Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am over getting frustrated by waiting. It isn't like they have a game to play and Clay isn't there. I hope that they land him and it is on a team friendly deal regardless of how long it takes. Charles Clay could be a real difference maker on this team.

What is your concern with the cap? What are they foregoing in order to sign Clay?

This is never ending Kirby

This is never ending Kirby

Yeah, you are right. It is a totally different argument if they had to decide between Clay and Wisniewski for example, but they don't. The Bills have managed the cap, dare I say, flawlessly to this point. They still have the requisite cap space to finish off the roster building and maintain the flexibility to go after a player that may hit the market down the road. In addition, they have some tools in their back pocket (ie Mario restructure & Urbik/C. Williams release) that can open up even more room without doing any damage. The cap is not an issue at all (at this point) regardless of what the offer for Clay looks like, despite what that great football mind Mike Rodak may be writing. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am over getting frustrated by waiting. It isn't like they have a game to play and Clay isn't there. I hope that they land him and it is on a team friendly deal regardless of how long it takes. Charles Clay could be a real difference maker on this team.

What is your concern with the cap? What are they foregoing in order to sign Clay?

If we spend $9 million on Clay it may prevent us from signing an impact OL like Wisniewski. That's what concerns me. If we can have it all, well, great. Not so sure we can, but I'm no capologist

Man, that post about having until April 24th sure has put the kibbosh on this thread.

Sort of like Ex-lax, it's opened TSW's bowels to a wave of Tebow and other byproduct threads...

Edited by Lurker

If we spend $9 million on Clay it may prevent us from signing an impact OL like Wisniewski. That's what concerns me. If we can have it all, well, great. Not so sure we can, but I'm no capologist

Don't be concerned. There are top men on the cap situation. The Bills have acquired a number of players so far. The ones that got away was not because of money. They preferred to stay with their current teams.

do we want Miami to remove the tag though? if they do that then Clay can sign with anyone he chooses. at least with the tag it's between us (if he chooses our offer sheet) and the Dolphins need to match it

Doesn't really matter. Clay is not limited to the Dolphins and Bills as he can sign with whomever he chooses NOW. Once he does that Miami has 5 days to decide whether or not to take over that contract.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Doesn't really matter. Clay is not limited to the Dolphins and Bills as he can sign with whomever he chooses NOW. Once he does that Miami has 5 days to decide whether or not to take over that contract.

Sure it does, from our perspective. If he signs an offer sheet from the Browns, then the Bills are out of the picture....

we have more then enough money to sign a top OL and front load a unmatchable offer to Clay and still add some depth moves as well

You can take a deep breath then because they are in fine cap position. There is not a FA left on the market (with the possible exception of Greg Hardy) that the Bills cannot afford in addition to Clay.

Don't care about his personal spending habits, do care about cap space value.

do you think you understand cap value better then NFL teams do? What would you like our salary figure to be? would you like us to be $10 million under, 15?... how about we spend it all and try to improve the team as much as possible.

As far as strategy on waiting, letting Clay sweat works to our advantage. He already saw the Dolphins door shut (in all likelihood), and other potential suitors will eventually start running out of interest and spending room, so as he continues to hold out he may be compelled to take a more affordable offer from us.

This seems to be about negotiation process more than our ability to get a deal now.

do you think you understand cap value better then NFL teams do? What would you like our salary figure to be? would you like us to be $10 million under, 15?... how about we spend it all and try to improve the team as much as possible.

Spend it all buddy!!! I try not to get wrapped up in the cap numbers... I concern myself with our talent.... As long as we are in good shape with the cap- that's all I care... NFL teams have very smart people that crunch the numbers and make that magic work....

"Charles Clay Interest" was on the ticker for ESPN's NFL Insiders just now. So I watched and it was Josina Anderson giving the latest on Charles Clay and the Bills. Which wasn't much of an update, but I figured i'd transcribe it for those interested:

"Well everything i'm hearing (is) the interest is still high, they want to do their due diligence to make sure that the cap numbers still work. They spent some money, obviously, in Free Agency. When I asked the source 'why do you feel like you want to leave MIAMI to come to Buffalo?' and he's like "Well, he has roots there". He went to high school in Arkansas, (he's) kind of a small town guy. It doesn't strike him as very flashy; kinda quiet. And they spent an extra day in Buffalo when they didn't have to. So they want to exploit his versatility, as a runner, as a blocker, and as a catcher. And they feel like they can use him in their pro-style offense".

Edited by BillsFanForever19

If there is anyone remaining that still thinks Miami made those roster moves in the interest of freeing up cap space in order to sign Clay to a new deal, this should remove all doubt.

GO BILLS!!!

Sure it does, from our perspective. If he signs an offer sheet from the Browns, then the Bills are out of the picture....

on that note.. would another team's offer be announced? or just it's acceptance or match?

edit - as in, it would be league protocol to recognize publicly that an offer has been made

Edited by BackInDaDay