Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

Unfortunately for him, he won't see many years of it if he only plays good or solid with a centerpiece contract. One thing with the bills is if he keeps doing what he's been doing he would, imo, have a better shot of outlasting just the guaranteed money.

Absolutely agree.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he won't... But yea live in fantasy island.

Hardy will likely get north of $8 mil. There's a lot of teams with a lot of money to spend and pass rusher is high on everyones list. Hardy will get a big one year "prove it" contract from someone.

I dont think scheme-fit has anything to do with Hughes and Alonso not being retained since they both did very well under Pettine (who runs a scheme pretty similar to Rex's).

However, I do believe that "Rex's scheme" plays a factor, in that Rex and Whaley are confident that Rex can get very good performance on Defense with a little less talent than we've had in the past couple of years. The coaching on D will make up for losing a guy or two from the 2014 Defense. I agree that they'd rather spend that money improving the much weaker Offensive side of the ball where more talent is needed.

The report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport (go ahead and doubt the veracity of it) indicates Rex did not want Alonso. And it makes sense because LB's in Ryan's defense are called to do different things than even what Pettine required.

Rex Ryan, despite employing Mike Pettine at one time, doesn't do things exactly like MP does. In 2013, Pettine used what he had and Alonso played well.

I've long suspected there was a disconnect between coaches and personnel people before Rex was hired. That, by all appearances, has ended and Rex has the authority to shape the team as he needs.

Hardy will likely get north of $8 mil. There's a lot of teams with a lot of money to spend and pass rusher is high on everyones list. Hardy will get a big one year "prove it" contract from someone.

So from $14 million now down to 8+ million... Hmm...

I think Hardy will be expecting a massive contract. He was tagged last year at $14M, and was coming off a career-best 15 sacks (after getting 11 in '13). He's a premier pass rusher and is only 26.

Robert Quinn got $14M/year in a similar situation. Granted, he wasn't coming off a wasted year, so maybe Hardy is more like $13M.

I would definitely consider this option! Hardy will come back a motivated player. I'd hate for NE to scoop him up

On the field Hardy might actually be an upgrade to Hughes...And that's no knock on Hughes either...Hardy is a beast...All depends on the market for him with the off-field stuff...But goodness our D-line with Hardy, Mario, Kyle, and Dareus... Talk about best D-line in the league...

Again, see Yolo. All the Bills fault.

Who the hell said it was all the Bills fault? Stop over generalizing and making assumptions! Doug Whaley's gone on the record about being confident and optimistic this deal would get done. He waited till the last minute to try and get this done and most likely didn't. I don't blame Hughes one bit and wish him well if he leaves.

So pay the guy a huge contract after his first and only effective NFL season (out of 3) playing alongside the best DL in football?

That...doesn't...make...sense.

In Hughes' case it's a valid point. But the Bills could have worked their asses off to get him signed during the season and they didn't. They've been effusive in praising Hughes in the press and talking about how much they want him back but didn't go "all in" like they do for Rex, Mario, etc. That sends a message your actions don't back up your words

An inside source I used to have with the Browns once told me that impact starting players consider it disrespectful to make them play out their contract year. I certainly understand their feelings.

Doesn't the player have to want to sign here also?

Of course. Being somewhere you clearly feel wanted has to factor in though. They need to get it right with Dareus. If they wait until end of 2015 season to open negotiations he's gone too.

Who the hell said it was all the Bills fault? Stop over generalizing and making assumptions! Doug Whaley's gone on the record about being confident and optimistic this deal would get done. He waited till the last minute to try and get this done and most likely didn't. I don't blame Hughes one bit and wish him well if he leaves.

In Hughes' case it's a valid point. But the Bills could have worked their asses off to get him signed during the season and they didn't. They've been effusive in praising Hughes in the press and talking about how much they want him back but didn't go "all in" like they do for Rex, Mario, etc. That sends a message your actions don't back up your words

An inside source I used to have with the Browns once told me that impact starting players consider it disrespectful to make them play out their contract year. I certainly understand their feelings.

Of course. Being somewhere you clearly feel wanted has to factor in though. They need to get it right with Dareus. If they wait until end of 2015 season to open negotiations he's gone too.

he didn't wait until the last minute - they reportedly started talking extension in March 2014

Oh, the irony! :rolleyes:

Thank you for again proving my point.

I just don't understand why Whaley won't use the transition tag. I think the whole "we won't tag you so we can negotiate in good faith" is a BS approach, it's a business and these guys have a short shelf life, they are taking the most money 90% of the time, at least the transition tag gives us the chance to say yes or no to matching a deal.

They didn't use the franchise tag because that would've guaranteed a salary of around $14m for 1 yr. That is a lot more than Hughes is worth and more than he will get on the open market.

I see your point.

I certainly would've liked to see them sign him during the year; we don't know what he was being told by his agent though. As soon as he started putting together another solid season, it started making more and more sense for him to hit the open market, ya know?

I think you need to calm down. Just me though. What does Hughes have to do with Dareus?

Hughes got let go Buffalo had a number, Hughes had a different one.

But lets not think clearly.

BUFFALO YOU SUCK

EFF YOU WHALEY.

RALPH IS CHEAP.

SAME OL BILLS!

ROFL, LMAO, ZOMG!

Agreed.

I'm confused why people think Hardy will come cheap. He may not get what he would've without the off the field issues, but he is still going to get paid a lot of $$$.

They live in a vacuum where 31 other teams trying to get better don't exist and they don't understand there's several teams that have to spend over $30 mil of cap room this FA period to avoid being fined.

The report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport (go ahead and doubt the veracity of it) indicates Rex did not want Alonso. And it makes sense because LB's in Ryan's defense are called to do different things than even what Pettine required.

Rex Ryan, despite employing Mike Pettine at one time, doesn't do things exactly like MP does. In 2013, Pettine used what he had and Alonso played well.

I've long suspected there was a disconnect between coaches and personnel people before Rex was hired. That, by all appearances, has ended and Rex has the authority to shape the team as he needs.

We're hardly in disagreement over these points... :thumbsup:

Instead of saying "Rex didnt want Alonso", Id be inclined to say "Rex didnt need Alonso, and since he was expendable, he was good trade bait".

I understand Pettine and Rex do not run the exact same scheme, that's why I said "pretty similar". Lots of wiggle room there.

And instead of saying "Rex has the authority to shape the team", Id be more inclined to say "Rex has the cooperation of the FO to shape the team to his needs".

Go Bills! :thumbsup: