RD 3, Pick 81: OG John Miller, Louisville

SDS

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@viccarucci: Doug Whaley says Miller is the type of OG that Rex Ryan and OC Greg Roman want: "Tough, aggressive maulers that bring attitude."

At 6'2" 303 he might be the smallest OL on the roster. He better be tough...

If they were fielding calls to trade back I wish they did. Miller is kinda on the smallish side but is strong if he gets his hands on you. However, needs a lot of technique work gets beat a lot. I don't see him starting on opening day. I wish we went tackle instead someone you could move inside if needed. Miller is a strictly a guard and is an ok pick but TJ Clemmings provided better value with 1st round ability.

And that's why Clemmings hasn't been picked yet by any of the 32 teams, right?

@JaySkurski: Miller: "Being able to move guys from point A to point B is what I love to do." ... Goes on to say he expects to compete for a starting job.

@viccarucci: Third-round pick John Miller calls being selected by #Bills and having a chance to compete for starting OG job is a "dream come true."

From ESPN:

What he brings: Miller has the frame, length and toughness to provide depth, but he may never develop into a quality starter at the NFL level. While he's tough to shed when he gets his hands inside and locks on, his initial hand placement is highly inconsistent both as a run-blocker and in pass protection. His inconsistencies adjusting to line stunts in pass protection and locating assignments as a run-blocker are also concerning, especially considering that he was a four-year starter at Louisville.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That scouting video has me pretty excited. They've brought in huge guys that struggle to bend their knees and end up lunging and missing guys. Miller apparently does a good job of bending his knees, getting low, and generating power with his hips. From the clip he looks pretty quick and gets on his blocks well. Maybe not right away, but with some strength training and practice, it sounds like he could be a very good lineman.

And that's why Clemmings hasn't been picked yet by any of the 32 teams, right?

Teams were scared off by the stress fracture apparently but it is not like a career ending injury. Probably headed for surgery but I would still make that pick as OT will become even a bigger need if Glenn walks in FA.

There were a few very decent OL left here so they obviously liked him. I'm all in favor of this. You never know when these guys will go but I'm very glad we got a OG who is tough.

This reminds me of the EJ and Kiko draft. If we would have taken Kiko first and EJ second, people would not have bitched so much. Same here. If we would have taken a OG first like Miller, and then Darby second, people wouldn't have bitched so much. Including me.

Very glad we didn't draft Petty or a QB.

I'm gonna go ahead and laugh

From ESPN:

What he brings: Miller has the frame, length and toughness to provide depth, but he may never develop into a quality starter at the NFL level. While he's tough to shed when he gets his hands inside and locks on, his initial hand placement is highly inconsistent both as a run-blocker and in pass protection. His inconsistencies adjusting to line stunts in pass protection and locating assignments as a run-blocker are also concerning, especially considering that he was a four-year starter at Louisville.

In that report his shortcomings seem to be the coachable type... and I'm a huge kromer fan.....