Bring Back Spikes--edit signed with ne***

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more simple. When did Rex say it was a 3-4. I remember him saying they were going to run whatever scheme best suited our defense. We havent been a 3-4 since Edwards and that was a tire fire. We will not be a 3-4 under Rex. In a nutshell that is what I have understood.

He said they'd be multiple. You're probably looking at something like this:

30 front

Kyle-S. Charles-Dareus

Mario-Bradham-Brown-Hughes

40 front

Mario-Kyle-Dareus-Hughes

Lawson-Brown-Bradham

He said they'd be multiple. You're probably looking at something like this:

30 front

Kyle-S. Charles-Dareus

Mario-Bradham-Brown-Hughes

40 front

Mario-Kyle-Dareus-Hughes

Lawson-Brown-Bradham

You jusy made my point. People wanting to label this d a 3-4 when its not. I bet a lot of people dont even understand the difference between a 30 and a 3-4 or a 40 and a 4-3

You jusy made my point. People wanting to label this d a 3-4 when its not. I bet a lot of people dont even understand the difference between a 30 and a 3-4 or a 40 and a 4-3

I admittedly don't. I see a 30 as a form of 3-4, and a 40 as a form of 4-3. Or is this a 40 plays different gaps than a "standard" 4-3, thing?

In my mind, our "base" defense is:

Mario - Kyle - Dareus - Hughes

Bradham - Brown

Gilmore - Aaron Williams - Graham - McKelvin - (one of Darby / Duke / Robey / Cockrell )

I'd love to have Spikes back for the right price and right role, he'll really help on goal line and if we run into a power heavy run team.

I don't think it means anything necessarily one way or the other. However, the skeptic in me sees all different angles.

Brown really looked up to Spikes last year to help him. He said in an interview he always kind of idolized him because his coach at Louisville, Charlie Strong, was Spikes DC at Florida and used to talk about Spikes all the time. He was legend to Brown. So when Brown got to Buffalo, he used to study film with Spikes and talk to him all the time about the ILB position and felt a connection because of Charlie Strong who they both love.

Hmmmm

@SalSports: The Bills are only at 89 players after NOT signing Illinois State OT Jermaine Barton. There's a 90-man limit. 1 spot now open.

And #51 is still available on the roster...seems like they would have assigned this number if Spikes was totally out of the picture.

Brandon Spikes was the #8 rated ILB against the run last year, the same year our run defense was much improved. It's baffling why they haven't brought him back, it's not like signing him would hurt their chance at a compensatory pick, which is a stupid idea anyways. (He's going to help more than a 6th round pick next year.)

I would think he's the kind of player that Rex would love to have on his defense.

He recently tweeted, "Heart in one place, mind in another," right after he visited New England...he wants to be in Buffalo, but money might be available back in New England.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale