Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

Cardale had 3 very impressive throws yesterday. The quick post on the first drive vs Fuller (one of the best college DBs), the TD pass to Miller, and the dump off pass late in the game 30 yards down the field. All of them were exceptional plays. However, his first TD pass was not impressive at all, he just threw it up and the DB made a terrible play on a ball that could have easily been picked. The CB looked like Darby in the Steelers pre-season game on that throw. He under threw another WR later that had got about 3 or 4 yards separation on the deep ball, the CB was able to catch up and run over the WR for a PI call and his other throws were just OK. I'm sorry, but 9/18 is not an impressive performance at all, no matter how you slice it.

And pointing to his running stats? He's not going to be a running QB in the NFL. He's not NFL fast and he won't be able to try and run through guys like he does here. These stats shouldn't even be considered when looking at him as an NFL prospect.

He has tremendous arm strength and a great, quick release, but he has questionable decision making at times, his accuracy is over stated at times, and he still has a ways to go IMO.

Those are basically my thoughts as well. His footwork is pretty bad but it's probably because he never gets under center. He's raw and if he comes out this year some team will fall in love with his measurables.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cardale is even marginally close to as good as he looked last year, he is a top 5 pick in the next draft due to QB inflation.Obviously just a wild guess at this point but I would love Oakman from Baylor. He was a beast this past year.

I'm in.

For a longer term crystal ball, with the Bills on the upswing, 2016 and 2017 won't be the years to draft a QB given they will be picking at 32. Hopefully, they will have an off year after the Super Bowl wins, then be in position to select J. Rosen of UCLA in 2018....

For a longer term crystal ball, with the Bills on the upswing, 2016 and 2017 won't be the years to draft a QB given they will be picking at 32. Hopefully, they will have an off year after the Super Bowl wins, then be in position to select J. Rosen of UCLA in 2018....

Chosen Rosen!

Saw a comparison earlier between Cardale and Daunte Culpepper. I don't hate it.

That is who I have always said he reminded me off. I am thinking more of Big ben now. The way that guys just bounce off of him. We will see if it translates but there is a reason that scouts are excited about him. The throws he made on the first drive (including the drop) were really impressive. It was tough yesterday without 4 of their top 5 or 6 receivers.

Joe Schobert from Wisconsin looked awesome against Bama as a edge rusher/do-it-all type. Very fluid with enough power to get by. Senior who should be available around the 4-7th rounds

Watched most of Texas A&M v. Ariz St. Ricky Seals-Jones seems so overrated to me, he's huge for a WR but can't seem to catch anything that doesnt hit him in the chest, rounds his routes badly. Horrible hands.

Anyone see true freshman Lamar Jackson nearly lead Louisville to a comeback? Can tell he has a freshman brain but the talent! Was throwing bullets with some accuracy and had some big league speed, was almost like watching a Manziel with a better arm. Harvey-Clemons also had a very good showing, safety who will probably be 1st round. 6ft 5 safety sounds insane, but the guy had 2 interceptions and looked great in space with the urgency to come down on the run.

DJ Foster who switched from rb to WR this year showed some flashes when ASU could get him the ball. Tough fast and very quick feet. Will be a guy who could rise really high come draft time.

Myles Garrett will be a top 10 pick when he comes out. Reminds of Mario Williams.

Joe Schobert from Wisconsin looked awesome against Bama as a edge rusher/do-it-all type. Very fluid with enough power to get by. Senior who should be available around the 4-7th rounds

Schobert was probably the biggest impression maker in terms of seniors from the games I watched. Definitely one that I'll keep an eye on over the next few months.

Northwestern LB Anthony Walker was probably the biggest surprise overall. Only a RS Sophomore but his instincts are brilliant. Absolute ball magnet. Has decent size at 6' 1" 235lbs and reportedly ran the 40 in 4.49.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Truthfully though, you don't have to take a QB in the 1st round in order for said QB to be of a "Franchise" quality. Although, IF and that's one huge a*s IF, the BILLS were to pick at 32 (and they weren't trading up to do it), I'd be fine with any QB they take they believe is the long-term solution to the QB puzzle. Because, as we see now, that is the exact piece they are away from being an incredible team. And given how Whaley et. al. seem to be able to Draft fairly well in the mid-rounds, I think they continue to add good starting caliber players and depth. Not to mention, apparently the Pegula money tree is thriving and they're spending money in FA, which is very refreshing....not just spending money, spending it correctly (or, so it appears). Keep in mind, players like Montana, Brees, Russel Wilson, Kaep (although he's regressed a bit), Tony Romo, and others were taken in Rounds 2 to 3....and Minnesota moved up to Draft Bridgewater at the end of the 1st round, which right now looks brilliant. I really, really want the BILLS to Draft a QB in 2016 in either 1st or 2nd round in a drafted being touted as quite deep at the QB position.

No Connor Cook in 1st rd. Barbarian is gonna have to change his signature

i think he looks good tonight. I don't know why he wouldn't be a franchise type QB like that FO executive said. But what do I know. I think the knock on him is whether he has NFL arm strength. The pro style offense he runs is a big time plus though. He has great touch on his throws IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

I really want C Cook but will be happy with C Jones. Either way, we will need to trade up.

What ever it takes.

Hopefully Washington drafts Jones.

I'd take that too, just put a few key members on IR and we can tank for Rosen (if he is still good by then)

Ruh roh

@NFL_CFB: AFC college scouting director: #Spartans' Connor Cook "not a franchise-type quarterback." http://t.co/5FG2eud1c1http://t.co/2Q59xIqur7

"He has excellent height, weight, he's athletic with good arm strength," the director told Breer. "But he struggles to read defenses and his football instincts are average. He has NFL starting ability, but he's not a franchise-type quarterback."

:lol::lol: :lol: yeah that's why he can go through his progressions and comes up big on third down, probably the same guy who thought Tannehill "lacked instincts". Keep talking him down buddy it will be better for us.

No Connor Cook in 1st rd. Barbarian is gonna have to change his signature

I hope he drops like Aaron Rodgers did and then we can snatch him up and have our own Aaron Rodgers

i think he looks good tonight. I don't know why he wouldn't be a franchise type QB like that FO executive said. But what do I know. I think the knock on him is whether he has NFL arm strength. The pro style offense he runs is a big time plus though. He has great touch on his throws IMO. THIS

He has a NFL arm, scouts are delusional

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I'll tell you won't be: Christian Hackenberg. Who just might be a mid-late round prospect? Joe Licata.

I am so torn on this kid. I have been signing his praises for years, but I am starting to wonder. I still think he has the talent to be a franchise NFL QB. But he is getting SMOKED. I mean when this happens on a consistent basis: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/5/9267073/temple-penn-state-sackhow are you supposed to be able to judge the QB? He got sacked 10 times vs temple. Maybe 2 of them were his fault. But he is playing so flustered because of the OL, that its hard to determine whether or not he could put it all together if he was playing behind a semi-competent line.

His reads seem off. He is rushing throws, the running game has been abysmal. How much of that is him, and how much of that is systematic...I dont know. And I have no idea what is going on in his head after enduring this type of awful situation for the last 14 games. Thats probably my biggest concern. When he gets to the next level, can he put that all behind him, or is he eternally scarred by being sacked 52 times in the last 15 games (Those are Drew Bledsoe 2002 numbers!)

Me, personally, if I am whaley, I look at him at the end of the first round, and if he is there in the second I grab him in an instant (assuming the Tyrod experiment goes as I think it will). But there is a lot of football left.

My god. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/5/9267073/temple-penn-state-sack. That is just pathetic!

I agree at this point I dont see him as a 1st rounder anymore, which is potentially great news for someone.