Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

I really like Connor Cook. Browns fans want to "Fail for Cardale" already but in my opinion he needs to go somewhere where he isn't needed to start right away, and that won't probably be here. He has a ton of talent but he isn;t ready to start in the NFL. I know there is a long way to go but I was at the Buckeye game yesterday and though they had a short week he seemed confused at the defenses he saw. He also rarely takes a snap behind center. I know that can be taught, Mariota never did either.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not a guy on many radars (not currently on the CBS top 1000 prospects list) but I was watching USF DT James Hamilton yesterday. He was going up against FSU LG Kareem Are quite a bit. Either the hype that Are is getting thus far isn't deserved or Hamilton is a guy that should be getting a lot more attention.

Pretty stout inside vs the run, got into the backfield on a number of occasions but lacks the athletic ability to finish the plays. If the Bills are looking for versatile DL on the cheap, Hamilton might be worth a close look.

I am so torn on this kid. I have been signing his praises for years, but I am starting to wonder. I still think he has the talent to be a franchise NFL QB. But he is getting SMOKED. I mean when this happens on a consistent basis: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/5/9267073/temple-penn-state-sackhow are you supposed to be able to judge the QB? He got sacked 10 times vs temple. Maybe 2 of them were his fault. But he is playing so flustered because of the OL, that its hard to determine whether or not he could put it all together if he was playing behind a semi-competent line.

His reads seem off. He is rushing throws, the running game has been abysmal. How much of that is him, and how much of that is systematic...I dont know. And I have no idea what is going on in his head after enduring this type of awful situation for the last 14 games. Thats probably my biggest concern. When he gets to the next level, can he put that all behind him, or is he eternally scarred by being sacked 52 times in the last 15 games (Those are Drew Bledsoe 2002 numbers!)

Me, personally, if I am whaley, I look at him at the end of the first round, and if he is there in the second I grab him in an instant (assuming the Tyrod experiment goes as I think it will). But there is a lot of football left.

My god. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/9/5/9267073/temple-penn-state-sack. That is just pathetic!

I agree at this point I dont see him as a 1st rounder anymore, which is potentially great news for someone.

I started a tread about this on the college football forum, Hack needs to be in a pro style offense not this spread crap

Brandon Doughty western Kentucky QB will be a first round draft pick

Big fan, he is super underrated but can play I the NFL.

I really like Connor Cook. Browns fans want to "Fail for Cardale" already but in my opinion he needs to go somewhere where he isn't needed to start right away, and that won't probably be here. He has a ton of talent but he isn;t ready to start in the NFL. I know there is a long way to go but I was at the Buckeye game yesterday and though they had a short week he seemed confused at the defenses he saw. He also rarely takes a snap behind center. I know that can be taught, Mariota never did either.

CARDALR HAS sO much physical ability but I haven't been happy with his play this year. Cook is like Schaub (in a good way).

So I didn't get a chance to watch the Ohio State game this year but looking at the stats Cardale's numbers look pretty pedestrian to say the least against a team like Hawaii (sweet retro uni's by the way). What is the story, how did he look?

On a side note, Kessler went 26 of 31 for 410 and 3 TDs. Now those are numbers you are supposed to throw up against bad teams. He is in for a big season. Its looking like for the first time in a long time that USC UCLA game may actually mean something for both teams. Would be nice to get that rivalry rolling good again.

So I didn't get a chance to watch the Ohio State game this year but looking at the stats Cardale's numbers look pretty pedestrian to say the least against a team like Hawaii (sweet retro uni's by the way). What is the story, how did he look?

On a side note, Kessler went 26 of 31 for 410 and 3 TDs. Now those are numbers you are supposed to throw up against bad teams. He is in for a big season. Its looking like for the first time in a long time that USC UCLA game may actually mean something for both teams. Would be nice to get that rivalry rolling good again.

Cardale didn't have a good game. The story is they played 2 games in 5.5 days. Not an excuse, but the whole offense (especially the OL) looked tired and not sharp. No one was blocking. Barrett didn't look any better. Edited by YoloinOhio

Cardale didn't have a good game. The story is they played 2 games in 5.5 days. Not an excuse, but the whole offense (especially the OL) looked tired and not sharp. No one was blocking. Barrett didn't look any better.

It took Alabama a couple weeks to recover too, they still ended up doing fine that year :)

Just curious, where are all those posters calling me out for saying Jones is overrated now? He looks terrible...again...today, pulled in the first half vs a MAC team. I'm sure you won't admit you may have jumped the gun on him and that maybe, just maybe, I may have actually been correct on my opinions on his play last year. No, you'll just probably stick to your guns and point to one or two great throws all season and just brush off the rest of his performances. It's all good now, we got Tyrod and don't even need him anyway!

Edited by Mark80

Just curious, where are all those posters calling me out for saying Jones is overrated now? He looks terrible...again...today, pulled in the first half vs a MAC team. I'm sure you won't admit you may have jumped the gun on him and that maybe, just maybe, I may have actually been correct on my opinions on his play last year. No, you'll just probably stick to your guns and point to one or two great throws all season and just brush off the rest of his performances.

There is a difference between "will he be drafted in the 1st" and "will he be a star?" I'd be surprised if he weren't drafted in the 1st (at worst 2nd). You can't teach that skill set. Scouts have fallen in love with his tools.

Will he be great? Who knows, but he will go early. He has a very, very high ceiling but has a pretty low floor as well.

There is a difference between "will he be drafted in the 1st" and "will he be a star?" I'd be surprised if he weren't drafted in the 1st (at worst 2nd). You can't teach that skill set. Scouts have fallen in love with his tools.

Will he be great? Who knows, but he will go early. He has a very, very high ceiling but has a pretty low floor as well.

I'm going to keep my thoughts on this in this thread going forward...Are you sure? Don't you think they remember rocket arms like Russell? There has to be more there. There are plenty of guys with big arms that don't do squat in the NFL because it is about so much more than that. In fact, most of the best QBs of all time are never really considered to be the ones with the strongest arms except for Elway, Moon, Big Ben off the top of my head. It's more about decision making and accuracy in IMO than just having truly elite arm strength. Brady, Manning, Young, Montana, Bradshaw, were never considered to be the strongest armed guys, but that had the other traits to make them great.

Edited by Mark80

I'm going to keep my thoughts on this in this thread going forward...Are you sure? Don't you think they remember rocket arms like Russell? There has to be more there. There are plenty of guys with big arms that don't do squat in the NFL because it is about so much more than that. In fact, most of the best QBs of all time are never really considered to be the ones with the strongest arms except for Elway, Moon, Big Ben off the top of my head. It's more about decision making and accuracy in IMO than just having truly elite arm strength. Brady, Manning, Young, Montana, Bradshaw, were never considered to be the strongest armed guys, but that had the other traits to make them great.

Yes and Russell went 1st overall. That's my point. Whether or not he will be good is different than whether or not he will be drafted early.

FWIW, the scouts that I know are really, really high on him.

we will be trading up for Connor Cook.

so you like corners

You have been touting Connor Cook for quite a whlle. I have seen him in a few games and have come to the same conclusion as you have. In my view he is not the type of qb who is going to sparkle with a quantity of throws all over the field. That is not the type of offense he runs in college or will run in the pro ranks. What impresses me the most is his mature, pro ready game. He makes all the throws and he has excellent pocket presence. He has a command of the offense and a feel for the game that can't be taught.

I have high expectations for Tyrod, maybe too much wishful thinking. I'm hoping that as this season unfolds it will be apparent that the Bills qb situation is secured and that we use our top pick on a very good OL prospect.

You have a history of promoting exotic qb prospects. You are getting much better in the scouting department. :thumbsup: