Whaley not happy Bills haven't done more to address OL

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would I be correct in projecting that our starting O-Line will look like this?

LT-Glenn

LG-Incognito

C-Wood

RG-Urbik

RT-Henderson

thats probably worst case scenario which is still better than last year with Pears and Richardson, and with a better coaching staff/scheme

Why is it you think he's pointing fingers. He's saying he accomplished some but not all of what he wanted

yeah I think he's taking accountability publically and basically putting it out there that there is work to be done on the OL. I'd rather hear that than "we're good, my work is done, I got some playmakers and signed hughes" Edited by YoloinOhio

Whaley: Offensive line a 'loss' in otherwise winning offseason for Bills

@viccarucci: Doug Whaley not happy #Bills didn't do more to address OL: http://t.co/0YBcGeTMEf

Well at least he's being honest, I can respect that. Buddy would have been offering up dilusional bragging about everythings great after picking up some chargers cast offs or targeting sec players in the upcoming draft.

But that said I do think they put the cart before the horse targeting a big ticket running back instead of fixing the line first. Line of course also needed for what will be a mediocre QB too. My concern is our 2015 O will look a lot like 2014, as only an Aaron rodgers, Russell Wilson, or andre w luck type can deal with a line that consistently collapses

Edited by JTSP

Those Pro Football Focus ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I think Urbik's hit the nail on the head -- they had him at something like 56th out of 80 at guard. Does that mean:

A. he was one of the worst starting guards in football

B. he was one of the best backup guards in football

C. both of the above

Since there are 64 regular starting guards, I vote C. So that's not good, but it's not Richardson/Pears-style terrible.

And if Incognito can be roughly average (and I don't see why he can't be), that's a huge upgrade over Pears (I do realize they'll be playing opposite sides of center, but you get my point)

Allow for Glenn to have a better season (it's his contract year) and for either Seantrel to improve a bit or CK to take over, and I think we have reason to expect a significantly improved O line. Still below average? Yeah, probably. But not one of the worst O lines in football, which is what we were last year. And there's still time to find another guy out there. I am not a fan of drafting a couple more O lineman -- when you have so many inexperienced backups, there's no effective depth. But one guy with our 2nd round pick? Sure, why not.

Urbik played last year at LG, whereas he's been a good RG for the Bills prior to that. Put him back at RG and he'll be fine.

What I think Whaley wanted was top guys at the positions of concern, like Evans at RG or Bulaga at RT. Which is fine since if you don't have all-pros at every spot, you can stand to improve.

And yes, as this is a recurring discussion, it is a possibility if both CK and Henderson step up. Seantrel had a terrible year, but great potential. I would feel much less comfortable with this plan for the first unit OL going into camp, but would be fine with this coming to fruition if they showed up big in camp.

I agree Seantrel had a terrible year, but I wonder where you see the potential? I guess everyone has potential, but he got worse as the season wore on, maybe new coach/system will help but I think the Bills are looking for a new tackle before another guard.

And yes, as this is a recurring discussion, it is a possibility if both CK and Henderson step up. Seantrel had a terrible year, but great potential. I would feel much less comfortable with this plan for the first unit OL going into camp, but would be fine with this coming to fruition if they showed up big in camp.

I somewhat disagree with you.

Cyril Richardson had a terrible year.

Seantrel Henderson, while he had bad moments, was mostly serviceable last year.

LT-Glenn

LG-Incognito

C-Wood

RG-Urbik

RT-Henderson

I think there's a chance we see a shake up based on Glenn kicking inside. From everything I've seen, he's just not the tackle that fits Roman's style/scheme.

LT- Henderson or draft pick

LG- Glenn

C- Wood

RG- Incognito

RT- CK

I agree Seantrel had a terrible year, but I wonder where you see the potential? I guess everyone has potential, but he got worse as the season wore on, maybe new coach/system will help but I think the Bills are looking for a new tackle before another guard.

I think it'll be nice to have CK and Seantrel go into camp in competition in front of a new coaching staff w a top notch o-line coach. Same thing goes w Cyril...he was a road-grader type comin out of college and I certainly feel hell be better at a man blocking scheme then a zone block scheme. It seems as though incognito will win a spot so let Rich battle it out with Urbik, who a cpl years ago looked pretty good. I'm pretty sure there will be a cpl more bodies added to that group as well. With Whaley coming out and saying this I'm positive he's open for all types of business when it comes to upgrading the position. For all we know they're talking to Mario or whomever to get cap space to open up a spot for Mathis or another cap casualty or trade. I have faith for the first time in a long time...we have the right owner and right GM to get this baby finally on the right track.

LT-Glenn

LG-Incognito

C-Wood

RG-Urbik

RT-Henderson

I seriously doubt it. I'm willing to bet it is more like this:

LT-Draft pick

LG-Glenn

C-Wood

RG-Incognito

RT-Henderson

Jake Fisher......right offensive tackle.....Oregon

Yes, this is the draft pick I am envisioning as the Bills' starting left tackle this coming season.

I haven't heard much about Richardson this offseason, but Kouandjio is working his ass off. Henderson obviously has some talent or he wouldn't have started. I'm really hoping they develope one or two of these guys.

I can't believe people are so quick to give up on these guys. There are countless examples of guys taking a couple of years to look like they belong. Mckelvin, bradham, Hughes, and hogan are all such players.

I can't believe we would bet the season on these guys completely turning it around.

Whaley: Offensive line a 'loss' in otherwise winning offseason for Bills

@viccarucci: Doug Whaley not happy #Bills didn't do more to address OL: http://t.co/0YBcGeTMEf

Personally I think it's a step forward to read that Whaley admits that. Previously we would have heard that the Bills think the answer at OG is already on the team (eg one of last year's under-performers).

I'm glad to hear that the Bills were trying for Jahri Evans. It seems to me that some FA talent on OL is out there, and I'm not sure we need Harvin more than one of those guys. On the other hand, the Bills last 3 attempts to find OG talent in the mid-tier FA marketplace didn't exactly fill me with hope and joy.

We won last year with less talent on offense. Get the ball out quick into your playmakers' hands and let them make plays.

That was Chan Gailey's idea, and the OL immediately looked better with Fitz driving than with Trentative, because Fitz did just that.

What is there about Roman's offense and our playmakers/QB that leads you to believe that'll work for us now? McCoy is a skill runner. He needs blocking. Cassel is a decent player as a system QB, run first and pass opportunistically just enough to keep the defense honest.

While they would have to move cap dollars around (i.e., restructure Eric Wood, cut Chris Williams after June 1), they could probably take on another veteran contract if someone came available.

This may be just Whaley's way of getting the word out to other teams that he's open for business...

I wondered about that, too.