With us all in on the Ground and Pound: Taylor will start

Too much has been made of the "ground and pound" phrase and promise. It's more of a mentality of willpower than of actual strategic execution. There are two things you can do with a football on offense. You can run or you can throw. I have a suspicion we'll be doing a little bit of both. Call me crazy!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we signed Rex and I heard his opening presser about the running game, I saw the OC we brought in with Roman, I saw the player pool available at QB.

I felt the Bills would be going all in with running game. Far beyond the level most coaches take it. I thought we we would lead the league in rushing attempts and do it in a diverse way. Which for me meant a hybrid NFL/College offense. A lot of read option, jet sweeps, and things Roman did with the 49ers. Then I thought we would have our power sets, FB/TE, conventional I-Form, utilize the PA passing game out of it. The focus being when the QB is asked to throw it's almost always in viable PA situations, 3rd and shorts, and other circumstances that we could minimize his reads or potential for turnovers.

Now that the off-season has played out, this picture I had of the Bills offense is turning into a carbon copy of what I expected. Shady gives us a lot of diversity in the option run game, power run game, and passing game. He's a do it all center piece I envisioned, I just didn't expect they would go this high end for that centerpiece. Felton is available for our power sets, as is Clay. Harvin adds some great diversity. He can run those jet sweeps, screens, and complimentary option play that can extend off traditional read option concepts.

The only thing I pictured needing that we didn't have for this offense to work was an extremely dynamic runner at QB. Manuel is mobile and can make plays with his feet. He is not dynamic. This type of offense needs more then a mobile QB if your going for the all in version. I didn't picture the Alex Smith version of Roman in SF, rather the CK version, and as these signings progressed it seemed like the CK version was even more likely. Enter Taylor, who immediately comes in being one of the top 3 most dangerous running QB's in football. From the tape I have seen on Taylor, if you can minimize his reads slightly, more playing, less thinking, I feel he could be outstanding. His play making potential and ability to create when things break down is also a thing of beauty.

I think Taylor will start this year and not because I'm selling EJ short or building Taylor up. I just think if you want to be the most run heavy and run dominant team in football, you want that dynamic threat to run at QB. Tyrod is the only player on the roster that teams would have to heavily game plan with in that regard. If he doesn't start, I certainly expect him to be part of package sets.

As a side note, like most, I would like another lineman added. But I do expect some solid development from our existing players in this department as well.

I'm sure he is sooo much better than Geno and vick :doh:

Ground and pound is a marketing phrase. Of course you need to both run and pass but the ability to line up Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy seems like they will throw their fair share. That's a lot speed on the field.

It's not a marketing phrase, it's an attitude.

The FA acquisitions are inconsistent with what many believed the Bills were trying to do on Offense. I think many people will be surprised by how different it will end up being. Ground and pound is not a term I think we'll be using come Augusf.

Reasons? Sammy, Harvin, Woods, Clay...

Shady isn't strictly a Tackle to tackle runner either. We have great options with the extreme athleticism on our offense. I expect a west coast, short pass, screen and draw offense. All signs point to that

Side not: We DO NOT need to add a "big" receiver as many believe

I think EJ will be our starter.

Why? (I think it will be Cassel).

New system to learn for all QBs. New coaching staff not beholden to EJ. I dont think EJ enters camp as the #1, with it being his job to lose.

Cassel, OTOH, can probably learn a new offense faster, based on experience. Not just memorizing the plays, but learning to execute it properly (against certain defenses, the checks, the line-calls, the progressions). He carries a teeny bit more weight with the players, having been a starter a lot.

While I think Cassel starts...I think we should all be rooting for EJ Manuel to take that step forward

or a couple steps, to come up and join the NFL.

Edited by maddenboy

I think EJ will be our starter.

I agree...on a personal level, I don't care, I just want a QB who can do the job.

What I don't understand is why someone like Taylor, who's done nothing, proved nothing, and was more raw coming out of college (where he accomplished less than EJ) is all of a sudden a better option than EJ on this board to so many people. Taylor has intrigue, and I get that and I am curious as anyone, but its amazing how much people will bash EJ on mechanics and stuff and then praise a QB with worse mechanics as the guy who will take his job.

EJ is by far the more ready to play than Taylor...doesnt mean Taylor can't win the job now that he will finally be truly competing for a job (He was never competing with Flacco obviously), but its crazy to me how some can be so high on him and so down on EJ.

More puzzling to me is that EJ works harder than anyone can ask and has been nothing but a model player and all in on the Bills success whether he was playing or not. Yet so many here grossly exaggerate his struggles and refuse to acknowledge his bright moments. His stats are better in his first 14 games than many of the greats, yet people disregard him like he was Ryan Leaf or Danny Wuerfel.

Im not saying EJ is the answer...Im just not also saying he's not. The kid has shown a hell of a lot more than Taylor has, so it puzzles me how people have more faith in Taylor with worse mechanics, worse resume, and no NFL relevant experience (who's also done nothing in the very brief moments on the field). Taylor may very well win the job, but looking at the 3 QBs most likely competing for the starting job today, its pretty clear to me he's the long shot as we sit today.

To me, Tyrod is the kind of guy that can come into a game midway (say after an injury, or a game that is getting away), and because he is a wildcard, can mount a quick comeback. He might be alright for a game or 2 while the starter is out injured.

Cassel is the game managing vet, a guy that if the starter is out for the season (or has sucked so bad that he is benched), is there to lead the team, and finish the season, ala Orton.

I'm sure the other guys will be given a look, but EJM is the starter, with Cassel the fall-back option.

Roman has a diversely talented set of skill position players to design upon - this includes the QB position.

i'm thinking that each set of designs he creates for the multiple personnel pkgs this pool of players affords him, will be designed to be executed by the QB who has the most diversity in his game. that includes solid play from the pocket (mechanics, presence, ability to extend plays), and the ability to threaten the defense with his athleticism (read option, inside zone, play option pass, bootlegs). now keep in mind.. just the 'threat' of a QB breaking containment in an offense loaded with talent is a huge concern, defensively - and has to be accounted for.

whoever Roman breaks camp with, will be the three who are able to perform well in more of his designs than who's left behind

and his starter will perform better in more of his designs than the other two

without having seen Taylor (other than college clips), i'd think that Manuel is the most well-rounded of the three.

but if Taylor isn't a train wreck in the pocket, and Cassel and Tuel can move well enough outside the pocket to draw defenders - it will be a heckuva competition.

What I don't understand is why someone like Taylor, who's done nothing, proved nothing, and was more raw coming out of college (where he accomplished less than EJ) is all of a sudden a better option than EJ on this board to so many people. Taylor has intrigue, and I get that and I am curious as anyone, but its amazing how much people will bash EJ on mechanics and stuff and then praise a QB with worse mechanics as the guy who will take his job.

Tyrod went to the Orange Bowl every season he played but 1, EJ went once. And the only time they got to play head to head VT (and Tyrod) won. In fact, here are the stat lines from that game:

EJ Manuel: 23/31 for 288 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, QBR 55.0, 11 Carries for 9 Yards

Tyrod Taylor: 18/28 for 263 Yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, QBR 92.5, 11 Carries for 24 Yards and a TD

Maybe it was a bad game for EJ and a good game for Taylor, it was after all just 1 game. Also worth noting they finished with the exact same Career Passer Efficiency Rating (150.4) tying them for 5th all time in the ACC.

At this point I'll doubt EJ even gets a chance to compete for backup QB, he'll prolly will end up having to fight it out with Tuel for 3rd.

Listening to the interviews of the up front bills people I dont think that is the case

It is going to require EJ to play the style he was playing in the first year where he actually would take off and run when needed........but I think that he is going to be a legit opportunity

It will be a competition......and EJ will have to show that he is willing to "sing it" and willing to scramble and not be afraid to do so....if he does those things this will be a interesting competiton....because Cassel plays from the pocket.....

Taylor to me is a wildcat QB.....which actually has its place on a Rex Ryan team

Look I get the optimistic outlook on Taylor, but he is simply just not of the prototypical size or accuracy percentage required for a QB to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. I like the guy and admire his competitive nature but I can't see Rex Ryan starting Tyrod Taylor over EJ Manuel who is going into his 3rd year and is largely untested as a starting QB. EJ Manuel wins in accuracy, size, and experience as he played more regular season games at a younger age.

Look I get the optimistic outlook on Taylor, but he is simply just not of the prototypical size or accuracy percentage required for a QB to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. I like the guy and admire his competitive nature but I can't see Rex Ryan starting Tyrod Taylor over EJ Manuel who is going into his 3rd year and is largely untested as a starting QB. EJ Manuel wins in accuracy, size, and experience as he played more regular season games at a younger age.

It all depends on who plays best. We can compare stats and starts and everything else we want, but this offseason we get to see which QB makes the most plays and least mistakes with the exact same players around him while facing the exact same defense. I love that Tyrod went to VT, but if EJ does those things better I won't be upset at all. I just hope it's one of those 2 and not Cassel for our future's sake.

Somewhere I read that the Ravens weren't happy with Taylor's accuracy.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did some sub packages with him but I'm expecting either Cassel to start or EJ to beat him out by making a leap forward this year.

We need a QB who can distribute the ball to Harvin, Watkins, Woods and Clay.

Otherwise, ground-and-pound will see nothing but 8 man fronts. And our OL isn't good enough to handle that.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did some sub packages with him but I'm expecting either Cassel to start or EJ to beat him out by making a leap forward this year.

Otherwise, ground-and-pound will see nothing but 8 man fronts. And our OL isn't good enough to handle that.

This

At this point I'll doubt EJ even gets a chance to compete for backup QB, he'll prolly will end up having to fight it out with Tuel for 3rd.

disconnect. if they aren't thinking of RG3 in June then they are thinking EJ

The key is going to be able to read the defense.

Bills have too many weapons not to get the opposing D off balance. and mismatched

I agree...on a personal level, I don't care, I just want a QB who can do the job.

EJ is by far the more ready to play than Taylor...doesnt mean Taylor can't win the job now that he will finally be truly competing for a job (He was never competing with Flacco obviously), but its crazy to me how some can be so high on him and so down on EJ.

More puzzling to me is that EJ works harder than anyone can ask and has been nothing but a model player and all in on the Bills success whether he was playing or not. Yet so many here grossly exaggerate his struggles and refuse to acknowledge his bright moments. His stats are better in his first 14 games than many of the greats, yet people disregard him like he was Ryan Leaf or Danny Wuerfel.

Im not saying EJ is the answer...Im just not also saying he's not. The kid has shown a hell of a lot more than Taylor has, so it puzzles me how people have more faith in Taylor with worse mechanics, worse resume, and no NFL relevant experience (who's also done nothing in the very brief moments on the field). Taylor may very well win the job, but looking at the 3 QBs most likely competing for the starting job today, its pretty clear to me he's the long shot as we sit today.

If we're bringing up college, Tyrod is 2-0 vs. EJ. And Russel Wilson. Just sayin.