Spiller: EJ may have been too "buddy-buddy" with players

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the hardest things for a young QB. JP had the same problem, he even said it once. That actually made me think he had no chance. He said something like these are grown men in the huddle and I have to tell them what to do. He said he struggled with that.

QBs are CEO's of the offense. Some people aren't cut out for it, and those people aren't successful nfl QBs.

Whaley said the same thing. That he was too nice of a guy and needed to take command of the team and the huddle more, and that he saw Orton do it and learned from him. Whether that helps at all has yet to be determined.

The problem with playing QB at a high level in the NFL, and why so few can do it, is because you have to be good at about 20'different things all at the same time. Some are physical, some mental, some only gained by experience. Just learning how to command and lead a team, if he has learned it will help, but not solve, his many issues. But hopefully it's one less.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

We've been hearing about EJ's soft demeanor for a while now. We've also heard that his 'accuracy' issues were more timing issues.

Both problems seem correctable... but you never know until it happens.

Whaley said the same thing. That he was too nice of a guy and needed to take command of the team and the huddle more, and that he saw Orton do it and learned from him. Whether that helps at all has yet to be determined.

The problem with playing QB at a high level in the NFL, and why so few can do it, is because you have to be good at about 20'different things all at the same time. Some are physical, some mental, some only gained by experience. Just learning how to command and lead a team, if he has learned it will help, but not solve, his many issues. But hopefully it's one less.

KtD is right. A NFL QB needs to master a lot of things. Some never learn how to master them all - or even enough of those skills to succeed as a starting QB.

In EJ's case, I'm hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

One of the hardest things for a young QB. JP had the same problem, he even said it once. That actually made me think he had no chance. He said something like these are grown men in the huddle and I have to tell them what to do. He said he struggled with that.

QBs are CEO's of the offense. Some people aren't cut out for it, and those people aren't successful nfl QBs.

JP who was hurt by a teammate for being a complete ass a couple weeks into his pro career?

EJ is too nice, said it before, say it again. The QB needs to control the team, be the unquestioned leader. Hopefully that's something he can grow into. Then all we have to do is hope that his physical and/or mental roadblocks can somehow be torn down.

Tbh the same concerns are there for Mariota. He's already been labeled as "too Nice" and may have trouble in this area with his approach to vets.

These kids need some swag. That was always one of the first things that was said about Jimbo back in the day. Either you got it or you don't and if you don't then you better get it because it looks like that's what needed.

Leadership ability is tied to performance. It's a lot easier to yell at a WR if you are performing well.

thats true. when you are in college and performing well, and a senior among guys the same age or younger - its a lot easier to step in and lead. as a struggling rookie/sophomore in the nfl with 30 year olds its a lot harder to hold the other guys accountable.

This is why sitting and learning behind an established vet is so important.

It's not just mastering the physical stuff, but observing the mental and attitudeinal requirements of the position from a pro perspective--where you've got to tell players 5-10 years older than yourself what to do and make them believe you can do the job, even if you're not yet certain you can yourself.

Hopefully, E.J will be a lot more assertive / confident this training camp and will begin to take that next step...

Edited by Lurker

Listen, EJ has a lot more than leadership not going for him, and the #1 is his accuracy downfield. It's a problem he had all through college, and he nearly got a few receivers killed already. I think that just because we drafted him in the 1st round should not be any reason to think he's any better than anyone else that's been here in the last few years. If he were cut tomorrow, would NFL teams be fighting over the guy? No. the answer you're looking for here is NO. I don't see any other answers at the position on the Bills roster right now, but just because that's the case, I'm not trying to make chicken soup out of chicken **** right now either. I'd love to see this team cut bait rather than hope some "QB guru" or offensive super hero(See Chan) squeezes some talent out of him, that is a bad business and team plan. Time to move on, both in here, and in the locker room.

No offense intended, but, hopefully less than Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix.

None taken. I don't care one way or the other. I like CJ but his output (18 TDs rushing/receiving in four seasons) doesn't justify big $$. I'd be happy taking Abdullah in the 2nd round.

Hopefully he learned from watching Orton last year. Players mentioned how Orton really took charge in the huddle and held guys accountable. The QB is basically another coach on the field so you have to make sure everyone is doing their job

When it comes to being assertive and aggressive people pretty much are who they are.

I am an executive chef and I see it in kitchens every day. Many people are great working a line, but if you ask them to lead the kitchen for a night they simply cannot control it and command the respect of the other cooks/waitstaff. It can be learned but some are just naturals. The people who are naturals are the ones who end up excelling in the industry. The people who are not usually stay working a line or more often leave the industry and do something else.

Sure it's a different field than NFL football but group dynamics are pretty much the same in any setting. People who are natural leaders are almost always more effective than people who are working really hard at being leaders. Heck, sometimes the most talented cooks are not the ones who end up running the kitchen.

This does not bode well for EJ in my opinion. It's going to be tough for him but I wish him the best. I just don't see it happening.

Edited by TheFunPolice