Anyone else worried about the defense?

Searcy was not a depth guy. He is significantly better than Duke and was coming into his own. Highly undervalued by Bills fans. If the Bills don't fine a quality replacement I'll go WAY out on a limb and say they'll end up missing him more than Hughes.

Couldn't Corey Graham be the fill in piece?

Yeah, if we lose Hughes Hardy and Shady should be two motivated players

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rex wants instant pressure on the QB, he'll get it when he wants it. They won't overpay for Hughes because they need a true 5-tech right now, and they just might get a decent one for a lot less than Hughes's eventual deal. Rex values interior D-lineman a lot, even more so than Corners. Rex's defense's between the hash marks is about zones and blitz's if he can man up effectively outside and set the edge against the run consistently. Many are down on Leodis right now, but the guy had his best season under Pettine. Why Is that? Press man coverage. Zones will never be Leodis's strength. In fact, it really is a big weakness. Press-man is another story entirely. He is a hip pocket player. Rex knows this already, and will build Leodis's confidence all Summer.

I think we'll could be back to Pettine levels of inconsistency, but still be solid overall... I liked Schwartz's scheme better than I have ever liked Rex's. That being said, maybe we'll grab a couple solid guys, and have a good draft, to mitigate losses. Not worried too much yet. :)

Couldn't Corey Graham be the fill in piece?

Yeah, if we lose Hughes Hardy and Shady should be two motivated players

Graham could, but his real value is at CB and he'd be missed in the nickel package in particular. I know there are lots here who love Robey but he was exposed time and time again in coverage last year. No matter how you slice is Searcy leaving has an impact on the D, whether it's with Duke taking his spot (ouch) or having to move CBs around. The guy played well last year and will be missed.

wait til hughes goes from the 4th best lineman on his team to the #1 guy who gets the double teams. you will never hear from him again. check the cleveland game, he literally got pancaked 6 times. his 10 sacks are mostly "coverage" sacks after 5 seconds. your not going to miss him.

kiko , nice player, but didn't play at all last year and the defense improved (just sayin)

searcy, nice player, but can be replaced by rambo, robey, graham and duke williams.

plus i'm sure they will add defensive players via free agency.....david harris, a true NT, others ......

wait til hughes goes from the 4th best lineman on his team to the #1 guy who gets the double teams. you will never hear from him again. check the cleveland game, he literally got pancaked 6 times.

I agree with this bit - I think he is a great complimentary or 2nd edge rusher. If someone wants to give him $12million per year or thereabouts to be a #1 you will see a difference.

his 10 sacks are mostly "coverage" sacks after 5 seconds. your not going to miss him.

This was not true last year. In his first season as an OLB he got a lot of coverage sacks. I have been through and watched last year and he turned the corner fast a lot and got to QBs quickly for a number of sacks and in a lot of QB hurries.

I will wait to see what happens in free agency and the draft before I get concerned. No point in it now before the job is done. Even as it stands there's a lot of talent on this defense so there aren't huge leaps to be made to stay where they were last season, but some moves do need to be made (obviously) for that to happen.

Edited by BarleyNY

"Coverage" sacks is kind of what makes Hughes great, sure he gets some immediate pressure, but the fact that he never gives up on a play is pretty big. It keeps the QB under pressure throughout the play, giving us a large advantage. If his first move doesn't work, he'll continue churning until he gets there, and that's awesome.

No. I am worried about the OL. That's first priority right now IMO. Fix that and we have some hope.

Can you imagine what consistently sustained drives would do for our defensive averages?

Anyone that is concerned... Well just stop posting for a while b.c that is ludicrous.

Yes with a team that had no CBs b.c of his GM... How quickly you forget.

Our defense also probably did as much as our offense in those games. In our first offensive explosion we had all of two long passes and a ton of points on incredibly short fields.

You know how this board gets, we are going to lose Searcy and Hughes, so let's dismiss them as not big loses or diminish their talent. They are both excellent players and all things considered, I would love to have them back. That said, we can't afford the $15+ million it would take. Rex will figure it out as he is a great defensive coach. But I find it amusing when posts dismiss their loss with a wave. The Hughes is a coverage sack guy comment particularly, that's just stupid.