Roman can build an offense that any of our QBs can execute

here's the thing.. if Roman can build a running attack that out-numbers the defense at the poa, then the defense will be forced to bring men up to neutralize that advantage. when this happens, Roman and his assistants must confirm that the opposing DC has his players keying on who Roman thought they would - and as the game unfolds - they must recognize how and when the DC changes who they're keying on instead. I think Roman is very much up to the task, and will be prepared to coordinate his offense at a level deeper than Marrone and Hackett could imagine. Roman will move defenders by formation and motion. he'll create situations where the defense must leave itself vulnerable.. where single 'key' defenders are put in a position of trying to defend two things at once, and thus.. can be optioned.

i'm thinking Roman's QBs will be well prepared to read this 'key', and choose to either throw to the receiver who's route takes him into the area Roman expects the 'key' defender will abandon - or to the receiver whose route takes him into the area Roman's 'key' defender is not defending because he either missed or chose not to act on the offensive 'key' Roman gave him. a passing game that can option coverage simplifies the QB's decision making.

it will all work off the running attack. we're going to be facing a lot of 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 nickel defenses employing 3 safeties, and if we're successful on the ground - at least one, and maybe two of those safeties will have to be brought up to make tackles after their LBs try to take out our blockers. this should create the aforementioned vulnerability in the secondary. one of our big problems last year was the fact that our running attack didn't demand that kind of attention. DCs were able to contain us in the secondary without sacrificing defenders to the los.

a heck of a lot is riding on our ability to consistently get more men playside than the defense is prepared for, and forcing to bring help. with that in mind, the additions of Clay and Felton cannot be applauded enough. Roman knows exactly what he wants to build, and he and Kromer know where we may be deficient. even if we don't break camp with the perfect player at each O-line position, they'll be given enough personnel to gameplan an advantage.

seeing the coaching staff, front office, and ownership all pulling in the same direction continues to be a real treat.. and although our current roster of QBs bring varying skills and experience to the job, i'm very confident that any of them will be able to execute what Roman draws up.

Edited by BackInDaDay

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless the defense can play with 12 men, Roman has the tools to make you choose where you'll defend - and he can manipulate that within the parameters of down/distance/time/score by employing different personnel packages, formations, motion.. if he knows what you're willing to concede, the offense will have enough information to strike. the QB just needs to execute

here's the thing.. if Roman can build a running attack that out-numbers the defense at the poa, then the defense will be forced to bring men up to neutralize that advantage. when this happens, Roman and his assistants must confirm that the opposing DC has his players keying on who Roman thought they would - and as the game unfolds - they must recognize how and when the DC changes who they're keying on instead. I think Roman is very much up to the task, and will be prepared to coordinate his offense at a level deeper than Marrone and Hackett could imagine. Roman will move defenders by formation and motion. he'll create situations where the defense must leave itself vulnerable.. where single 'key' defenders are put in a position of trying to defend two things at once, and thus.. can be optioned.

i'm thinking Roman's QBs will be well prepared to read this 'key', and choose to either throw to the receiver who's route takes him into the area Roman expects the 'key' defender will abandon - or to the receiver whose route takes him into the area Roman's 'key' defender is not defending because he either missed or chose not to act on the offensive 'key' Roman gave him. a passing game that can option coverage simplifies the QB's decision making.

it will all work off the running attack. we're going to be facing a lot of 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 nickel defenses employing 3 safeties, and if we're successful on the ground - at least one, and maybe two of those safeties will have to be brought up to make tackles after their LBs try to take out our blockers. this should create the aforementioned vulnerability in the secondary. one of our big problems last year was the fact that our running attack didn't demand that kind of attention. DCs were able to contain us in the secondary without sacrificing defenders to the los.

a heck of a lot is riding on our ability to consistently get more men playside than the defense is prepared for, and forcing to bring help. with that in mind, the additions of Clay and Felton cannot be applauded enough. Roman knows exactly what he wants to build, and he and Kromer know where we may be deficient. even if we don't break camp with the perfect player at each O-line position, they'll be given enough personnel to gameplan an advantage.

seeing the coaching staff, front office, and ownership all pulling in the same direction continues to be a real treat.. and although our current roster of QBs bring varying skills and experience to the job, i'm very confident that any of them will be able to execute what Roman draws up.

I'm excited about the idea of someone as qualified as Roman as OC, but you make it sound so simple and it's not. It's typical off season optimism , which is fine, but when you dismiss our poor line play and unsettled QB position you really drop the ball. Every team has coaches that know what they want, they need the personnel to make it happen and it's still a huge question mark that we have them.

And you really have no idea what defensive formations we will face, nobody does. You are just guessing.

I think there is more potential then last year, but I believe the positive impact of our offense will be helped by our defense in forcing turnovers/3 and outs and giving our offense some short fields to take advantage of.

Our team will be football at it's most basic. Run the ball and stop the run, and win the turnover battle.

I'm excited about the idea of someone as qualified as Roman as OC, but you make it sound so simple and it's not. It's typical off season optimism , which is fine, but when you dismiss our poor line play and unsettled QB position you really drop the ball. Every team has coaches that know what they want, they need the personnel to make it happen and it's still a huge question mark that we have them.

And you really have no idea what defensive formations we will face, nobody does. You are just guessing.

I think there is more potential then last year, but I believe the positive impact of our offense will be helped by our defense in forcing turnovers/3 and outs and giving our offense some short fields to take advantage of.

Our team will be football at it's most basic. Run the ball and stop the run, and win the turnover battle.

how we'll be defended isn't really guesswork.. a DC will adopt a gameplan that takes away the easiest thing for us to do, and invites us to attempt what we're not comfortable doing.. in every situation we find ourselves. nothing new there.. so if the easiest thing for us to do is run the ball, the DC will gameplan to take away our running game and force our QBs to throw. but because of the design of our running game, he will have to borrow men to get to where he thinks we're going - in order to handle the combination of O-linemen, FB, TE, RBs, - and possibly our QBs - heading that way. Roman knows this, and will initially tell the D where he's going, and go there. it's all about preparation. i believe Roman will be prepared to react to how he's being defended, and i believe he'll prepare several layers of moves and counter moves to react with.

most importantly, he's been given an assortment of talented personnel to react with.

will solid opposing DC's attempt to challenge his O by preparing their unit as well, or better, as Roman does - of course.. but the talents of Roman's skill position players are diverse, and will create match-up problems for Ds whose players can't defend his one-on-one. all i'm saying, is that there'll be defensive concessions made, and Roman will be prepared when they're exposed - whether that's days before kickoff, or during play.

our QBs will have to execute when the plays present themselves , and on occasion they'll have to make plays when they're crossed up.. but i am optimistic that they won't be faced with processing multiple reads every time they drop back.. the idea is for your QB to gain confidence by giving him choices that succeed.

All of these offenses have massive playbooks which have 500 plays or combinations of plays that include all kinds of variations. Teas concentrate on a small number of those plays depending on their QB and the skills of the main members of their offenses (unless, of course, your name is Doug Marrone and then all bets are off). Then for each game depending on the opponent and game plan they concentrate and practice 25-30 of them. If we play Cassell, and then he gets hurt, it would really only take a week to retool the offense to EJ's or Taylor's strengths.

What if they ran a qb by committee.? Think Taylor would be interesting as a red zone only qb. Let EJ and Castle fight for the #1 spot and let the Winner start. Or find a package of 20 plays each that play to their individual talents. It could be cutting edge to have EJ and Castle split snaps and then TT gets all the red zone snaps. I think TT could be really effective inside the 20s. He is super fast, and if he took 85% red zone snaps in practice he will be well prepared. Thoughts

What if they ran a qb by committee.? Think Taylor would be interesting as a red zone only qb. Let EJ and Castle fight for the #1 spot and let the Winner start. Or find a package of 20 plays each that play to their individual talents. It could be cutting edge to have EJ and Castle split snaps and then TT gets all the red zone snaps. I think TT could be really effective inside the 20s. He is super fast, and if he took 85% red zone snaps in practice he will be well prepared. Thoughts

We have 3 QB's that haven't justified being a starter in any way, to expect a committee to be effective is unrealistic, it's never been done before, it's hard enough to find one starter, let alone 2 or 3 that you expect to rely on. I said it earlier in this thread, the key to this team will still be our defense and it's ability to give the offense short fields to help it score. We still don't have a proven offensive line and that's where the focus needs to be offensively. If the line becomes effective, everything will fall into place very well. If not, defenses will have the advantage over us, regardless of our weapons.

We have 3 QB's that haven't justified being a starter in any way, to expect a committee to be effective is unrealistic, it's never been done before, it's hard enough to find one starter, let alone 2 or 3 that you expect to rely on. I said it earlier in this thread, the key to this team will still be our defense and it's ability to give the offense short fields to help it score. We still don't have a proven offensive line and that's where the focus needs to be offensively. If the line becomes effective, everything will fall into place very well. If not, defenses will have the advantage over us, regardless of our weapons.

Rex said their plan is to work on two fields in training camp. So it would make sense, they could let EJ And Castle work on open field stuff, one on each field. Then let TT take all the red zone snaps on both fields. The fact that we have three guys, but not a true #1 could be the reason they go committee. Better to to give each guy a different package of plays then throw the whole offence at each guy. Again it's never been done. But that doesn't. Mean it couldn't work

unless the defense can play with 12 men, Roman has the tools to make you choose where you'll defend - and he can manipulate that within the parameters of down/distance/time/score by employing different personnel packages, formations, motion.. if he knows what you're willing to concede, the offense will have enough information to strike. the QB just needs to execute

Roman "had the tools" laast season (Kaep, Gore, Hyde, Boldin, Crabtree, Davis, SJ) and opponents seemed to figure out that offense.

Roman "had the tools" laast season (Kaep, Gore, Hyde, Boldin, Crabtree, Davis, SJ) and opponents seemed to figure out that offense.

you forgot one of - if not the best - pulling guards in the league ;)

so yes, he had a diversity of talent there, and his offense hit a wall.. but i doubt it was a case of opponents figuring him out. opponents knew what he was going to do in seasons prior to last, and his O was able to exert itself. did he try to steer his gameplans in a different direction last year? i don't know. all i'm suggesting, is that our offense is now in capable hands, and Roman can build it to be driven by drivers of varying experience. they're all NFL QBs - so regardless of the hyperbole we're all guilty of as fans, regarding their skills - none of this will be foreign to any of them. to risk beating my previous metaphor to death.. Roman's offense will have a wheel, brakes, and a gas pedal. all they need to do is follow directions to keep it on the road.

The Roman offense wasn't built in a day you know.

:D:thumbsup: