Fred Jackson is the Derek Jeter of the Bills

Bocephuz

There is a rarefied group of athletes who reach a special status with a team and community by displaying their work ethic, by being an example for others by the way they carry themselves on and off the field, and by the sacrifices they have made on the field. These special few typically earn the right to go out on their own terms... ie.. they may play a few years past their prime but everyone involved knows letting them play out the string and letting them retire with their long time team is the right thing to do.

Fred Jackson has earned that right.. he is the Derek Jeter of the Bills. Freddy has given up his body time and time again, has fought for extra yards time and time again, has been an emotional leader time and time again, has consistently carried himself properly on and off the field .. and he has been a constant fixture contributing his time to causes in the local community.

Good on the Bills for recognizing this. Think of Ray Lewis is his last year with the Ravens... he was clearly a shell of himself on the field.. however.. his leadership and passion was a key part of the Ravens winning the Super Bowl in 2012. Freddy has a chance to do the same thing with the Bills this year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeebuz. At what point exactly did FJ reach God-like status. It's like Brian Moorman back in the day....

Without the five championships.

I'm half kidding, I love Freddie and it was going to be really tough to watch the team without him on it. But ultimately it is a business and you can't hold on to old flames if there are better players out there. Freddie is not Derek Jeter. He has never won anything, never been to the playoffs, pro bowl, never had a 1,000 yard season even. He was a work horse and who we looked to for belief in this playoff drought but he isn't Derek Jeter. I hope Fred makes it in the wall and gets all the recognition he deserves for his loyally to us but I don't want our owner intervening every time our fans get upset about a player leaving. It's Freddie now but who know what will happen in the future.

Wow! This has gone way past ridiculous. No comparison!

They both do kind of look like 'The Rock had sex with a muppet'

:blink: :blink: :wacko:isn't Jeter despised?

By who.. I'm an Orioles fan.. and I can tell you the one guy who wasn't despised when he came into Camden Yards was Jeter. Texeira was hated, A Rod hated, almost every other Yankee was hated.. but no-one I sat by or had talked to had anything bad to say about Jeter

There is a rarefied group of athletes who reach a special status with a team and community by displaying their work ethic, by being an example for others by the way they carry themselves on and off the field, and by the sacrifices they have made on the field. These special few typically earn the right to go out on their own terms... ie.. they may play a few years past their prime but everyone involved knows letting them play out the string and letting them retire with their long time team is the right thing to do.

Fred Jackson has earned that right.. he is the Derek Jeter of the Bills. Freddy has given up his body time and time again, has fought for extra yards time and time again, has been an emotional leader time and time again, has consistently carried himself properly on and off the field .. and he has been a constant fixture contributing his time to causes in the local community.

Good on the Bills for recognizing this. Think of Ray Lewis is his last year with the Ravens... he was clearly a shell of himself on the field.. however.. his leadership and passion was a key part of the Ravens winning the Super Bowl in 2012. Freddy has a chance to do the same thing with the Bills this year.

Except Jeter has 5 Championship rings and is a 1st ballot Hall-of-Famer......

Edited by nucci

Except Jeter has 5 Championship rings and is a 1st ballot Hall-of-Famer......

Compare the teams Jeter played on to the teams Jackson played on.

And Jeter might indeed make the HOF, but if you look at his numbers they are nothing that special. Part of his skill was playing in New York as a Yankee.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Except Jeter has 4 Championship rings and is a 1st ballot Hall-of-Famer......

I didn't say he was the Derek Jeter of the NFL.. just the Derek Jeter of the Bills. It's all relative.. Relative to anyone else who has played for the Bills in the last 20 years Freddy is arguably the most talented and most beloved Buffalo Bill for on and off the field reasons.

Edited by Bocephuz

If we win one Super Bowl during Fred's time here, he would be on Jeter's level. However, because he didn't, due to zero fault of his own, he's on a slight level below which is still Wall of Fame good. That's just the way it goes. He's definitely a Buffalo legend.

I get people's argument on Jeter's 4 championships, but come on people. It's not like the Yankees had the highest payroll in Baseball with no salary cap during every year of Jeter's career. Is Henri Richard the greatest player of all time because he had 11 Stanley Cup rings? Is Mark Rypien a better QB than Jim Kelly?

I was just thinking the other day, Fred would've been a huge part of any Super Bowl winning team of the past decade. On the Patriots, Fred would be considered a living legend along with Brady and Wilfork. Here, Bills fans say things like "Jeebuz. At what point exactly did FJ reach God-like status. It's like Brian Moorman back in the day....".

Yes, what a wonderful example. Fred Jackson is exactly like Brian Moorman. I'm gonna go bang my head against the wall.