Draft Rewind: 2013 (Yuck)

symbiant

All in all, trading down to get EJ and picking up Kiko => McCoy seems like a huge win when you look at how bad this draft class was. Probably one of the worse that I can remember.

It is still a little early, and time will tell. But man... compare this draft to 2011... yikes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

Edited by symbiant

All in all, trading down to get EJ and picking up Kiko => McCoy seems like a huge win when you look at how bad this draft class was. Probably one of the worse that I can remember.

It is still a little early, and time will tell. But man... compare this draft to 2011... yikes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

To be fair, the 2011 draft may be one of the greatest of all time:

JJ Watt, Richard Sherman, Tyron Smith, Cam Newton, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith, Patrick Peterson, Justin Houston, Robert Quinn, DeMarco Murray, Mike Pouncey, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan, Randall Cobb, Julius Thomas... absurd.

Even Aaron Williams was that year.

I think last year's will end up being considered a very good class too. I can't remember many years where so many of the first round players made a serious impact on their football teams in year 1 and there are plenty of guys lower down (Carr, Jordan Matthews, Davonte Adams, Joel Bitonio, Jeremy Hill, Timmy Jenigan, Jarvis Landry, our own Preston Brown, Gabe Jackson, John Brown, Terrance West, Mettenberger.... I'm sure there are others) who contributed as well.

I think last year's will end up being considered a very good class too. I can't remember many years where so many of the first round players made a serious impact on their football teams in year 1 and there are plenty of guys lower down (Carr, Jordan Matthews, Davonte Adams, Joel Bitonio, Jeremy Hill, Timmy Jenigan, Jarvis Landry, our own Preston Brown, Gabe Jackson, John Brown, Terrance West, Mettenberger.... I'm sure there are others) who contributed as well.

Odell Beckham Jr, aka the best athlete on the planet, aka future hall of famer, aka the guy we decided was so bad that we gave up our 1st this year to move up to take a different WR instead of drafting him. OOPS!

Odell Beckham Jr, aka the best athlete on the planet, aka future hall of famer, aka the guy we decided was so bad that we gave up our 1st this year to move up to take a different WR instead of drafting him. OOPS!

Until you can quote your own posts (from before the 2014 draft) which state all of those things about OBJ you should give it a rest. Seriously, the hindsight draft expert act is growing tiresome and stupid.

Just one fan's opinion.

Pretty much every team (including I believe the Giants) have confirmed Watkins was higher on their board. It is easy to look with hindsight and say OBJ looks as good or even better and therefore the Bills shouldn't have given up a pick. The fact is if Watkins ends up having a HoF career for the Bills who went behind him is irrelevant. You get the chance to draft a sure fire guy and you give something up to take him that is ok in my mind.

Until you can quote your own posts (from before the 2014 draft) which state all of those things about OBJ you should give it a rest. Seriously, the hindsight draft expert act is growing tiresome and stupid.

Just one fan's opinion.

this guy warms up by catching every pass with 1 hand. our scouts saw that. we did not have access to that kind of info. if we saw him doing that we would have been begging to draft him. unfortunately, until Watkins has a break out year then this kind of topic is going to come up again and again over the next 10-15 yrs so might as well get used to it

this guy warms up by catching every pass with 1 hand. our scouts saw that. we did not have access to that kind of info. if we saw him doing that we would have been begging to draft him. unfortunately, until Watkins has a break out year then this kind of topic is going to come up again and again over the next 10-15 yrs so might as well get used to it

So what type of season does Sammy need to produce to help to mute this idiocy?

Anyone who watched all the games last year saw an ELITE receiver on a team with horrendous QB's. If you (and others) didn't notice that, I don't know what can be done to save your poor Bills fan soul.

How about Fluker at RT? I would take him in a heart beat.

Yes, you are right.

So what type of season does Sammy need to produce to help to mute this idiocy?

Anyone who watched all the games last year saw an ELITE receiver on a team with horrendous QB's. If you (and others) didn't notice that, I don't know what can be done to save your poor Bills fan soul.

Sammy can never live up to that trade. Not when guys like Beckham Jr and Kelvin Benjamin among others have great careers. It was the deepest WR class ever. We are a run first team anyhow so any of those WR's would have been fine

Sammy can never live up to that trade. Not when guys like Beckham Jr and Kelvin Benjamin among others have great careers. It was the deepest WR class ever. We are a run first team anyhow so any of those WR's would have been fine

We'll have to agree to disagree, my friend.

I may be a homer, but in time I believe SW will prove to be the best WR in an incredibly strong WR class. A once in a generation talent. Definitely in a whole different league that Benjamin, and worth the trade. Hell, he nearly single handedly won us 2-3 games last year.

What? There were 8 pro bowlers from that class after two years. Many are starters. Even an undrafted free agent from this draft made the pro bowl. It may have been a poor QB draft, but look at the safeties from that draft. Not a banner year, but not that bad.

What? There were 8 pro bowlers from that class after two years. Many are starters. Even an undrafted free agent from this draft made the pro bowl. It may have been a poor QB draft, but look at the safeties from that draft. Not a banner year, but not that bad.

Look at RBs from that draft also. Good lord

Eddie Lacy

Gio Bernard

Leveon Bell

Andre Ellington

Latavius Murray

Heck even Denard Robinson and Zac Stacy were in there

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Now that we traded Kiko for a RB and gave that RB a big contract extension, it kind of hurts to see him 2 picks before Le'Veon Bell.

Also hurts seeing Dustin Hopkins right before Latavius Murray and Andre Ellington

Given it's the Browns, I still have faith that'll be a deal people will look back on in 6 years and say "The Browns traded Sammy Watkins for 2 guys who are out of the league?!"

OBJ may well have a career to match Sammy. Mike Evans might get close too.... none of the other receivers will. Benjamin included.

I may be a homer, but in time I believe SW will prove to be the best WR in an incredibly strong WR class. A once in a generation talent. Definitely in a whole different league that Benjamin, and worth the trade. Hell, he nearly single handedly won us 2-3 games last year.

I actually agree.

So draft players on practice time one handed catches. Forget about route running, blocking, height, speed,character, ect. Watkins for a rookie, on a team with horrible QB play, did have a break out year rookie wise! Maybe come back this time next year n tell us who we should have drafted.. I am sure it will help out as much as it does now.

OBJ and Benjamin had better years than Sammy, therefore they must be better receivers, right? It doesn't have anything to do with the QB throwing them the ball.

Dude, he's played 12 games. Isnt it a bit early to predict his future?

Edited by Uffalo Ills

OBJ and Benjamin had better years than Sammy, therefore they must be better receivers, right? It doesn't have anything to do with the QB throwing them the ball.

No you are missing the point. Because we don't have a quarterback then what does it matter which of these guys we had? I'd take one of them plus a starting offensive lineman this year. Sammy will never be worth it because we aren't a passing team and with Woods, Harvin, Clay how many touches will Sammy even have?

No you are missing the point. Because we don't have a quarterback then what does it matter which of these guys we had? I'd take one of them plus a starting offensive lineman this year. Sammy will never be worth it because we aren't a passing team and with Woods, Harvin, Clay how many touches will Sammy even have?

You're starting to sound silly. You are enjoying hindsight and guessing on the future way too confident to be sure about either.

Edited by Triple Threat

If you're so convinced, make your post about Sammy never living up to the trade your signature. And make sure you leave it there until you are proven right.

What is false, Alex ?

Many possible scenarios where he could easily. Whose this amazing 2015 draft pick #19 that we are gonna miss out on ?

The second half of the 1st round looks like it's made up of 2nd round talent. It may have looked bad for Whaley with all of the first round WRs going nuts last year, but it looks like the Bills will only miss out on a 2015 1st round pick with 2nd round talent in exchange for getting the sure thing in Sammy Watkins. I'm still glad he made the trade.

The second half of the 1st round looks like it's made up of 2nd round talent. It may have looked bad for Whaley with all of the first round WRs going nuts last year, but it looks like the Bills will only miss out on a 2015 1st round pick with 2nd round talent in exchange for getting the sure thing in Sammy Watkins. I'm still glad he made the trade.

Furthermore in hindsight if we could get a player in the first round like Sammy - I would trade the following years 1st round pick every other year.

Furthermore in hindsight if we could get a player in the first round like Sammy - I would trade the following years 1st round pick every other year.

But players like Sammy never live up to it, because you'd pass on a player like OBJ every year... :wacko:

If you're so convinced, make your post about Sammy never living up to the trade your signature. And make sure you leave it there until you are proven right.

Do you even read what is being said or are you just a broken record? Sammy might be good, heck he might be great. He might make the pro bowl some day. But Beckham has already made the pro bowl. He's already that guy you hope Sammy will be. Sammy is not going to get the ball enough to put up those kinds of numbers in this offense. If you are a run first team then what are you doing trading away a 1st for a WR in the deepest WR draft of all time? I don't care if it was Jerry Rice that you are trading up for. No WR could live up to that on this team. A run first team with no QB that needs other players as well and hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years has no business trading up for a WR. You guys think there is nobody good at #19 this year? Watch the draft Thurs and see. There will be about a dozen guys you will wish we could have had that will be long gone by pick 50.

Do you even read what is being said or are you just a broken record? Sammy might be good, heck he might be great. He might make the pro bowl some day. But Beckham has already made the pro bowl. He's already that guy you hope Sammy will be. Sammy is not going to get the ball enough to put up those kinds of numbers in this offense. If you are a run first team then what are you doing trading away a 1st for a WR in the deepest WR draft of all time? I don't care if it was Jerry Rice that you are trading up for. No WR could live up to that on this team. A run first team with no QB that needs other players as well and hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years has no business trading up for a WR. You guys think there is nobody good at #19 this year? Watch the draft Thurs and see. There will be about a dozen guys you will wish we could have had that will be long gone by pick 50.

Sammy Watkins was what... 20 yards shy of a thousand yard season in his rookie year, playing hurt for at least half the year and being thrown the ball by EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton and more than that made clutch plays that won us at least 2 games (Vikings and Lions)? He is already the guy I hoped he would be and I was a sceptic at draft time. You are talking as though Sammy Watkins had a kind of average rookie year.... he didn't. he was a stud and already proved himself the best wide receiver on this team by some distance (and Percy Harvin will not change that). Sammy will get plenty of catches this year I promise you. Rex Ryan's Clemson connection means he knows exactly what he has in Sammy Watkins and it is a proper #1 NFL wide receiver.

You do realize that watkins played with a broken rib last year, right?

As for next season, I'm guessing 80 catches and somewhere between 1200 and 1300 yards and 10-12 tds for Watkins. He's going to be the centerpiece of the passing game.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not to get into the SW debate, it is not about how good he is vs those drafted after him, it is about it never being good to give up your best chance to gamble on drafting a pro bowl quality player.

I keep reading statements about 2nd round talent. How if we had a 1st round pick this year it would have really been 2nd round talent anyway. There is no such thing as 1st, 2nd or 3rd round talent. The draft is a gamble. It is just that statistically that there is a greater chance of drafting a pro bowl talent in the 1st round. Look at the list below. Does this look like a list of 2nd, 3rd round talent? The positive is we still could get a pro bowler in the 2nd or 3rd. But there is NEVER a good time to have less chance of drafting pro bowl talent by losing a 1st round. Period! Ask Washington.<br>

No one can really predict exactly which players will be busts and what players will be pro bowlers in the 2015 draft. But you can predict that the odds will be much greater that there will be pro bowlers among the 1st round selections this year than there will be in the 2nd round. Yes, we could get our pro bowler in the 2nd or 3rd this year, but our odds of drafting a pro bowler are significantly less without a 1st round opportunity. No amount of rationalizing or attempted justification will change that fact.<br>

2013 Draft Round 2 2 pro bowlers Eddy Lacy, Le'Veon Bell . Even in this yuck draft you have Kyle Long, Cordarrelle Patterson, Travis Frederick, late 1st round picks. How would those teams miss those yuck players

2012 Draft Round 2, 3 5 pro bowlers Alshon Jeffery , Bobby Wagner, Nick Foles, T. Y. Hilton, Russell Wilson. Doug Martin, Round 1, pick 31.

2011 Draft Round 2, 3 5 pro bowlers Andy Dalton, Kyle Rudolph, Randall Cobb, Justin Houston, DeMarco Murray . Cameron Jordan round 1, pick 24; Mark Ingram, round 1, pick 28.

Edited by simpleman

The draft is a gamble

Correct, and I think the Bills absolutely got that and had a chance at a guy that they believed was as close to a sure thing as you can get. So rather than a gamble at #9 in 2014 and in the middle of the 1st in 2015 they went for the sure thing. That was their thinking. I believe they were right that Watkins is a stud.