We Need to Give Buddy Some Credit

13player

I remember we the Bills announced Buddy as the new GM and I said here we go again, but its time for me to say thanks for starting the turn around! I know a lot of people did not like buddy and think he has little to do with where we are today, and I was one of them but he made some pretty serious moves that we are benefiting from today.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has reflected on the moves he made, like signing Mario Williams and getting Whaley to leave the Steelers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea but TJ Graham instead of Russel Wilson...that was an easy one Buddy :(

I think Buddy definitely got us moving in the right direction, Whaley took it a step further, and I think the biggest difference has been the Pegula's. This was the biggest offseason in team history. New coach, a ton of Pro Bowl quality players. This ain't yo mama's Buffalo Bills anymore. Thanks Terry and Kim!

He did seem to get better over time. That said, he generally gave the impression that he was in over his head as an NFL GM. Not unusual for the Bills organization, pre-Pegula.

Except when he signed Mario Williams

Buddy was a good Gm. He inherited an awful situation full of mistrust and subpar players. He left the Bills with a far better team then when he started.

Buddy Deserves credit for keeping this team in the dumper for a few years longer than it needed to be. Whaley was his best hire.

But who can ever forget the great Ruvell Martin? yea Buddy desrves credit for throwing draft picks and actually trading up for a track star, the Merriman bust signing. It goes on without needing to mention several QB's by name.

The Bills became a better team the moment Whaley got the keys.

His 2010 draft was pretty bad, Torell Troup as your 2nd rounder?

He seemed to get better as he went along.

without the injuries, who knows what he wouldve been over time. guys like aaron williams, searcy, bradham, and even dareus werent popular out of the gate but grew into favorites.

without the injuries, who knows what he wouldve been over time. guys like aaron williams, searcy, bradham, and even dareus werent popular out of the gate but grew into favorites.

Injuries aside that was a terrible 2nd round pick.

I remember we the Bills announced Buddy as the new GM and I said here we go again, but its time for me to say thanks for starting the turn around! I know a lot of people did not like buddy and think he has little to do with where we are today, and I was one of them but he made some pretty serious moves that we are benefiting from today.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has reflected on the moves he made, like signing Mario Williams and getting Whaley to leave the Steelers.

I don't think he was good at all. He totally neglected the most important position. The QB. He hung his hat on Fitz and that kicked him in the @ss. The only saving grace is if EJ wins the job this season at QB and looks like a NFL QB.

Edited by mattsox

Injuries aside that was a terrible 2nd round pick.

it was definitely a reach, but switching to a 34 defense it was a pick of terrible need - if i am recalling. I wouldve bet on Cody being the guy there, but.... if they knew they HAD to have a NT, and they saw a big drop off after troup, the reasoning to make the pick wouldnt have been terrible if he was healthy/productive. i prefer BPA, but swapping schemes all the time (and from tampa 2 to 34, nonetheless) -- it gets you into bad spots sometimes.

I was all set to agree with the sentiment that "Buddy deserves some credit, but Whaley is much better"... but then I looked at the drafts again.

Yes, Buddy's first draft (2010) stunk, but the next two were pretty good. He hit on both picks in the top 50, and added some good players in the later rounds--Searcy, Sheppard (who got them Hughes), Hairston, Bradham, Brooks. His last draft would be judged good as well, except he was in a position where he felt he had to find a QB--that draft will depend on what happens with EJ.

Whaley's first draft also has a question mark in CyrusK. If he pans out, then I think this could go down as one of the best drafts in years, if....

I like Whaley's attitude on this draft though. He said something like "anyone should be able to draft a good player in the top 15, this is where they need to show how good they are." I'm looking forward to their choices...

Of course he deserves credit. He was a better GM than Whaley. Go through the roster and see who's responsible for bringing in more impact players. And unlike Whaley has this off-season, he didn't have the benefit of spending like a drunken sailor (on coaching and personnel). Nix gets way too much hate on here from uninformed fans. Every team in the league passed on Wilson and Gronkowski at least once.

Edited by QB Bills

Buddy Nix brought in an obvious upgrade in talent, and I don't know what to tell people who don't see it. Hell, just signing Mario and drafting Dareus should make people happy. And he convinced the NFL that Cordy Glenn was a guard for crying out loud LOL. And Gilmore is good. Torell Troup was awful, but you can't win them all.

His 2010 draft was pretty bad, Torell Troup as your 2nd rounder?

He seemed to get better as he went along.

I think he got stuck with Modrak's draft board on that one.

Buddy was hired as GM on December 31, 2009 and much of the scouting work had already been completed on that year's draft class. While he had rejoined the team a year earlier as a national scout, I don't think he was able to put his best effort into the 2010 draft...