fact that he said he WOULD GO BACK INTO THE DRAFT

But other then that......carry on

I'm very confused. I thought he couldn't sign until Saturday or have real visits? So how did he negotiate a contract?

I agree that the kid is free to make his own choice. But, was it a fair playing field?

Not really. He has a three year guaranteed deal, can take his time and ease into a starting role, and get the big payday down the road. It sucks, but I get it. I wonder if the Bills offered a fully guaranteed deal.

you would get a bigger payday starting from day 1, and blocking for a top 3 back (McCoy). He's an idiot. If he's playing I hope K. Williams destroys him.

Cowboys OL, now absurd.

If they put Collins at the other guard spot, that makes 4 of their 5 starters first-rounders (if you consider Collins a first rounder). And the 5th, Doug Free, is a damn fine lineman. Smith, Martin, Fredrick, Collins, Free - holy crap!

wonder if they would be opening to trading any of them. I wouldn't, but perhaps Doug Free want's to "be Free" to go elsewhere. The line is sick.

its hard not to look at your posts count.....its so....tiny

And of course......you are ignoring the fact that he said he WOULD GO BACK INTO THE DRAFT

But other then that......carry on

whoops then we shouldn't sign him. Obviously you have never negotiated anything. Collins or his agent are not talking from a position of power when a team drafts them. What is Collins gonna do during his holdout? Work at Walmart? He isn't get an endorsement deal anytime soon and maybe his agent will want to front him some money and is he really going in the first round in 2016? If that was the case, why did he sign for ONLY 1.6 mill over 3 years???? he could just sitout a whole year and get drafted in the 1st round next year and get a better salary. BUT NOPE he decided to sign for a small guaranteed salary.

TRY AGAIN. I know intelligence is tough to come by on the internet and especially in forums. maybe why I only have 10 posts....someone needs to be king of the donkeys and you are it.