Average Income Lower Than Previous Year

__________________________________________________________________________________________
                    Average annual expenditures            Income before taxes    
                 July 2012-   July 2013-     Percent    July 2012-  July 2013-    Percent
Income quintile  June 2013    June 2014      change     June 2013   June 2014      change
----------------------------  ----------     --------   ----------  ----------    -------
Lowest 20th       $22,336      $22,981         2.9       $10,174      $9,818        -3.5
 percentile                                                                        
Second 20th        33,075       32,778        -0.9        27,094      26,369        -2.7
 percentile                                                                        
Third 20th         42,728       43,739         2.4        47,017      45,724        -2.8
 percentile                                                                        
Fourth 20th        59,155       59,250         0.2        75,990      74,410        -2.1
 percentile                                                                        
Highest 20th       99,651      100,979         1.3       164,647     166,048         0.9
 percentile
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Other than the highest 20th percentile, everyone's income has gone down. In some of the cases, combined with increased cost of living.

What are your thoughts on this? What is causing this?

More info below:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cesmy.nr0.htm

Edited by Dorkington

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought is that's a somewhat awkward definition of "quintile." I make between $45k and $75k annually...which quintile am I in?

My second thought was...to laugh at the fact that the single biggest contributor to increased expenses was the health insurance costs. Good job, ACA. :thumbsup:

My third thought was that statistics lie. I want to see the raw data.

My first thought is that's a somewhat awkward definition of "quintile." I make between $45k and $75k annually...which quintile am I in?

My second thought was...to laugh at the fact that the single biggest contributor to increased expenses was the health insurance costs. Good job, ACA. :thumbsup:

My third thought was that statistics lie. I want to see the raw data.

Insurance prices going up (as they do every year) + more people buying insurance due to the mandate makes the increased insurance spending pretty logical, imo.

Most of the jobs that are created are lower-skilled jobs and that there is still slack in the economy.

In positions with hourly wages, particularly the retail sector, people saw their hours cut to just below the threshold where the employer would be on the hook for healthcare coverage leaving uncle sam with the bill. Win win.

Insurance prices going up (as they do every year) + more people buying insurance due to the mandate makes the increased insurance spending pretty logical, imo.

It's absolutely logical. That's not why I laugh.

I laugh, because the ACA was supposed to drive down health "care" costs, but health insurance costs are going up due to the mandates of the ACA that were supposed to prevent it.

Also not germane to your original post, so I'll drop the subject here.

Monthly job gains fell significantly in March, and were well below the expectations of most forecasters.
The economy added only 126,000 net new jobs in March,
and January and February’s job gains were revised downward by 69,000 jobs.
The unemployment rate held steady at 5.5 percent.
Bottom line: This report confirms most beliefs about the job market.
We haven't upshifted to +275K monthly trend.
We're weaker than we thought.

Monthly job gains fell significantly in March, and were well below the expectations of most forecasters.
The economy added only 126,000 net new jobs in March,
and January and February’s job gains were revised downward by 69,000 jobs.
The unemployment rate held steady at 5.5 percent.
Bottom line: This report confirms most beliefs about the job market.
We haven't upshifted to +275K monthly trend.
We're weaker than we thought.

And this is why no one trusts the Iran agreement. It may actually be a good agreement...but we can't take this administration's word on it, since they oversell everything.

In positions with hourly wages, particularly the retail sector, people saw their hours cut to just below the threshold where the employer would be on the hook for healthcare coverage leaving uncle sam with the bill. Win win.

Success!!

Sorry Dante,

Even though the articles above use the numbers directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics report,

I am sure that you will be told that they are not in the "approved list of links"

B-)

Sorry Dante,

Even though the articles above use the numbers directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics report,

I am sure that you will be told that they are not in the "approved list of links"

B-)

Well I would link to them if they reported this kind of thing. Did a quick look at a couple leftist sites. Both CBS and CNN have no mention of this. They seem to be all over some guy released from prison. You know, because that affects us all.

Old news. The economy went soft 8 years ago, the recovery if you want to call it that has been slow and weak so of course employment and wages are lagging. Those at the bottom of the income ladder are generally effected the most as a weak economy punishes those with fewer skills. The big question is what can be done about it. Liberals must be in shock that raising taxes and expanding entitlements hasn't generated better results.

Meanwhile the GOP worries about legislation to help pizza huts and cake shops....

Yeah those deadbeats. Wasting time trying to preserve basic individual liberty. Why don't they just submit to our PC correct fascist overlords. Dumbass GOP

Old news. The economy went soft 8 years ago, the recovery if you want to call it that has been slow and weak so of course employment and wages are lagging. Those at the bottom of the income ladder are generally effected the most as a weak economy punishes those with fewer skills. The big question is what can be done about it. Liberals must be in shock that raising taxes and expanding entitlements hasn't generated better results.

The fraud has had 6 years to reverse the soft economy.

Monthly job gains fell significantly in March,

How is this possible? We’ve had numerous recovery summers and unemployment has been eliminated by executive order.

Well, that only covered "officially calculated unemployment" which currently stands at 5.5%.

The type of employment where you actually wake up in the morning and go to your job hasn’t been doing quite so well.

This month’s report was a downturn. It was, wait for it…., wait for it…. *WORSE THAN EXPECTED.*

In case you thought it was just the Jobless Recovery thing again, nope. It’s just job-less.

The Atlanta Fed has downgraded their projection for US economic growth to near zero.

Monthly job gains fell significantly in March,

How is this possible? We’ve had numerous recovery summers and unemployment has been eliminated by executive order.

Well, that only covered "officially calculated unemployment" which currently stands at 5.5%.

The type of employment where you actually wake up in the morning and go to your job hasn’t been doing quite so well.

This month’s report was a downturn. It was, wait for it…., wait for it…. *WORSE THAN EXPECTED.*

In case you thought it was just the Jobless Recovery thing again, nope. It’s just job-less.

The Atlanta Fed has downgraded their projection for US economic growth to near zero.

These numbers alone prove what a utter low grade president Obama has been. Absolute fraud and failure. That's just domestically.

This is the deal: If unemployment had been cut in half since 2009 like the administration has been telling us with their cooked books, then wages would have naturally gone up. Wages are not going to go down as unemployment is going down. Just another lie by this administration.

the "problem" is that this result is by design. our business laws, institutions, election laws and yes, even our tax system makes such an outcome almost a necessity…oh, wait, i think there's a highly debated book about just that. http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Twenty-First-Century-Thomas-Piketty/dp/1491534656

"It seems safe to say that Capital in the Twenty-First Century, the magnum opus of the French economist Thomas Piketty, will be the most important economics book of the year—and maybe of the decade"

i strongly suspect that if you further broke down the top quintile into deciles, most of the increases would be seen at the very top.

Edited by birdog1960

the "problem" is that this result is by design. our business laws, institutions, election laws and yes, even our tax system makes such an outcome almost a necessity…oh, wait, i think there's a highly debated book about just that. http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Twenty-First-Century-Thomas-Piketty/dp/1491534656

"It seems safe to say that Capital in the Twenty-First Century, the magnum opus of the French economist Thomas Piketty, will be the most important economics book of the year—and maybe of the decade"

i strongly suspect that if you further broke down the top quintile into deciles, most of the increases would be seen at the very top.

When I got to this I thought you were joking. Are you?

The level of macro and micro economics in this thread is enlightening

Since BO is not going to make things better what are the GOP' plans to restore middle class income growth?

Seriously. Lets forecast that Jeb or Scott wins and the GOP wins 60 seats in the Senate.....what could we expect that would help middle class income growth and deeper employment?

Edited by baskin

Since BO is not going to make things better what are the GOP' Hilary's plans to restore middle class income growth?

Seriously. Lets forecast that Jeb or Scott Hilary wins and the GOP wins 60 seats in the Senate Democrats retake Congress.....what could we expect that would help middle class income growth and deeper employment?

Right back at you

Right back at you

I dont want Hillary. You just confirmed my thoughts that the GOP really doesn't have any good ideas. I even read the GOP platform today and it had no ideas.

I think you are fooling yourself if you think POTUS has a big effect on middle class income. The effects of global competition, internet, computers, worker effeciency gains all far outweigh what either the GOP or BO could do to change these dynamics.

Todays economic structure does not b ode well for the middle class.

I dont want Hillary. You just confirmed my thoughts that the GOP really doesn't have any good ideas. I even read the GOP platform today and it had no ideas.

I think you are fooling yourself if you think POTUS has a big effect on middle class income. The effects of global competition, internet, computers, worker effeciency gains all far outweigh what either the GOP or BO could do to change these dynamics.

You seem to think that most libertarian and right-leaning people here automatically support the republicans, but you'd know if you read more of what's being said around here that most consider the republican party to be only slightly less crappy than the democrats, and not much of an alternative at all.

You seem to think believe that most libertarian and right-leaning people here automatically support the republicans, but you'd know if you read more of what's being said around here that most consider the republican party to be only slightly less crappy than the democrats, and not much of an alternative at all.

Fixed.

Our LLL's don't think.

You seem to think believe feel that most libertarian and right-leaning people here automatically support the republicans, but you'd know if you read more of what's being said around here that most consider the republican party to be only slightly less crappy than the democrats, and not much of an alternative at all.

Fixed.

Our LLL's don't think.

Thanks, but now that I see my mistake, I noticed you made one too. 'Belief' requires conviction on the part of the individual, where 'feel' implies emotion and no actual thought at all.

Thanks, but now that I see my mistake, I noticed you made one too. 'Belief' requires conviction on the part of the individual, where 'feel' implies emotion and no actual thought at all.

No, I can make a pretty strong case that they have conviction.

It's any sense of reality they lack.

The Dems don't have any good ideas and we've seen the unfortunate result of that these past 6 years. So to vote Dem again in 2016 would be akin to Einstein's definition of insanity.

I just had an epiphany. If only those do nothing Repubs would pass a pipeline bill or express an interest in opening up federal lands for fossil fuel exploration, maybe we as a country could use cheap energy to build our manufacturing base back up. Oh my gosh, I'm having another one. Do epiphanies come in twos? They must or spellcheck would have flagged "epiphanies". Would reducing our corporate tax rate encourage more corporations to headquarter in the U.S ? Just a wild thought that probably no one has ever thought of before. Uh oh, an idea is forming and it isn't quite clear yet but it seems to have something to do with less restrictive regulations and rolling back some 2700 page federal bill that tells people they have to buy something and companies have to provide it, or make their employees work less than 30 hours per week. Oh boy, I just can't put my finger on it and three epiphanies have made me as weak as Oda Mae Brown after she let Sam posses her. I'll rest and see if that helps me put a finger on it and maybe some others too.

Since BO is not going to make things better what are the GOP' plans to restore middle class income growth?

Seriously. Lets forecast that Jeb or Scott wins and the GOP wins 60 seats in the Senate.....what could we expect that would help middle class income growth and deeper employment?

Relying on the government to find a fix is a liberal point of view.

The Conservative answer is to get government out of the way and let the economy grow. Trying to force a form of social justice (ie "help the middle class" specifically to the detriment of everything else) creates inefficiencies that drag the whole system down.

The Potus may not have much power in improving the middle class, but he can do a lot of damage to it.

I just had an epiphany. If only those do nothing Repubs would pass a pipeline bill or express an interest in opening up federal lands for fossil fuel exploration, maybe we as a country could use cheap energy to build our manufacturing base back up. Oh my gosh, I'm having another one. Do epiphanies come in twos? They must or spellcheck would have flagged "epiphanies". Would reducing our corporate tax rate encourage more corporations to headquarter in the U.S ? Just a wild thought that probably no one has ever thought of before. Uh oh, an idea is forming and it isn't quite clear yet but it seems to have something to do with less restrictive regulations and rolling back some 2700 page federal bill that tells people they have to buy something and companies have to provide it, or make their employees work less than 30 hours per week. Oh boy, I just can't put my finger on it and three epiphanies have made me as weak as Oda Mae Brown after she let Sam posses her. I'll rest and see if that helps me put a finger on it and maybe some others too.

I would say that the above has either no effect (kxl) or unmeasureable effect on middle income wages compared to global compettion, global sourcing and technolgical labor replacement.