What moment started it all?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment Nix was named GM?

Has Rod Serling returned to life and brought Vincent Price back with him on a special edition of the Twilight Zone? Nix's teams went 16-32 followed by a 6-10. His refusal to find a QB is what's put the Bills where they are today at the position.

If anything, the turnaround probably started when the Pegula's took over from Littmann and Brandon, followed by Rex's hire.

I'm not surprised by your take but I strongly disagree. Littman still plays a crucial role as the capologist, and Brandon did a fantastic job of righting the ship. This thing began to turn around when a legitimate "football man" like Nix starting picking players, was able to get guys like Merriman and Mario to buy in, and then really made the turn when Ralph finally turned things over to Brandon. The Pegulas are the icing on the cake that will now solidify the turnaround and complete the Bills' rise back to prominence.

Edit: obvious goof here; Overdorf is the capologist, not Littman.

Edited by eball

I'm not surprised by your take but I strongly disagree. Littman still plays a crucial role as the capologist, and Brandon did a fantastic job of righting the ship. This thing began to turn around when a legitimate "football man" like Nix starting picking players, was able to get guys like Merriman and Mario to buy in, and then really made the turn when Ralph finally turned things over to Brandon. The Pegulas are the icing on the cake that will now solidify the turnaround and complete the Bills' rise back to prominence.

Littmann as the capologist? Wasn't that Overdorf's responsibility or are you saying that Littmann's presence made him the de facto capologist?

I'm not clear by the term "legitimate" when you reference Nix. Had he been a scout previously unlike his predecessor who went from ticket seller to marketing lead? Sure. But Nix didn't devise an overall strategy to rebuilding a football team as evidenced by where the team was in 2013. He badly miscalculated on the QB position, switched to a defense he spent several high picks and UFA dollars to build which (and people can blame the coaching here as well) was not very good by the end of 2012. This despite the resources devoted on that side of the ball. The Bills are still looking for a QB!

Nix is also the same guy who chose to begin a major rebuild by taking a RB with his first draft pick. If this was 1973, sure I can see that mind-set.

And I'm LMAO with this Merriman attracting other key free agents. Players want to 1) get paid and 2) win, usually in that order. Merriman didn't open up the checkbook and he surely didn't help the team win. This false narrative has been manufactured out of nothing.

The Pegula's purchasing the team has prompted much needed change. Finally. But Buddy Nix was 20 years behind the curve. You don't have a team go 22-42 and say someone was successful. You can't justify it.

I get that fans will never criticize their team or the people running it, but being a fan sometimes conflicts with objectivity.

Edited by BillsVet

The signing of Mario was the first big FA landing since I believe Bryce Paup (could be missing someone). It signaled the end of signing guys from the D list while overpaying. Assuming we do start winning, that's my turning point.

I think it was the moment Ralph surrendered his duties to Russ Brandon. While he wanted to win, clearly Ralph influenced certain decisions that held the organization back. Brandon took control and while the first HC hire he supervised (Marrone) didn't work out, the entire organization was refocused.

This, and IMO it ain't even close.

This organization's credibility increased by a 10 factor that day.

Littmann as the capologist? Wasn't that Overdorf's responsibility or are you saying that Littmann's presence made him the de facto capologist?

I'm not clear by the term "legitimate" when you reference Nix. Had he been a scout previously unlike his predecessor who went from ticket seller to marketing lead? Sure. But Nix didn't devise an overall strategy to rebuilding a football team as evidenced by where the team was in 2013. He badly miscalculated on the QB position, switched to a defense he spent several high picks and UFA dollars to build which (and people can blame the coaching here as well) was not very good by the end of 2012. This despite the resources devoted on that side of the ball. The Bills are still looking for a QB!

Nix is also the same guy who chose to begin a major rebuild by taking a RB with his first draft pick. If this was 1973, sure I can see that mind-set.

And I'm LMAO with this Merriman attracting other key free agents. Players want to 1) get paid and 2) win, usually in that order. Merriman didn't open up the checkbook and he surely didn't help the team win. This false narrative has been manufactured out of nothing.

The Pegula's purchasing the team has prompted much needed change. Finally. But Buddy Nix was 20 years behind the curve. You don't have a team go 22-42 and say someone was successful. You can't justify it.

I get that fans will never criticize their team or the people running it, but being a fan sometimes conflicts with objectivity.

I confused Overdorf with Littman...my bad. Otherwise, I simply don't agree with you.

Buddy Nix turned this franchise around by stockpiling talent through the draft over several years. When he took over the Bills had a lack of young talent at just about every key position. He got back to basics and built a football team from the ground up as he promised. The upward trend the Bills are on over the last year or two has been fueled by his draft picks and signings. He planted the seeds of future success.

Nothing against Whaley, Rex or the Pegulas because they are set to take this team toward success but they are harvesting the fruits of Buddy's labor. It's key they continue to draft well to maintain success in the future.

I go with the day Brandon took over. That really was the seminal moment that got the ball rolling which has got us here to this point, which I believe is the core thesis of the OP's thread. All dots can eventually be connected to that. And a Huzzah! to Hokie13 for his astute observation.

IMO, that Moment hasn't arrived yet. Our 9-7 record last year was a reverse mirage of the previous years where we routinely snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Were it not for being the undefeated 'champs' of the NFC North, we'd have sucked like every other year this century.

Now, can/will that 'moment' arrive this season? Ans: if we're 2-0, THATS the Moment!

The guy was a below average GM who should've never been a GM to begin with. He was over his head at the position.

The Pegula's taking over the team has solidified what appears to be a turn around. This is the most talented team we've had since 2003/2004. Hopefully the most crucial important in the sport doesn't screw them over this year.(QB) I think they are set up for at least a 9-7 to 11-5 type of year. Anything less is an extreme disappointment.

And to the bold. This is only true for some fan bases including Buffalo fans which I respect but can get a little frustrated with especially when the organization deserves it but they are in denial.(See the last 15 years) Living in Down state New York I can tell you they are the complete opposite.

With you on this, espcially comments on Nix. I hope a contanian opinion of Nix is not considered derailing this thread? And that honest opinions are valued at some level above the ever populsr " troll" label in these parts.

With you on this, espcially comments on Nix. I hope a contanian opinion of Nix is not considered derailing this thread? And that honest opinions are valued at some level above the ever populsr " troll" label in these parts.

Making this only about Nix is derailing the thread. Instead, why dont you offer your answer to the original question?

If the Bills keep improving their win totals and become relevant consistently, what will have been the moment that turned it all around.

As I think about this from time to time, I have to say it's the signing of Mario Williams. His signing here broke the string of players not wanting to sign here. His play allowed the line to see more single teams and get better. And their play allowed the rest of the D to step up.

I don't know if it will all pan out, but if it does...It started there.

Signing Mario and/or drafting Dareus.

I like the Russ Brandon chatter here because there was a 'change' in mentality (at least from the outside looking in). I'm going to have to go with Buddy though. He, and subsequently Whaley, have improved our roster by light years from when they took over. The results aren't there yet but it's fairly difficult to look at our players top to bottom and not recognize they have collected a lot of elite talent.

Having said that, I think Doug Whaley is a superstar for the next quarter of a century. That alone makes Nix a 'genius' in my eyes.

Oh...and that Pegula guy is pretty cool too.

I did I agreed with ScottLaw's comments and added that i do not agree that Nix started a turnaround.

Fair enough. My only point of contention there is that we still have not seen a Pegula team on the field. They inherited last year's team when it was already set. We sure look like we should be better this year, but right now you are basing a "turn around" on a team that hasnt even played a game yet, and already had a winning record last year. And considering most of the players on this team were here before the Pegulas, I still dont understand how the foundation to any success wasnt started before them. But, youre entitled to your opinion.

Edited by DrDareustein

Fair enough. My only point of contention there is that we still have not seen a Pegula team on the field. They inherited last year's team when it was already set. We sure look like we should be better this year, but right now you are basing a "turn around" on a team that hasnt even played a game yet. And considering most of the players on this team were here before the Pegulas, I still dont understand how the foundation to any success wasnt started before them. But, youre entitled to your opinion.

The foundation to any success was started before the Pegulas. In fact even before Nix. No need to name the players here when Nix took over, We all know the names. Some Are still'here yet. Nix took a perrenial 7-9 team to a perrenial 6-10 team.Took a back up QB elevated him to a starter, refused to have any competition, etc. Look I have nothing personal against the guy. he in all likelihood was the only guy out there that would even comsider the job when Ralph Hired him?

Thanks For letting me have an opinion! I understand your love of Nix by reading your posts in this thread in particular. You're entitled to that i just happen to disagree.