Rivers in 2016?

I think the Chargers will do all they can to get Mariota. They want that "STAR" QB for the LA market and the plus is he's got huge name recognition on the west coast. There's probably a whole lot going on behind the scenes since Tampa is cooling from Winston and they are probably hearing Mariota doesn't want to go there, he wants to go to the LA Chargers.

Maybe Tampa ends up trading that pick to the Chargers for a few picks. I don't think Tampa wants Winston at all and it probably stems from the female part owner hearing what he said on that cafeteria table top.

Where does Winston end up? Probably to the Jets.

saw on Path to the draft that Chargers brought in Marriota for a work out, which made me think they are thinking about Shopping Rivers.

If I'm Pegs I'm doing whatever it takes to get Rivers on this team as we would be Contenders for sure.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a good chance he's traded, but almost no chance it is to the Bills. They want a new franchise Qb in return. Preferably Mariota. Imo

I don't think he'll be traded (I think they'll franchise him for 2016), but the bold part is spot on. No one is going to trade a top-15 QB for any reason unless they are either a) getting one back in return or b) have another one on the bench ready to take over.

This is why guys like Manning and Newton will be resigned by their teams and sooner or later the Bills must find a QB in the draft.

i wonder what the titans could end up with? rivers and a first? let mettenberger develop or get another guy. titans could turn it around if they draft well

I watched Mettenberger play 2 games. He looks like the real deal & an outright steal from last year's draft. IMHO the Titans will not draft a QB but will trade the pick.

I watched Mettenberger play 2 games. He looks like the real deal & an outright steal from last year's draft. IMHO the Titans will not draft a QB but will trade the pick.

I have heard they are high on him but just wondering if he needs to sit this year? They would be smart to pick up another second this year and a first next year at least and get 3 starters potentially on this years roster and then 3 more next year....would be a huge influx of talent. they need defense bad.

Quite obviously, the Bills have done a great job in improving the team this off-season by adding RB L. McCoy, WR P. Harvin, TE C. Clay, FB J. Shelton, QB M. Cassel, QB T. Taylor, OG R. Incognito, and re-signing DE J. Hughes, but have they done enough?? Enough to win the Super Bowl, enough to win the division, .............even enough to make the payoffs??

Well, many of the NFL pundits would say, "ehhhhhhhhhhhh, no".

That's mostly because there's this pesky team in their division named the NE Patriots.

With that all being said, since the team is clearly going for broke this year, do you think they should try to improve the one position that would actually put them over the top and actually make them the favorite to win the AFC East, a favorite to make the playoffs, and a favorite to make it to the Super Bowl??

Yes, I'm talking about trying to acquire a proven, veteran, high quality QB. One who appears to be available via trade. His name is Phillip Rivers.

The Titans and Chargers are discussing such a trade as we speak.

You put Rivers on the Bills' roster, a roster that many NFL experts readily admit may very well already be the most talented in the entire league, and now you're talking about a true AFCE/playoff/SB contender.

If I'm Double D (Dealer Doug), I'm searching for a way to make this happen (within reason of course).

Your thoughts??

I don't disagree with you but a couple issues:

1. Would Rivers want to move his family to Buffalo - apparently this is his big sticking point in the LA move

2. We would need to give up a lot - we don't have much we want to give up besides future draft picks - hurting our young/low cap strategy in the future

3. We would have to find a way to pay his salary - I'm not sure there is enough re-structuring/cutting to get us under the cap

4. It would make it difficult to sign Marcel

Rumors of Titans interested in doing something THIS year..but they have way more cap money AND the second overall pick. the Bills would have to cut ,whom, to fit Rivers under the cap? Mario?Clay, Kyle, Dareus and Gilmore? It would defeat the purpose

I'de trade our next 3 1st round picks for him without thinking twice. Rivers our QB in 15,16,17, and 18. We draft his replacement in 2019 draft. The team would be Super Bowl contenders for 4 years.

Rumors of Titans interested in doing something THIS year..but they have way more cap money AND the second overall pick. the Bills would have to cut ,whom, to fit Rivers under the cap? Mario?Clay, Kyle, Dareus and Gilmore? It would defeat the purpose

No major cut. Extend Mario is all that's needed. Extend Dareus also could create room. Trade EJ. Edited by TheTruthHurts

I'de trade our next 3 1st round picks for him without thinking twice. Rivers our QB in 15,16,17, and 18. We draft his replacement in 2019 17 draft. The team would be Super Bowl contenders for 4 years.

We want QBs to sit for a while and marinate, right?

Rivers isn't coming to Buffalo. It would be great. But he's not coming.

I am not buying his anti-LA stance either. I live in LA, and have spent enough time driving up and down the coast to San Diego, to know there is virtually no difference (culturally, architecturally, etc) between any place south of Long Beach, and San Diego. It's one long, homogeneous stretch, of suburban whitey-ville. If that really is a concern for him, he is truly out of his mind, and living with blinders on.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Who the heck is saying we have Cap space next year?

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE Rivers, but we would have to let at least 1 key player walk next year to snag him. And i don't mean someone who's been just holding down the fort, but is constantly playing at a high level.

Who the heck is saying we have Cap space next year?

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE Rivers, but we would have to let at least 1 key player walk next year to snag him. And i don't mean someone who's been just holding down the fort, but is constantly playing at a high level.

Yes and a QB is the only position worth that sacrifice.

Rivers isn't coming to Buffalo. It would be great. But he's not coming.

I am not buying his anti-LA stance either. I live in LA, and have spent enough time driving up and down the coast to San Diego, to know there is virtually no difference (culturally, architecturally, etc) between any place south of Long Beach, and San Diego. It's one long, homogeneous stretch, of suburban whitey-ville. If that really is a concern for him, he is truly out of his mind, and living with blinders on.

Living in LA I'm sure you've come across plenty of people who live in the valley/west side/OC who would hate living elsewhere in the city -- let alone San Diego. I imagine the same would apply for some folks living in San Diego when they think of Los Angeles.

That said, I agree with you that it's nuts. But if it helps Buffalo get a QB like Rivers, I'm all for nutty.

Ya.... 1 of those people would possibly be our starting LT...... lets make another hole on the OL. GOOD CALL COACH. I don't know if you can note my sarcasm.

Rivers is good, but I would not trade him for losing 2 of the following:

Marcell Dareus

Stephon Gilmore

Nigel Bradham

Cordy Glenn

Robert Woods

Leodis McKelvin

This doesn't even cover the fact that I'm not mentioning people who playing this year for the starting job or important backups and if they become key cogs to the team we end up with more issues:

Percy Harvin

Richie Incognito

Anthony Dixon

Jarius Wynn

Ron Brooks

Duke Williams

Johnathan Meeks

Nickell Robey

Bacarri Rambo

Stefan Charles

Chris Hogan

Corbin Bryant

Tell me again how much cap room we have. I didn't even bother listing 2/3rd of our TE's who also have to be paid over the next two years. Assuming a raise of the cap to 150 million, and only 5 million being spent on draft picks (really low amount it here but makes my math easier) We have 20 Million to work with . So you would go get Rivers, and possibly let go of 2 starting Oline men and possibly more?

Looking at at best case scenarios, Incognito takes C.Williams contract and that becomes a wash. Mario Williams restructures and the money saved allows us to maintain Dareus. The hate on this board for McKelvin is built rightfully so, however last year he made an amazing leap forward in terms of ability and play level. If he keeps it up this year, It would be hard to say oh just drop him, considering our mixed bag of depth at CB/S.

I would love Rivers, but 1) we can't truly afford him 2) he doesn't want to come up here it would cost us even more money to convince him to and at his age, and the options he has, he would have no reason to take more money to go somewhere he doesn't want too.

Edited by RK_BillsFan