5-6 WGR interview with Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to summarize for those of us who can't listen?

he seems to feel the QB position is wide open. Talked about what he learned from sitting behind Joe Flacco. Explained why he chose Buffalo - family atmosphere, coaching staff and chance to play.

Anyone care to summarize for those of us who can't listen?

- Coaching Staff and Ownership has a family feeling

- Reps split evenly and everyone is just trying to show what they can do

- Baltimore used multiple fields to squeeze out more reps as well

- Says he learned a lot from Flacco and his approach to the game and running the team

- He's a QB that can run, not a running QB; Will do whatever it takes to move the chains

he seems to feel the QB position is wide open. Talked about what he learned from sitting behind Joe Flacco. Explained why he chose Buffalo - family atmosphere, coaching staff and chance to play.

I posted this a few weeks ago but I was at a birthday & member of the Bills was there & he said Rex loves Taylor. Said he wouldn't be surprised at all if he is the opening day starter. Everybody assumes it is going to be Cassel but I just think that they want a mobile QB for some of the stuff they want to do.

I posted this a few weeks ago but I was at a birthday & member of the Bills was there & he said Rex loves Taylor. Said he wouldn't be surprised at all if he is the opening day starter. Everybody assumes it is going to be Cassel but I just think that they want a mobile QB for some of the stuff they want to do.

All you have to do is listen to the clues Rex gives, but the media is too into their own narrative to hear.

All you have to do is listen to the clues Rex gives, but the media is too into their own narrative to hear.

Sal Capaccio said this morning that he gives Cassell the best chance (can't remember exact %), EJ 20% and TT the remainder (so less than 20). But then said that whenever he is at OBD and listening to what people are saying, his % for TT rises slightly higher.

Sal Capaccio said this morning that he gives Cassell the best chance (can't remember exact %), EJ 20% and TT the remainder (so less than 20). But then said that whenever he is at OBD and listening to what people are saying, his % for TT rises slightly higher.

Pete Schrager who is the Sr. NFL analyst for Fox Sports predicted TT would start and said that he has been all of the buzz out of Bills camp. He is the same guy that predicted the Cowboys to win 10 games last year when most had them at 6 or less.

I heard that as well, I think he gave Cassell 60%, but he did state "at this point and time in OTA's". he also said, all everyone on the Bills staff is talking about is TT....

Edited by ricojes

this is why I'm not surprised or disappointed that they didn't reach for a developmental QB in the draft. Anyone they could have taken wouldn't challenge for the job this year, they knew that, so they signed someone who could. Edited by YoloinOhio

this is why I'm not surprised or disappointed that they didn't reach for a developmental QB in the draft. Anyone they could have taken wouldn't challenge for the job this year, they knew that, so they signed someone who could.

I agree. It's kind of like you're remodeling your bathroom, refinishing your wood furniture, and painting a room in your house on top of working a full time job...you just don't have time for another project...

this is why I'm not surprised or disappointed that they didn't reach for a developmental QB in the draft. Anyone they could have taken wouldn't challenge for the job this year, they knew that, so they signed someone who could.

The Bills "drafted" a QB when they signed TT. Who has better odds of making it? A mid-round draft pick or a 4 year backup behind an established starter? Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Bills "drafted" a QB when they signed TT. Who has better odds of making it? A mid-round draft pick or a 4 year backup behind an established starter?

this is what Ive been trying to say in the Polian thread but I finally gave up lol

I really don't care about everyone's %. I just want them to play and show it. Personally, I just don't want Cassel to start. I know what he is and worst case scenario, you can go back to him. Personally, I think EJ is the best mix of the two and think he can do great under Roman. But all this talk is meaningless.

But please don't start Cassel. :)

At this point I am starting to think that TT may be the guy. I would say that Cassel is certainly the favorite right now in that he has the highest floor. He is probably locked in as at least the number 2 for the same reason. If forced to play for 4 weeks they will probably go with the guy that is the safest. I said it before I think that TT & EJ are battling for the right to be the guy that challenges Cassel. If they are on a level playing field I would think that they would go with the young guy.

At this point I am starting to think that TT may be the guy. I would say that Cassel is certainly the favorite right now in that he has the highest floor. He is probably locked in as at least the number 2 for the same reason. If forced to play for 4 weeks they will probably go with the guy that is the safest. I said it before I think that TT & EJ are battling for the right to be the guy that challenges Cassel. If they are on a level playing field I would think that they would go with the young guy.

Can't really argue with that. Personally, I think Cassel is the worst case scenario and they are hoping EJ/ Taylor step up. They have potential to make this a much more dangerous offense.

From the interview it sounded like these workouts are just them throwing from the pocket. It'll be interesting when they start live drills and the QB's can actually run too

I hope TT wins the job. He can run like the wind and in his introductory interview with John Murphy he kept stressing that he has spent the past four years behind Flacco perfecting his passing and planned on wowing the coaching staff with his arm.

So far, it sounds as if he's succeeding.

I hope TT wins the job. He can run like the wind and in his introductory interview with John Murphy he kept stressing that he has spent the past four years behind Flacco perfecting his passing and planned on wowing the coaching staff with his arm.

So far, it sounds as if he's succeeding.

Fyi, Taylor ran a 4.51 40 at the combine. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240 EJ ran a 4.65 40. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ej-manuel?id=2539228 EJ is 4" and 20 lbs heavier. I think EJ is the perfect combo of Cassel and Taylor.

The Bills "drafted" a QB when they signed TT. Who has better odds of making it? A mid-round draft pick or 66a 4 year backup behind an established starter?

One of the strongest attributes of Joe Flacco is that he starts 16 games every year. This means that Taylor is even more of a mystery as one can't really assess how much he may have improved during his 4 professional seasons. There's no meaningful gauge. Those upset that a 2015 QB draft choice was not used on a QB weren't paying attention. Whaley said that they wanted to address all the team needs in the FA period (missed on a tackle) so that they did not need to draft to fill galring needs.

I do not know why people choose to consider drafts isolated from other offseason acquisitons (Mel Kiper, Bill Polian and many Bills fans.) It's seems rather foolish to me.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I'm not really ready to declare anyone a winner or a favorite yet. They are throwing to receivers being guarded against air without a pass russ. Trent Edwards was the favorite doing the same thing. I know it generates clicks and fans want to know. Rex might like TT's intangibles but I hope he doesn't fall so in love with him that he completely overlooks the bad stuff.

For Bills fans, the dream scenario would be that both TT and EJ light it up in camp, while Cassel is solid.

Agree. Though in the scenario, who do you think wins the job? I think Whaley is very much invested in EJ, while Rex has feeling for TT.

I favor EJ than Taylor. But Taylor seems like a poor man's Mike Vick and I'm not sure if that can last in the NFL.

I'm not really ready to declare anyone a winner or a favorite yet. They are throwing to receivers being guarded against air without a pass russ. Trent Edwards was the favorite doing the same thing. I know it generates clicks and fans want to know. Rex might like TT's intangibles but I hope he doesn't fall so in love with him that he completely overlooks the bad stuff.

Let's face it, a lot rides on how smart Rex is. He hired a lot of his old coaches and had a lot of say in the draft and free agency.

Agree. Though in the scenario, who do you think wins the job? I think Whaley is very much invested in EJ, while Rex has feeling for TT.

I favor EJ than Taylor. But Taylor seems like a poor man's Mike Vick and I'm not sure if that can last in the NFL.

If EJ lights it up, regardless of how TT plays EJ gets first dibs at the job.

I don't think whaley is overly invested in EJ. I think he's invested in winning. He wasn't the GM when he was drafted. He can always say he was Nix's pick if he doesn't work out. That said, I'm sure he hasn't given up on him at this point either. He was about a 3 yr project coming in imo and I think his fate will be decided at the end of the season.

Let's face it, a lot rides on how smart Rex is. He hired a lot of his old coaches and had a lot of say in the draft and free agency.

While thats true, offensive success hasn't really followed Rex as a HC. He's a defensive guy. I'm hoping he listens to his coaches, namely Roman and doesn't just go with a guy that he likes because he likes him.

While thats true, offensive success hasn't really followed Rex as a HC. He's a defensive guy. I'm hoping he listens to his coaches, namely Roman and doesn't just go with a guy that he likes because he likes him.

Rex tends to view offensive players through the lens of a defensive coach. That is in part why he likes guys like Watkins, Harvin, Taylor and Goodwin so much. They are really difficult to contain. You can't single Watkins and the other 3 have such explosive speed for their positions.

Honestly, how to you tell someone to cover Goodwin on a go route? The guy was an Olympian with sub 4.3 speed all day and he separates when the ball is in the air. He may never stay healthy but you really can't cover him over the top without help. It is impossible. That is intriguing to Rex.

I don't! I think EJ will win the job come September.

I really don't care about everyone's %. I just want them to play and show it. Personally, I just don't want Cassel to start. I know what he is and worst case scenario, you can go back to him. Personally, I think EJ is the best mix of the two and think he can do great under Roman. But all this talk is meaningless.

But please don't start Cassel. :)

BINGO!!

Fyi, Taylor ran a 4.51 40 at the combine. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240 EJ ran a 4.65 40. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ej-manuel?id=2539228 EJ is 4" and 20 lbs heavier. I think EJ is the perfect combo of Cassel and Taylor.

BINGO AGAIN

Rex tends to view offensive players through the lens of a defensive coach. That is in part why he likes guys like Watkins, Harvin, Taylor and Goodwin so much. They are really difficult to contain. You can't single Watkins and the other 3 have such explosive speed for their positions.

Honestly, how to you tell someone to cover Goodwin on a go route? The guy was an Olympian with sub 4.3 speed all day and he separates when the ball is in the air. He may never stay healthy but you really can't cover him over the top without help. It is impossible. That is intriguing to Rex.

Yup. It's also interesting that EJ had one of his best games against Ryan in terrible conditions his rookie year. After rebounding from a bad game in New Jersey.

Hopefully, this is a legit open competition, where it is slanted a bit towards the younger guys.

Pete Schrager who is the Sr. NFL analyst for Fox Sports predicted TT would start and said that he has been all of the buzz out of Bills camp. He is the same guy that predicted the Cowboys to win 10 games last year when most had them at 6 or less.

He also had troubles remember the Ravens were from Baltimore...

Man C.Biscuit, u seem to be on my line of thinking here. I believe the talk of Tyrod from Rex is a "Jedi mind trick" to make ALL the QBs work hard. Rex has seen the capabilities of EJ from the games he coached against him. When has Rex seen Taylor do it when the "bullets are flying"? I believe this is Rex's way of getting them ALL to be the best they can be and compete at a high level

Correct. He can play. He tore it up against big time college competition and has 4 yrs behind a solid NFL QB. Sounds a lot like what some guy in GreenBay did. We shall see.