Spiller: EJ may have been too "buddy-buddy" with players

That's why Buddy & Whaley wanted to have EJ learn the ropes from a vet for a few years but the plan was blown up with Fitz leaving & Kolb's injury.

One thing I take from this is that CJ also mentioned that EJ learned from the Orton experiment...also his work ethic & talent is apparent to lead the team.

It always comes back to Buddy and the phone prank...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to say my job is even remotely close to what a CEO or NFL QB faces, but I do manage in a difficult setting,. . . [D]id more business for my company then anybody else . . . Almost by default people listen and respect me. So if you perform well, its very easy to lead. If you don't or aren't established, it certainly takes a very unique individual. Especially if those people your trying to lead are more tenured/experienced/etc.

If they feel your goal is to kick the opponent's ass, they will follow. If they feel your goal is to "lead" or just get promoted, notsomuch.

--------

(boring story): I was 26 and at a job for 11 months, < 2 years out of school. I applied to be a supervisor, over people 2-5-10 years senior to me.

In the interview they asked "why do you think you can supervise people older and more experienced than you?" I answered, truthfully, "well, I truly love [this office/business] and I think people know that. I just want to help us [kick ass], and I think this will help me do it even more."

In the meeting where they told me I got the promotion, they said "we're not worried about co-workers being upset that we promoted you ahead of them. Because you are basically already their supervisor. We hear them paging you frantically. We see them running around asking where you are. AND we see you helping everyone, happily, energetically. We think they know, like you said, that you love this [office/business] and want to kick ass. We arent worried about you at all."

---

Basically, if they know your goal is to kick ass, they will accept leadership and even seek you out.

I fear EJ's goal is to be liked, in order to mask his deficiencies, or help him curry favor when he screws up. BAD.

I wonder if EJ has ever gone into a game, or a week of prep (since college) where he felt and exuded "I am going to kick the other team's ASS this week."

Edited by maddenboy

@mikerodak: C.J. Spiller says EJ Manuel was buddy-buddy with players, afraid to step on toes: http://t.co/QDsYXISX6Z

You know, this is a point I hadn't thought about. Rookies definitely get a good bit of ragging, even hazing, in the NFL. They're expected to pay for dinners, carry pads, stuff like that.

Rookies who balk can be ganged up on and brought into line, cocooned in cling wrap and chucked into the cold tub or stuff like that.

That must make it hard to be a rookie QB. You're a rookie, you're expected to keep a bit of a low profile and show respect. But you're also the leader of the offense and you're expected to take charge and tell people where to go and what to do - at the same time as you're trying to figure it out.

Would shed some additional light on why more QB seem to succeed their 2nd year than their 1st.

I don't want to derail the thread here, and I'm not anti Rex by any stretch of the imagination, but he seemed to have the same buddy/buddy issues with the Jets. He's a players coach, and I get that, I just hope he commands a bit more respect from his team.

AP_NYC_train_derailment_jt_131130_16x9_9

I don't want to derail the thread here, and I'm not anti Rex by any stretch of the imagination, but he seemed to have the same buddy/buddy issues with the Jets. He's a players coach, and I get that, I just hope he commands a bit more respect from his team.

Nope no issues here...

I just don't know why we need another damn EJ Manuel thread.

Dude. They are all EJ threads. Where have you been?

And i totally agree with you on Rex. Maybe too much a "player's coach." But that issue wont derail this high-speed locomotive.

And frankly, for fans who havent been to the playoffs in nearly a generation, almost solely because of a lack of QB, I think the fans are entitled to a very wide berth here.

Edited by maddenboy

Chan did a decent job utilizing him and CJ would be crazy to not follow him to NJ, but, even at his best, CJ is a 12-15 touch a game RB. I would not spend my money on such a player.

200-250 touches for a moderate deal doesn't worry much, it's whether he can be effective with those touches. In the right scheme it seems he can but who knows if that matches our plans

Edited by NoSaint

Rex is a players coach because he uses a ton of positive reinforcement in the locker room and in the media about his players. I don't think I've ever heard a coach say as many positive things about his players as Rex does. I don't mind it, a lot of these guys need a confidence boast. Tell them they're elite, they become elite, or raise that expectation. It's a different style and I like it. If he has to drop the hammer I feel confident he can and will.

1) This is Mike Rodent the Rodhack.

2) Who gives a crap with what CJ said. The guy needs to check his own balls and man up. He's a grown ass man and shouldn't need his QB to tell him he sucks.

1) this is a taped interview so it could've been bills fan 4 ever asking the questions, it's still direct quotes from spiller you're getting. 2) I follow the bills pretty closely and I don't understand the vitriol directed toward rodak. He's just a kid doing very rudimentary ESPN beat stuff. Give him a break.

If they feel your goal is to kick the opponent's ass, they will follow. If they feel your goal is to "lead" or just get promoted, notsomuch.

--------

(boring story): I was 26 and at a job for 11 months, < 2 years out of school. I applied to be a supervisor, over people 2-5-10 years senior to me.

In the interview they asked "why do you think you can supervise people older and more experienced than you?" I answered, truthfully, "well, I truly love [this office/business] and I think people know that. I just want to help us [kick ass], and I think this will help me do it even more."

In the meeting where they told me I got the promotion, they said "we're not worried about co-workers being upset that we promoted you ahead of them. Because you are basically already their supervisor. We hear them paging you frantically. We see them running around asking where you are. AND we see you helping everyone, happily, energetically. We think they know, like you said, that you love this [office/business] and want to kick ass. We arent worried about you at all."

---

Basically, if they know your goal is to kick ass, they will accept leadership and even seek you out.

I fear EJ's goal is to be liked, in order to mask his deficiencies, or help him curry favor when he screws up. BAD.

I wonder if EJ has ever gone into a game, or a week of prep (since college) where he felt and exuded "I am going to kick the other team's ASS this week."

I believe EJ did just that last year where he stood up in a meeting and addressed the team before a game. I believe it was the Chicago game?

1) this is a taped interview so it could've been bills fan 4 ever asking the questions, it's still direct quotes from spiller you're getting. 2) I follow the bills pretty closely and I don't understand the vitriol directed toward rodak. He's just a kid doing very rudimentary ESPN beat stuff. Give him a break.

I thought one of the most interesting (and maybe telling) comments was Spiller saying something to the effect of the QB needing to tell the running back "that's where the blitz is coming, get over there and pick it up".

One observation I'd made is that under Gailey, CJ had developed into a somewhat competent blocker. He was never FredEx who could flat out pwn just about anyone in the league, but he could get in a guy's way competently for a few seconds, which is all he needs to do.

That ability had almost completely disappeared in the last 2 years.

Now I get it. Fitz was making it simple for CJ: "CJ, that guy's gonna blitz. Get your ass over there. Block him". EJ either didn't pick up the blitz himself, or didn't realize he had to draw out a map for the vets.

1) This is Mike Rodent the Rodhack.

2) Who gives a crap with what CJ said. The guy needs to check his own balls and man up. He's a grown ass man and shouldn't need his QB to tell him he sucks.

I think that's uncalled for, myself. CJ was never a pound-between-the-tackles guy and our OL couldn't run-block worth a damn this year.

When he had good blocking and was used in a way that played to his skills, CJ didn't suck.

When you watch games from EJM at FL. State, you can tell he was way more confident. Obviously, success breeds confidence, but I don't believe that EJM has played as well as he is capable of yet as a pro. It's was expected to take some time, anyway. Whenever/whatever rookie they might bring in, is going to take a couple years, too.

JP who was hurt by a teammate for being a complete ass a couple weeks into his pro career?

EJ is too nice, said it before, say it again. The QB needs to control the team, be the unquestioned leader. Hopefully that's something he can grow into. Then all we have to do is hope that his physical and/or mental roadblocks can somehow be torn down.

What they need to do is biuld this team up around the QB (if it is EJ so be it) guys that make plays and make the QB's job easier......offensive linemen that control the line of scrimmage and make the running game work.......Tight Ends and big wide recievers that offer large catch radius and sure hands........

Make the game easier for the QB.....make the QB look better.....then the QB will be in a position to lead by example.

EJ lacks that &#33;@#&#036; part of his personality that a lot of great QBs have. Even during training camp when we were getting so many reports that the offense was absolutely terrible and couldn't do anything EJ would get to the podium and talk about how pleased he was with the work the offense did. He needs to be more accountable and hold others more accountable.

Then again, it's tough to hold others accountable when you're also playing like a scrub.

Tbh the same concerns are there for Mariota. He's already been labeled as "too Nice" and may have trouble in this area with his approach to vets.

I was listening to a National Media guy on the radio and he was describing Mariota and it was like hearing a description of EJ.

IF you play good guys will follow you. You can be an ahole and demmand respect, but if you can't play none will come your way.