What moment started it all?

If the Bills keep improving their win totals and become relevant consistently, what will have been the moment that turned it all around.

As I think about this from time to time, I have to say it's the signing of Mario Williams. His signing here broke the string of players not wanting to sign here. His play allowed the line to see more single teams and get better. And their play allowed the rest of the D to step up.

I don't know if it will all pan out, but if it does...It started there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The signing of Merriman. He started helping recruit other FAs, and it all lead to Mario.

If you want to get real technical, it could be the hiring of Nix which brought Whaley in.

Yeah, I'd go with that.

I have to agree it was signing Mario. Feels like yesterday I spent days checking this board & the Bills official site every 5 minutes for updates, hoping he didn't leave town yet. That was the catalyst that started the change in perception of our team around the league.

I have to agree it was signing Mario. Feels like yesterday I spent days checking this board & the Bills official site every 5 minutes for updates, hoping he didn't leave town yet. That was the catalyst that started the change in perception of our team around the league.

That was one of the craziest 24 hours I can remember as a fan. Never have I payed so close attention to someone's travel plans

I think it was the moment Ralph surrendered his duties to Russ Brandon. While he wanted to win, clearly Ralph influenced certain decisions that held the organization back. Brandon took control and while the first HC hire he supervised (Marrone) didn't work out, the entire organization was refocused.

The first three rounds of the 2011 draft. Credit to Nix (all scouts involved).

Mr. Big Stuff

A a ron

Kelvin Shepherd.

Dareus played really well as a rookie and made it more appealing for Mario to come here because with Kyle and Marcell, he couldn't be doubled every play. Aaron has started to become a really good safety and the new heart of the team when Freddy goes. Plus, he's a Williams. Double bonus. Kelvin Shepherd morphed into Jerry Hughes.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Pegula's for sure. Had tears in my eyes. Mario very close second. Look who we picked up this year and the Pegula's were there for every one of them. Not many owners get involved like that. Means a lot to be wanted especially by the owner and his wife to most players. Hope Darius feels the same way if he has grown up.

I think it was the moment Ralph surrendered his duties to Russ Brandon. While he wanted to win, clearly Ralph influenced certain decisions that held the organization back. Brandon took control and while the first HC hire he supervised (Marrone) didn't work out, the entire organization was refocused.

That's a very good one too :thumbsup:

Pegula's for sure. Had tears in my eyes. Mario very close second. Look who we picked up this year and the Pegula's were there for every one of them. Not many owners get involved like that. Means a lot to be wanted especially by the owner and his wife to most players. Hope Darius feels the same way if he has grown up.

DarEus is very close with the Pegulas already and Im sure will be made to feel very welcome here.

The moment Nix was named GM?

Has Rod Serling returned to life and brought Vincent Price back with him on a special edition of the Twilight Zone? Nix's teams went 16-32 followed by a 6-10. His refusal to find a QB is what's put the Bills where they are today at the position.

If anything, the turnaround probably started when the Pegula's took over from Littmann and Brandon, followed by Rex's hire.

Pegula's becoming the new owners

CBF

Obviously this. Mario or Nix? Wtf? We were still a bad team. Things didn't change until the Pegula's took over. Now we are a legit franchise and they were able to get a legit coach and sign legit free agents

Obviously this. Mario or Nix? Wtf? We were still a bad team. Things didn't change until the Pegula's took over. Now we are a legit franchise and they were able to get a legit coach and sign legit free agents

So if the Pegula's took the Bills over without all of the good/great players the Nix and Whaley regimes have brought in, you think the Bills would still have a chance at being as good as we think they will?

We havent even had a complete season under their ownership yet, and the team that just went to our first winning record in a decade was already put together before they took over.

As I said, the Pegulas look like they are going to get us over the hump to the next level, but the turn-around from being a horrible team started a few years ago.

So if the Pegula's took the Bills over without all of the good/great players the Nix and Whaley regimes have brought in, you think the Bills would still have a chance at being as good as we think they will?

Exactly. Our entire Top 5 Defense which this franchise is depending on was here before the Pegulas.

Agreed. We never had that kind of autonomy before. And even though there were budgetary constraints, there was unprecedented free reign for the football operations side of the house.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9