[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to see things your way. Call their bluff. Give him the offer that YOU want and see if Miami will match. I'd be surprised if they did.

Fins will sign him and trade Cameron B-)

edit - to the Browns!!!! :D

Edited by BackInDaDay

Question can the following be done??

Assuming Miami doesn't lift the tag as they want to try and mess Buffalo's plans, so we give him an offer. Miami then has five days to match. Can Miami and Clay though instead work out a long term cap friendly deal that would allow them to keep both Cameron and Clay?? Would allow for Clay to kind play the Bill's too by getting a better offer out of Miami. It may come down to where he'd rather play though it seems in most cases the player would rather stay with old team if money is equal.

Or at that point is Miami restricted to the original transition tag offer only and/or matching our offer identically??

I'm starting to see things your way. Call their bluff. Give him the offer that YOU want and see if Miami will match. I'd be surprised if they did.

Clay still has to agree to sign it, though. I doubt his agent allows us to lowball him.

Anything really cap friendly and it would not surprise me to see Miami match. They look to play 2 TEs often and Clay & Cameron could complement each other really well. Wouldn't shock me to see them spend their money on TEs, waive Wallace and draft a WR to put opposite Landry.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I believe at any point in time Miami can also pull the tag as long as Clay hasn't yet signed it.

If he's really feeling the Dolphins are screwing him over he could do thta, but probably not the smartest thing for him to do to get the most money either.

What's the deadline on pulling the tag? How does that work?

Til clay signs it

So, what are the cap consequences to them? Why would they lift it? Does it mean they are guaranteeing him at least some large number like average of top 10 TE's if he were to sign it? How much would it cost them? Leaving us hanging makes sense. If he signs, they have to make the room though, I understand. I don't recall seing the transition tag used that often and don't know quite how it works. (Though it's probably in the thousand plus posts somewhere...)

Man, I wish we could have new threads when news breaks. 56 pages is way too daunting of a task to try and tackle and I have no idea what the status is on Clay.

Jump straight to the last post and read the thread backwards. You quickly get an idea of where things are by doing it that way.

The NFL should just cancel the the season and go with a year-round FA period. This past week has been way more entertaining than 99% of the games last year!

LOL...at least for us.

I doubt fans in most NFL cities are wearing out their F5 keys to the same extent we are...

I'm not so worried about any tag related complication. It's only a matter of time: He was visiting Buffalo for 3 days and then:

@viccarucci: Charles Clay actually returned to South Florida the same way he traveled to Buffalo, via Air Pegula.

Clay still has to agree to sign it, though. I doubt his agent allows us to lowball him.

I'm not suggesting lowballing him. I am suggesting to structure it in the way that serves your cap best. Miami is trying to make the Bills structure it in a way that is most painful to Miami so that they won't match. This isn't in the Bills best interst. They should structure it in the Bills best interest and dare Miami to match.

But is Harvin on deck? I thought he was going to visit the Pats?

He's certainly on the conversation if the Bills can make it work. I would say that they are at least one of the favorites.