5-6 WGR interview with Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If either Cassel (very likely) or Taylor (likely) can demonstrate that their a half-second faster on their reads and decision-making, EJ is toast. I like the guy, and I want him to succeed, but if Cassel/Taylor can see a streaking Goodwin and lay it on his hands or fit the ball in to a crossing Watkins, EJ is a third-string QB.

I'm wondering who is really going to make the call at QB, Rex or Roman. I know Rex clearly has final say. But I believe he would ultimately defer. Like if when they were making the decision, Rex said something like, "Tyrod has done everything we have asked, I have a great feeling about this kid." and then Roman said, "I think this offense and this team works better with Cassel because of A, B, and C" that Rex would think about it and say let's go with Cassel.

If he was blown away by Taylor who clearly outplayed Cassel then perhaps not. But I think he is going to let Roman run the offense.

I don't think whaley is overly invested in EJ. I think he's invested in winning. He wasn't the GM when he was drafted. He can always say he was Nix's pick if he doesn't work out. That said, I'm sure he hasn't given up on him at this point either. He was about a 3 yr project coming in imo and I think his fate will be decided at the end of the season.

Even if it was his pick, I see Whaley as a pretty pragmatic guy. They said they went though a sound process to select EJ out of the crowd and they were up front that each qb had problems, but they had that as a priority.

Whaley has admitted when things didn't work out and maybe that will happen in this case too if it doesn't.

Manuel has the physical potential to be a good even great qb and there is no reason not to take one last look before moving on.

I'm wondering who is really going to make the call at QB, Rex or Roman. I know Rex clearly has final say. But I believe he would ultimately defer. Like if when they were making the decision, Rex said something like, "Tyrod has done everything we have asked, I have a great feeling about this kid." and then Roman said, "I think this offense and this team works better with Cassel because of A, B, and C" that Rex would think about it and say let's go with Cassel.

If he was blown away by Taylor who clearly outplayed Cassel then perhaps not. But I think he is going to let Roman run the offense.

That's really where I am at.

Don't you get the feeling it should be a clear and obvious choice based on play?

As much as Taylor impresses during the flag football stint of camp, once pads and helmets go on, I suspect it will hinder his game more than the other two.

Don't you get the feeling it should be a clear and obvious choice based on play?

As much as Taylor impresses during the flag football stint of camp, once pads and helmets go on, I suspect it will hinder his game more than the other two.

I think it's going to be hard to choose.

Frankly, I hadn't thought of this until now, but considering this is a Rex Ryan coached defense, and how talented we are on that side of the ball, combined with how talented we are outside of quarterback, the real competition between Cassel, EJ and Taylor may well be how they perform in practice against our ones, stuff the fans will only see part of, rather than in the meaningless preseason games. So we could be surprised and have a lot of crazy arguments here when they announce it simply because we didn't see see that guy win the job, whomever it is.

I think it's going to be hard to choose.

Frankly, I hadn't thought of this until now, but considering this is a Rex Ryan coached defense, and how talented we are on that side of the ball, combined with how talented we are outside of quarterback, the real competition between Cassel, EJ and Taylor may well be how they perform in practice against our ones, stuff the fans will only see part of, rather than in the meaningless preseason games. So we could be surprised and have a lot of crazy arguments here when they announce it simply because we didn't see see that guy win the job, whomever it is.

I wonder what that looks like. :bag:

I personally think they're pretty sure Taylor is the guy, and Rex is trying his best to contain his excitement in front of the media until they can confirm that Taylor actually is whatever they think he is. But I think Taylor is the favorite and by a wider margin than the coaches would have us believe at this time.

Rex seems to REALLY trust Greg Roman. I don't know what his relationship was like with the OCs he had in NY or what he thought of them, but my impression here at least is that he respects Roman and the success he has had in the league, and would likely defer (if there was any disagreement) to his judgement on the QB/offense.

He also is probably scarred from Geno and is looking for a guy who will not turn the ball over multiple times per game and put the defense in horrible situations, if nothing else.

Edited by YoloinOhio

They have two movement QBs and a veteran pocket QB and a QB which is more suited to pocket QB without a lot of experience.

EJ | MC

---+---

TT | JT

It seems likely they are looking to mix and match QBs.

They want a running QB as primary QB with a pocket QB as backup. EJ has more experience and has first shots at 1A with TT as 2A; JT will go on PS until MC gets hurt (he has got hurt a number of seasons). If EJ fails (as defined by coaching staff) they will try TT as starting QB (or reverse if TT wins starting job in camp). JT is scout QB and is familiar w/playbook; perhaps if someone is cut they replace him but they have more need for practice squad QB to give reps to players in pipeline.

They have two movement QBs and a veteran pocket QB and a QB which is more suited to pocket QB without a lot of experience.

EJ | MC

---+---

TT | JT

It seems likely they are looking to mix and match QBs.

They want a running QB as primary QB with a pocket QB as backup. EJ has more experience and has first shots at 1A with TT as 2A; JT will go on PS until MC gets hurt (he has got hurt a number of seasons). If EJ fails (as defined by coaching staff) they will try TT as starting QB (or reverse if TT wins starting job in camp). JT is scout QB and is familiar w/playbook; perhaps if someone is cut they replace him but they have more need for practice squad QB to give reps to players in pipeline.

I don't think he's that familiar with Roman's playbook at this point

I personally think they're pretty sure Taylor is the guy, and Rex is trying his best to contain his excitement in front of the media until they can confirm that Taylor actually is whatever they think he is. But I think Taylor is the favorite and by a wider margin than the coaches would have us believe at this time.

I think you hit the nail on the head. They will never admit this but it is Taylor's job to lose. I honeslty think they got a better version of Kap with TT. Training camp should be interesting.

Rex tends to view offensive players through the lens of a defensive coach. That is in part why he likes guys like Watkins, Harvin, Taylor and Goodwin so much. They are really difficult to contain. You can't single Watkins and the other 3 have such explosive speed for their positions.

Honestly, how to you tell someone to cover Goodwin on a go route? The guy was an Olympian with sub 4.3 speed all day and he separates when the ball is in the air. He may never stay healthy but you really can't cover him over the top without help. It is impossible. That is intriguing to Rex.

This is exactly what I've been thinking throughout the player agent acquisition phase of the offseason. Do not forget the crowing jewel was Clay, ensuring there is no defense capable of matching up man for man when everyone is healthy and on the field. Rex aimed to stockpile the players he knows the defense has to account for on every play. He knows full well this offense will take more sleep away from opposing defensive coordinators than any other offense in the league.

Man C.Biscuit, u seem to be on my line of thinking here. I believe the talk of Tyrod from Rex is a "Jedi mind trick" to make ALL the QBs work hard. Rex has seen the capabilities of EJ from the games he coached against him. When has Rex seen Taylor do it when the "bullets are flying"? I believe this is Rex's way of getting them ALL to be the best they can be and compete at a high level

Possible. But if it is true he attempted to trade for Tyrod last season, it seems unlikely.

Roman has the very real opportunity this season to prove himself worthy of a head coaching position. I have to believe he joined the team with the understanding his opinions would be respected. I believe they will come to a consensus.

I get the same feeling and have so since early on. That doesn't mean I am hoping Tyrod comes out on top, but I believe he will. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Rex seems to REALLY trust Greg Roman. I don't know what his relationship was like with the OCs he had in NY or what he thought of them, but my impression here at least is that he respects Roman and the success he has had in the league, and would likely defer (if there was any disagreement) to his judgement on the QB/offense.

He also is probably scarred from Geno and is looking for a guy who will not turn the ball over multiple times per game and put the defense in horrible situations, if nothing else.

I totally agree on the turnover point. The worst thing a QB could do to sink this team is turnovers. I think that's where I have my biggest problem with the people who think Cassel is the "safe" choice. Since his last pro bowl season (a very good season) in KC 5 years ago, he has thrown 30 tds to 34 ints. EJ has a td to int ratio of 16 td to 12 ints, 4 of which he threw in one game. So more recently, EJ actually takes care of the ball better.

Taylor is a complete wildcard at this point. But a 57% passer in college is rough and might be tough to overcome. Time will tell.

It could be that Taylor will see the field as a play making, situational player, maybe a Brad Smith role but with a bigger trheat to throw.

I really wonder if thats an "option" . see what i did there?

But i honestly wonder if they would even attempt a situational QB. i have yet to see much success in the NFL with that ploy. But i might be wrong as i dont follow all the games. If the kid really can throw the ball its one hell of a threat though! and i like the thinking behind it.

Nobody knows what TT really has yet and that makes it pretty fun

Yup. It's also interesting that EJ had one of his best games against Ryan in terrible conditions his rookie year. After rebounding from a bad game in New Jersey.

Hopefully, this is a legit open competition, where it is slanted a bit towards the younger guys.

Thats a contradiction 97 !!!

Edited by 3rdand12

KtD i would like to hope so. It would be wise for sure