Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing which cannot be overlooked, IMO, and was probably highly discussed at OBD is, we had EJ and Tuel on our team. We HAD to get a vet in FA. As soon as FA started we would be bringing in crappy guys and other teams would be after them, too, and we didn't know if we would get the one guy less crappy we wanted, and risked being stuck with the crappiest of the crappy, and had to wait and take a lot of time away from going after and Rex-schmoozing guys we want like a top OG or TE.

Now we don't have to do that, even if we still want Jake Locker or someone else.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I see it like this.. EJ will be the starter and Cassell the back-up/starter in waiting... Then a QB in the draft who will sit and develop... Still I see the glaring need for a stud FA Guard... But I really like what is going on in the front office, no more sitting on their hands and feeding the fans BS.. Thank You Mr. Pegula!!!!

I'm digging it. Cassel is decent. For the crowd that goes by won loss record, I'm not sure what his is exactly, but he did go 10-5 with Patsies in 2008 and 10-6 and playoffs with Cheaps in 2010, so it has to be pretty good. 96 TD vs 71 Ints lifetime. Could be worse.

I think signing Cassel is a great move. Is Cassel going to be the starter? who knows. He is competition and at this rate I believe we have only seen a few moves, FA hasn't even started and we have a Premier RB and solid competition at QB. I love the aggressive position on the New Front office. Last years 24th hour attempts to acquire competition for EJ were disastrous. This year is entirely different. The front office wants to win and win now. Having been a Bills fan since 72, I cannot remember a time when the front office has ever been this aggressive. Ever.

It a great time to be a BILLS fan :flirt:

I see it like this.. EJ will be the starter and Cassell the back-up/starter in waiting... Then a QB in the draft who will sit and develop... Still I see the glaring need for a stud FA Guard... But I really like what is going on in the front office, no more sitting on their hands and feeding the fans BS.. Thank You Mr. Pegula!!!!

At least they're aggressively making moves, I'll give them that.

this. complacency from bills management is gone and hopefully never returns. trying your best to improve, even if it doesn't work out, is better than not trying. hopefully it works out just fine.

Can he hand the ball off? Throw to Watkins at least better than Orton? Not go into the fetal position under pressure?

I truly don't know... if someone else does please tell me.

Obviously we aren't going to be the 2nd coming of the Saints and chuck the ball around 40 times a game. IMO the biggest thing Cassel brings is intelligence and experience. What makes Brady and Peyton so successful is everything that happens before the ball is snapped, they get their teams in the right plays and identify the best matchup. I expect Cassel to know when a run won't work and a check off is needed and to not turn the ball over.

It's tough judging Orton knowing what we know now. When did he decide he was hanging it up? Was he playing the whole year just for one final paycheck? I think there were several times last year that Orton crossed the line in regards to self preservation. I expect Cassel to have a little more guts in that regard.

Adding his first hand experience of BB and Brady certainly doesn't hurt.

Can he hand the ball off? Throw to Watkins at least better than Orton? Not go into the fetal position under pressure?

I truly don't know... if someone else does please tell me.

I would say he is better in all aspects. Experience, pocket awareness, arm strength, ability to read defense. I thought he played well at both KC and Minn. Is he a viable game manager? Absolutely.

I see him as a mentor with the opportunity to start should EJ falter. Despite EJ's shortcomings, I really want him to succeed and have his obvious hard work pay off. Cassel has played on winning teams and witnessed the work habits of one of the ...pains me to write it or even think it....greatest QB's of all time in Brady. Passing his knowledge on to Manuel can only be a good thing.

One thing which cannot be overlooked, IMO, and was probably highly discussed at OBD is, we had EJ and Tuel on our team. We HAD to get a vet in FA. As soon as FA started we would be bringing in crappy guys and other teams would be after them, too, and we didn't know if we would get the one guy less crappy we wanted, and risked being stuck with the crappiest of the crappy, and had to wait and take a lot of time away from going after and Rex-schmoozing guys we want like a top OG or TE.

Now we don't have to do that, even if we still want Jake Locker or someone else.

This is such a good point. Now we don't have to worry (as much) about getting a guy we might be aiming for in FA (if we even cared about anyone outside of Cassel that much). No competition, we got "our guy" we can focus on whatever the hell we want now. I know a lot of people here are looking to bring in another FA, but frankly I think we'll head into camp with Cassel, EJ, Tuel, and a draft pick. Three will stick with the team (likely to be Cassel, EJ, and said draft pick).

Looking at Cassels contract he's owed a $500,000 roster bonus on 3/17 and $100,000 workout bonus so if he just stinks it up during offseason/camp/preseason then the Bills could still cut him and save $4.1 mil? So basically they gave up a 7th next year and swapped a round this year to take a look without having to convince him or guarantee his contract via free agency?

Somewhere here in Minnesota, Rick Spielman is having some beers, laughing his butt off.

Lol a 7th rd and flipping 5th with a 6th Ya he's got us good

Looking at Cassels contract he's owed a $500,000 roster bonus on 3/17 and $100,000 workout bonus so if he just stinks it up during offseason/camp/preseason then the Bills could still cut him and save $4.1 mil? So basically they gave up a 7th next year and swapped a round this year to take a look without having to convince him or guarantee his contract via free agency?

Also doesn't count as a free agent signing would could affect comp picks