Sammy about EJ: "That's my guy"

scribo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't mean much in terms of whether or not EJ will win the job, but it certainly reflects acknowledgment from a teammate that he has put in a lot of hard work.

I still can't fathom how any true Bills fan would not want EJ to win this job in convincing fashion.

Well said. I have JP flashbacks who also was a good guy but terrible QB. On some level, I wonder if some posters are more afraid of being wrong than the team losing.

"I told him, 'I'm with you 100 percent' whether he is the starter or not.”

starter or not won't help his confidence, but good try

I read the "starter or not" as acknowledging that EJ can put his best foot forward, but at the end of the day the coaches decide who plays.

Just like when Orton was struggling and Hackett said good things about EJ's development in practice, but EJ had no control over whether or not he got to see the field.

Well said. I have JP flashbacks who also was a good guy but terrible QB. On some level, I wonder if some posters are more afraid of being wrong than the team losing.

Obviously that comparison makes sense given they were both first round picks. A few differences though.

1) Losman sat behind Bledsoe his rookie year. He became a starter his 2nd year, inheriting a 9-7 team, and was brutal completing less than 50% of his passes for under 6 ypa. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LosmJ.00.htm EJ is much further along than JP at this stage of his career.

2) Losman was a decent guy but he was hated by his team. My "source" said he had one friend on the team, Evans. He was not well liked. This was also evident by Troy Vincent and Big Ben comments.

It's the main problem with Jay Cutler. As a QB, if you don't have the lockerroom, guys aren't going to play for you. EJ is a guy everyone on the team likes.

For the maximum of this season's potential to be reached, EJ becomes the starter and Cassel is a quality backup. Anything else puts a ceiling on this season.

I need to add that I think Sammy sounds a lot more like a vocal leader this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see either he or Robert Woods elected as a captain.

I don't who they will replace though. Fred, Wood, or Mario. Great leaders right there.

And I like Woods but I hardly think of him as captain material. too emotional.

I read the "starter or not" as acknowledging that EJ can put his best foot forward, but at the end of the day the coaches decide who plays.

Just like when Orton was struggling and Hackett said good things about EJ's development in practice, but EJ had no control over whether or not he got to see the field.

While I agree with you others do not ...... according to a certain poster the GM decides who plays ..

"I told him, 'I'm with you 100 percent' whether he is the starter or not.”

starter or not won't help his confidence, but good try

If you listen to the whole interview, the context is that Sammy is being asked about the "QB Competition" and kind of gives a PC answer about them all throwing well and it could be any one of them.

Then he's asked more specifically about EJ and he says the stuff about him coming back and working on his footwork and throwing the ball better and being a different guy, ending with "he's my guy" comments.

I think he pretty much had to modify that with something acknowledging the "QB competition" to toe the Bills "QB Competition" party line

If you listen to the whole interview, the context is that Sammy is being asked about the "QB Competition" and kind of gives a PC answer about them all throwing well and it could be any one of them.

Then he's asked more specifically about EJ and he says the stuff about him coming back and working on his footwork and throwing the ball better and being a different guy, ending with "he's my guy" comments.

I think he pretty much had to modify that with something acknowledging the "QB competition" to toe the Bills "QB Competition" party line

I know I will be called an EJ homer, but I really believe the coaches want EJ to win the job. Rex has made numerous comments this offseason indicating that.

If you have the actual interview that would be great. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are arguing.

I was never a fan of this argument for most player quotes. Although I don't think it is in Sammy's character, he can bad mouth him, or slip up and say something negative. Half of the NFL story lines are of that sort. He can also say nothing or very little. He didn't need to elaborate on EJ working hard or being a "different" man.

I wouldn't take it as everyone believes Manuel is the starter now. I would take it as his teammates having faith that he can turn it around and it is up to him to be successful.

Interview linked in OP. The interview starts with a question about the QB competition and comments about all 3 QB***, Sammy is asked to elaborate on EJ.

IMO, Sammy definitely went above and beyond what he had to say, and the "whether or not he's the starter" was a PC nod to the "QB competition" he ack'd at the start of the article

Depends if he was or not responding to a question. Otherwise, There was no reason for him to say anything at all unless he felt strongly about it

He was responding to a question, but he (IMO) said more and worded more positively than he had to.

*** he did not mention Tuel as one of the 3 guys in competition as starter

Edited by Hopeful

It doesn't mean much in terms of whether or not EJ will win the job, but it certainly reflects acknowledgment from a teammate that he has put in a lot of hard work.

I still can't fathom how any true Bills fan would not want EJ to win this job in convincing fashion.

I feel this way 100% as well. EJ seems driven. You just can't help but root for this kid. We've been here before he has to do it in Sundays though.

I don't who they will replace though. Fred, Wood, or Mario. Great leaders right there.

And I like Woods but I hardly think of him as captain material. too emotional.

Because Fred is the type of guy that just bottles everything up and keeps it to himself right? :nana:

They did?

Yes, the receivers were really down with EJ. As a season ticket holder, I was able to watch the receivers after the plays were over....not visible on TV.....anyhow, they were in total disgust of EJ missing them when they were wide open. Arms thrown in the air......gestures etc. Lots of different spin on why Marrone sat EJ down....but, the receiver group was totally disgusted with EJ, and his lack of accuracy was a stong indication he can't make it in the NFL. So, Sammy making such a statement.....is being supportive... and maybe a signal the wr's (at leastSammy) will give EJ another shot. Marrone really had no choice but to sit EJ last year, he had an insurrection on his hands.