Bills Big Spender - calculated or reckless?

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/18178/bills-dish-out-nfl-high-91-5-million-guaranteed-this-offseason

Call it a calculated spending spree, call it reckless. Either way, the Buffalo Bills have spent more than any NFL team this offseason.

Hey Big Spender ....

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got the cash and you've got the cap room (for the players) then why not spend it? As has been proven over and over again, cap issues rarely occur anymore with the big bump it gets every year and the ability to re-structure deals. The only person on that list that I think we may have overspent on is Clay, but we have the ability to eat up that extra cash so I'm fine with it (not to mention we took him away from a division rival).

Edited by Mark80

You just have to be smart about who you give that cash to. As the Redskins and Dolphins have shown, just going after big names for the sake of it is not the best approach. I trust Whaley and his team and Overdorf to formulate an exact plan and do their best to execute it. Sometimes that includes a big name or two sometimes it doesn't.

We'll see next year. If these signings pan out and we can sign our core guys next year - it's fine. If not, it's not. It's a bit of a concern as the history of teams that sign a lot of high priced talent in FA usually doesn't pan out. But with this coaching staff and FO, and a well thought out plan, this could be the exception!

Not sure why it would be considered reckless. Cap numbers turned out great and we acquired some good talent. Isn't that what teams are supposed to do?

cuz the story was By Mike Rodak ???

We'll see next year. If these signings pan out and we can sign our core guys next year - it's fine. If not, it's not. It's a bit of a concern as the history of teams that sign a lot of high priced talent in FA usually doesn't pan out. But with this coaching staff and FO, and a well thought out plan, this could be the exception!

you mean THIS year. 2015 season

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's a bit of a concern as the history of teams that sign a lot of high priced talent in FA usually doesn't pan out.

to be fair, our top 3 were hughes (resigning our own), clay (a valid question) and a trade for mccoy (i suppose counts though we acquired him with a 3 year existing deal and decided to re-work it).

you could include percy, but under a 1 year deal, its hardly a long term commitment with long term consequence.

The only move that wasn't calculated was Harvin. That money was reserved for an offensive linemen.

By their own admission LeSean was not calculated. Of course they were ready to spend at least half of that money anyway.

You just have to be smart about who you give that cash to. As the Redskins and Dolphins have shown, just going after big names for the sake of it is not the best approach. I trust Whaley and his team and Overdorf to formulate an exact plan and do their best to execute it. Sometimes that includes a big name or two sometimes it doesn't.

What I find interesting is before the Pegula's purchased the Bills, a lot of people wanted to crucify Overdorf along with a few others regarding Cap management, and now many of those same people are saying they trust Overdorf to get things right. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you were one of them, I just find it interesting that you mention Overdorf.

BigPappy

What I find interesting is before the Pegula's purchased the Bills, a lot of people wanted to crucify Overdorf along with a few others regarding Cap management, and now many of those same people are saying they trust Overdorf to get things right. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you were one of them, I just find it interesting that you mention Overdorf.

BigPappy

Everyone knew that anyone linked to the old regime and 15 year drought had to be fired and paraded down Delaware Ave. in shame as revenge for screwing up so much. That included Whaley and Brandon. Anyone still feel that way?

By their own admission LeSean was not calculated. Of course they were ready to spend at least half of that money anyway.

I think they were not anticipating McCoy being available. However, I think they were definitely looking to acquire an upgrade at running back, and had probably determined who might be available in free agency and how much they were willing to spend. So, while the availability of McCoy wasn't anticipated and the transaction occurred very quickly once the opportunity arose, I believe it was still a very calculated move.

BigPappy

I remember that well. I never felt the need to lambaste Overdorff simply because I'm obviously not privy to what's truly going on, so why even comment. I guess with me it's more that I trust Whaley's and the Pegula's trust in Overdorff more than I do. And that's only really because Overdorff is a behind the scenes guy, so one can't really get much of a read on him other than second hand commentary from others in the organization.