My Mock Draft after Charles Clay Signing

But that's just throwing away draft picks. You have four starters from last year plus Richie. Backups of Kujo, Richardson, Urbik. That's eight so room for one more player to make roster, assuming they cut Williams. You binr in more than one in the draft and likely someone else is getting cut. Until you know one of these rookies for certain isn't going to work out, should keep them. If you keep drafting players, and trhen the next year draft his replacement, you'll never get ahead.

Maybe (Id say probably), but investing in the trenches is never a bad idea when 1) the rest of your roster is pretty set, and 2) there isnt a QB available.

The good news is Whaley has us set to go BPA if we want, but Im sure they are looking at the long list of FAs we'll have next year and already planning on finding some insurance on those players.

Whaley seems to be a LB guru so I wouldnt be surprised to see a pick there in somewhere in the 2-4 round range as well.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone else wants to do it this way, fanspeak is what I used. I don't fully agree with any of the big boards, but I find the Composite board to be the most in line. Anyway, here's where I sit based on how the cards fell on that site.

50 - R2P18
OT JAKE FISHER
OREGON
81 - R3P17
TE CLIVE WALFORD
MIAMI (FLA.)
147 - R5P19
OLB GENEO GRISSOM
OKLAHOMA
172 - R6P12
S IBRAHEIM CAMPBELL
NORTHWESTERN
178 - R6P18
C SHAQUILLE MASON
GEORGIA TECH
209 - R7P17
QB CODY FAJARDO
NEVADA

Everything I've seen has us still having both, not sure on the details though, honestly.

I liked your idea so I had a go at it. I wouldn't be mad at all if our draft looked something like this.

50: R2P18
ILB STEPHONE ANTHONY
CLEMSON
81: R3P17
TE MAXX WILLIAMS
MINNESOTA
147: R5P19
OT ROB HAVENSTEIN
WISCONSIN
172: R6P12
DT MARCUS HARDISON
ARIZONA STATE
178: R6P18
CB QUANDRE DIGGS
TEXAS
209: R7P17
DE ZACK WAGENMANN
MONTANA

Teams that don't have a qb should usually always draft one at some point. If petty is there in rd 3, i suspect they'll take him.

Ok but we have 4. Plus Rex loves Tyrod. I wouldn't expect to see a QB.

Rnd 2: Cedric Ogbuehi OT Texas A&M: Will be ready for training camp (ACL). Will drop in draft because of injury. Top 20 talent.

Rnd 3: Ali Marpet OG Hobart: Stock rising and posted best overall numbers at combine.

Rnd 5: Clayton Geathers SS Central Florida: Can play both safety positions and averaged over 100 tackles the last three years.

Rnd 6: Rory Anderson TE South Carolina: Under used TE with good sizes and speed. A steal in the 6th rnd.

Rnd 6: Kyle Loomis P Portland State: Best punter in draft. Enough said.

Rnd 7: Tyeler Davison DT Fresno State: A quality run defender with some pass rushing abilities. 8 sacks in 2014.

Wouldn't waste a pick on a punter. We don't even need one.

Like the OL focus :thumbsup:

I'd be very happy if Obguehi falls to us at #50... however..I think it's highly unlikely he falls that far.. I doubt he'll make it past Cleveland at #19.

An alternative RT who will most likely be available at #50 that I like is Daryl Williams, OT Oklahoma - 6'5" / 327 lbs. Below is a scouting report from ESPN Insider for Williams

Production 2 2010: Redshirt 2011: (9/1) ROT 2012: (10/10) ROT2013: (13/13) ROT (Started at LOT vs. Alabama) Height-Weight-Speed 3 Slightly below-average estimated height but appears to have long arms on tape. Also looks to have a thick frame with above-average estimated bulk. Estimated top-end speed is slightly below average. Durability 3 Suffered a sprained MCL in his knee against West Virginia in 2012 and missed the final three games of the season including the team's bowl game. Intangibles 2 Son of Lamesa and Jason Hindman. Accountable and handles his business. Strong work ethic and leadership qualities. Passionate and loves football.

I like Marpet ..especially in the 3rd round... not sure I'd reach for him at #50 though.

You and I are definitely on the same page. Williams is my guy as a sleeper RT in the 3rd round.

A draft of Tomlinson in the 2nd and Williams in the 3rd would be absolutely perfect, although at some point we need to draft for depth at DL and LB.

Maybe (Id say probably), but investing in the trenches is never a bad idea when 1) the rest of your roster is pretty set, and 2) there isnt a QB available.

The good news is Whaley has us set to go BPA if we want, but Im sure they are looking at the long list of FAs we'll have next year and already planning on finding some insurance on those players.

Whaley seems to be a LB guru so I wouldnt be surprised to see a pick there in somewhere in the 2-4 round range as well.

Yes. We could use a LB or 2.

But that's just throwing away draft picks. You have four starters from last year plus Richie. Backups of Kujo, Richardson, Urbik. That's eight so room for one more player to make roster, assuming they cut Williams. You binr in more than one in the draft and likely someone else is getting cut. Until you know one of these rookies for certain isn't going to work out, should keep them. If you keep drafting players, and trhen the next year draft his replacement, you'll never get ahead.

I understand, and pretty much agree with your point. However, if we brought in a talented OG in the 2nd who could be a decent starter this year, I wouldnt have any problem with them cutting Richardson. He was a 5th round pick, so he was a gamble at best. Im not saying Richardson deserves to be cut, or that I dont think he can develop. Im just talking about the value of what we have invested in him to this point. A lot of 5-7 round draft picks dont even make their team their rookie year anyways, and its more of a pleasant surprise if they do end up turning into a decent player.

And if that 2nd round OG worked out that well, Williams would most likely be gone too.

We definitely have room to upgrade without wasting too much, imo.

You and I are definitely on the same page. Williams is my guy as a sleeper RT in the 3rd round.

A draft of Tomlinson in the 2nd and Williams in the 3rd would be absolutely perfect, although at some point we need to draft for depth at DL and LB.

I'd love to get Tomlinson in rd 2.. I think if he slips by the Giants at #40 and Rams at #41 we'll have a good shot to land him

In that scenario.. Williams is probably still available in rd 3.

I say bring 'em in and let 'em compete with the draft class from last year.. may the best men win.

if we get spikes in then yes we can go BPA. He may be cut in camp or he may only play 15 snaps a game but he offers us a chance to go forward. Imagine last year not having him after Alonso went down?

I'd love to get Tomlinson in rd 2.. I think if he slips by the Giants at #40 and Rams at #41 we'll have a good shot to land him

In that scenario.. Williams is probably still available in rd 3.

I say bring 'em in and let 'em compete with the draft class from last year.. may the best men win.

Agreed.

If we go guard in round 2, I'm fine with either Cann or Tomlinson...I wouldn't find value in any other guards that high. The next guard I like is Jarvis Harrison of Texas A&M, who I feel really confident will be on the board in round 3.

I liked your idea so I had a go at it. I wouldn't be mad at all if our draft looked something like this.

50: R2P18

ILB STEPHONE ANTHONY

CLEMSON

81: R3P17

TE MAXX WILLIAMS

MINNESOTA

147: R5P19

OT ROB HAVENSTEIN

WISCONSIN

172: R6P12

DT MARCUS HARDISON

ARIZONA STATE

178: R6P18

CB QUANDRE DIGGS

TEXAS

209: R7P17

DE ZACK WAGENMANN

MONTANA

I like both of the above mocks, however, I'm not sure the top 2 TEs in the draft will be there in round 3

Agreed.

If we go guard in round 2, I'm fine with either Cann or Tomlinson...I wouldn't find value in any other guards that high. The next guard I like is Jarvis Harrison of Texas A&M, who I feel really confident will be on the board in round 3.

Yeah.. after Cann and Tomlinson no Guards I see are worth 2nd round pick.

If anyone else wants to do it this way, fanspeak is what I used. I don't fully agree with any of the big boards, but I find the Composite board to be the most in line. Anyway, here's where I sit based on how the cards fell on that site.

50 - R2P18
OT JAKE FISHER
OREGON
81 - R3P17
TE CLIVE WALFORD
MIAMI (FLA.)
147 - R5P19
OLB GENEO GRISSOM
OKLAHOMA
172 - R6P12
S IBRAHEIM CAMPBELL
NORTHWESTERN
178 - R6P18
C SHAQUILLE MASON
GEORGIA TECH
209 - R7P17
QB CODY FAJARDO
NEVADA

Everything I've seen has us still having both, not sure on the details though, honestly.

If wonder if now that we have Clay we might go Petty in that 3rd round spot

What do you think about the idea of taking some combination of our later round picks and packaging them to move up to grab additional quality over quantity? This roster stacked and it's going to be very hard for a late round pick to make the team at any position. I would personally rather try to move into the fourth or third and end up with 3-5 players from this draft vs. 6. thoughts?

I like both of the above mocks, however, I'm not sure the top 2 TEs in the draft will be there in round 3

We used a site that simulates the draft. So the program is drafting players to each team and when your team comes up, you pick from who is left (the big board). When I saw Williams in Round 3 I grabbed him, but yea, in real life he will probably be gone much sooner.