Should we draft a developmental QB late round? If so who?

Bocephuz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. I think he was with Jessica Simpson at the time. But he's single now and I'll put in a good word for you.

I'd tell you to stop arguing over such a trivial point (not that you have one in this case) but that apparently won't do any good.

Tuel is awful. He doesn't even deserve OTA time. I like Sean Mannion as the only decent drop back QB in the draft other than Winston. His senior year stats took a hit because Oregon State lost two top WR's. He has the arm strength and size. He is slower than stink. He played in a pro-style offense his entire career. Not saying he will succeed buthe has the physical tools to do it. Tuel does not. If you are going to take a flyer on a late QB he should have speed or a great arm. Neither of those can be taught. They have a project speed QB. Bring in a QB that can truly beat the defense over the top.

I'm terrified at the idea of Mannion and his apparent inability to drive the football with velocity having to throw in the late-autumn winds at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

To me, Mannion is a guy that's an ideal backup. He actually reminds me of another Oregon State Alum--Derek Anderson.

I don't expect him to be a starter but if he develops good for us if not no biggie

BPA every round we draft in. Come on guys this team is at that level now

not at QB , OL shaky too

I'm a supporter of EJ, but even I'd like the Bills to add a QB in this draft to just increase your chances of finding the guy.

After JW and MM, I don't think any of the QBs left over deserve a 2nd rd grade because they all seem like "backup only" QB prospects with only a very slight chance to turn into a franchise QB. My plan would be to have the 3rd rd pick in play, because that's the spot where you can take a chance on the most important position if the QB you like is still there. The more I read, the more I'm thinking that Brett Hundley is the only prospect after JW and MM that has the potential for becoming franchise QB. Yes, he's obviously very raw. But you're picking him in the 3rd round. Now if Hundley isn't there in the 3rd, my backup plan would be drafting a late round developmental guy like Brandon Bridge with some great measurables and raw ability.

Edited by 1billsfan

I say yes...

And I say it should be Brandon Bridge. From what I've seen and read he has elite physical tools but is very raw at this point. Looks like he has the potential to develop into a Kaepernick kind of player.. which obviously would be good for a Greg Roman offense. If we can get him in RD 6 or 7 and let him sit and learn the next few years he could be a gem. If not.. no big loss.

Check out this writeup ...

http://nflmocks.com/2015/02/03/brandon-bridge-2015-nfl-scouting-report/

What does everyone think? Is there a developmental QB on your radar we should know about?

Brandon Bridge has more developing to do than Jeff Tuel, who is already 2 years into his development. Whaley has said that late-round picks will not make this team, so I would rather use the two 6th round picks, or a 6th and a 7th, to move back into the 5th for someone they want and can use, like another OG or a project OLB like Lynden Trail...something along those lines.

No QB they draft this year will see the field, so I rather not have another QB taking reps in practice...build up the rest of the roster and it's depth, so it's ready for a 1st round QB next year.

say no to qb's after the 3rd round. they're never worth it. in the last 16 years only two have been good. Sirius had a big segment on this a while back. Brady and Fitzpatrick are the best two QB's taken late in the NFL after the 3rd.

I didn't catch Sirius segment. Brady is in a class by himself. However, if we're bringing up Fitzpatrick-level guys: David Garrard (2002, 4th); Kyle Orton (2005, 4th), Kirk Cousins (2012, 4th), Mark Bulger (2000, 6th), Matt Cassel (2005, 7th).

After Brady, I would say David Garrard and Mark Bulger were the best of the lot. Bulger probably ahead of Garrard - he ousted Kurt Warner as the captain of the "Greatest Show on Turf" and went to the playoffs twice, probowl twice ( not same years) before succumbing to the abuse he took under Mad Martz pass-crazy offensive system. After 4 years or so on the bench, Garrard put up 4 to 5 pretty durn good years for a bad team in Jax before succumbing to a series of career-ending back and other injuries. (Aside: I'm not sure which is worse, to be a Bills fan and have the team never draft a QB or to be a Jax fan and have the team spend 1st round picks on Byron Leftwich and Blaine Gabbert.)

Orton, Cassel, and Fitz are about on the same level and I guess I feel weird that now they've all QB'd the Bills. Maybe Cousins is next?

Anyway, not sure where the Sirius segment was coming from naming just Brady and Fitz.

The odds are about 1 in 10 of getting a guy who can play at the NFL level for the 6th and 7th round (not Magical Franchise Man, just a guy who can play). More like 1 in 5 in the 3rd through 4th round.

The good news is that we won't be able to draft a developmental QB in the 1st round this year...

Because you got Garrapolo last year?

I don't expect him to be a starter but if he develops good for us if not no biggie

not at QB , OL shaky too

What do you think of Jerry Lovelocke? I hope you hate him.

say no to qb's after the 3rd round. they're never worth it. in the last 16 years only two have been good. Sirius had a big segment on this a while back. Brady and Fitzpatrick are the best two QB's taken late in the NFL after the 3rd.

what about Bulger? He wasn't great but he was serviceable.

The good news is that we won't be able to draft a developmental QB in the 1st round this year...

that actually is good news.