Antonio Brown.... Jason Peters..how will Steelers Handle

plenzmd1

I know we are under a whole new regime at OBD...but this will be interesting to watch over the summer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/antonio-brown-wants-new-deal-wont-be-at-offseason-workouts/

Signed a big 6 year deal 3 years ago, that basically made It tough to also sign Wallace.

3 years remaining on his deal....speculation is will sit out till gets new one closer to what his contribution has been.

Hmm, sounds familiar no?

But Steelers are an admired organization, Bills not so much.

I think the Steelers make him play for his originally contract, just as the Bills did with Peters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we are under a whole new regime at OBD...but this will be interesting to watch over the summer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/antonio-brown-wants-new-deal-wont-be-at-offseason-workouts/

Signed a big 6 year deal 3 years ago, that basically made It tough to also sign Wallace.

3 years remaining on his deal....speculation is will sit out till gets new one closer to what his contribution has been.

Hmm, sounds familiar no?

But Steelers are an admired organization, Bills not so much.

I think the Steelers make him play for his originally contract, just as the Bills did with Peters.

The Bills didn't make him play for his original contract. They renegotiated with him and offered him well over his original contract. 9m per year. He and his agent thought he was worth 10m so they didn't sign. So did Philly who gave away a #1 and more, plus 10m a year.

The Bills didn't make him play for his original contract. They renegotiated with him and offered him well over his original contract. 9m per year. He and his agent thought he was worth 10m so they didn't sign. So did Philly who gave away a #1 and more, plus 10m a year.

I may be wrong, but thought Peters held out of training camp year 3 of the 5 year deal...reporting week before opener, and sucked rest of year.

he was threatening to do same in year 4, and then was traded. Bills universally blasted for how they handled the situation.

I really don't remember the $9 m offer.

I may be wrong, but thought Peters held out of training camp year 3 of the 5 year deal...reporting week before opener, and sucked rest of year.

he was threatening to do same in year 4, and then was traded. Bills universally blasted for how they handled the situation.

You are right. He did hold out the previous year and reported just before the season. Good point.

The Bills did start renegotiating with him the following off season so he wouldn't hold out again and that is when they offered him the 9m but he wanted 10m and found a trading partner. They were very willing to pay him just not that much.

Yep.

-Undrafted rookie to play on ST and as TE

- Converted to tackle (RT) where he did well, was paid as a tackle

- Replaced Gandy at LT and did well

- Sulked in following year and held out of TC. Eventually played the season and gave up a lot of sacks

- Sulked again during TC and refused some Bills offer (not sure what it was exactly) and was traded

This has been debated ad nauseum on this board but I hated him for dogging that last year with the Bills because he was unhappy. IMO, his bad behavior should not have been rewarded by giving into this demands for a ~$10 MM/yr contract. There was also no way to know if he would pout again in a couple of years. At the time the decision was made by the Bills, I was supportive of it as he was a malcontent with a bad attitude.

Only reason Peters didn't get his money was because he held the Bills ransom. Ralph don't play that. Show up and fake an injury is much better, Bruce used to do it all the time.

Schobel actually showed how to do it though. Had 3 years left on his contract, showed up and got a top DE contract.

Yep.

-Undrafted rookie to play on ST and as TE

- Converted to tackle (RT) where he did well, was paid as a tackle

- Replaced Gandy at LT and did well

- Sulked in following year and held out of TC. Eventually played the season and gave up a lot of sacks

- Sulked again during TC and refused some Bills offer (not sure what it was exactly) and was traded

This has been debated ad nauseum on this board but I hated him for dogging that last year with the Bills because he was unhappy. IMO, his bad behavior should not have been rewarded by giving into this demands for a ~$10 MM/yr contract. There was also no way to know if he would pout again in a couple of years. At the time the decision was made by the Bills, I was supportive of it as he was a malcontent with a bad attitude.

Although most of that I agree with, and there is no question that Peters showed up out of shape at the beginning of the season, the contrasting viewpoint is that it and he didn't hurt them at all. They started the season with four straight wins while he worked himself into shape.

He didn't have a completely great year but he was still a great player, and we should have signed him to the 10m a year deal, which would have kept him in Buffalo and happy in Buffalo, which he never hated contrary to some people's opinions. It was all about money and respect. He wanted to be paid what he was worth, and he clearly was worth 10m a season.

Only reason Peters didn't get his money was because he held the Bills ransom. Ralph don't play that. Show up and fake an injury is much better, Bruce used to do it all the time.

Schobel actually showed how to do it though. Had 3 years left on his contract, showed up and got a top DE contract.

Not the same thing...Bruce just didn't like training camp.

I don't think Peters needs to be brought into the conversation to compare to the Brown situation but...

Pro Bowl LTs you pay. Pro Bowl WRs you don't necessarily have to pay. WRs are more expendable/replaceable/less vital to success especially when compared to LT.

Peters was making $3 mil a year whereas Brown is unhappy with $8 mil. Peters should've been given his $10 mil a year and the Steelers don't need to cave in to Brown's hold out. Brown has marginally outplayed his contract. Peters was playing for less than 1/3 of what he was worth and at a more vital position.

OP is trying to make this a Steelers vs Bills public perception issue when the two situations aren't even comparable.

He didn't have a completely great year but he was still a great player, and we should have signed him to the 10m a year deal, which would have kept him in Buffalo and happy in Buffalo, which he never hated contrary to some people's opinions. It was all about money and respect. He wanted to be paid what he was worth, and he clearly was worth 10m a season.

Didn't he give up something like 11 sacks that last year with Buffalo ? I lost respect for him and hence stated that it would have rewarded bad behavior and set a bad example for the team.

I don't think Peters needs to be brought into the conversation to compare to the Brown situation but...

Pro Bowl LTs you pay. Pro Bowl WRs you don't necessarily have to pay. WRs are more expendable/replaceable/less vital to success especially when compared to LT.

Peters was making $3 mil a year whereas Brown is unhappy with $8 mil. Peters should've been given his $10 mil a year and the Steelers don't need to cave in to Brown's hold out. Brown has marginally outplayed his contract. Peters was playing for less than 1/3 of what he was worth and at a more vital position.

OP is trying to make this a Steelers vs Bills public perception issue when the two situations aren't even comparable.

Aren't there a lot of teams out there that have had great success with mediocre to average LTs? A great WR can break open a game (see the Megatrons, Fitzgeralds , AJ Greens of the world) . You can't say the same about an LT.

Peters was also given a raise and extension without asking a couple years before he demanded the big contract. The fact he wouldn't sign the $9 mil deal Buffalo offered was really a kick in the nuts to Buffalo. he never wanted to play here and he played the game and forced the trade.

Bills were right not to offer more then what they did, Peters would of only played here if he was over paid to do so, and that wouldn't' of translated into a good player for us.